Cruise during September 2006 - hurricane season??

KristinandChris

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this board! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon during the second week of September and we're looking into cruises. I've been on one before but he hasn't been on any. We're looking at either leaving from Baltimore and going to Bermuda on a Royal Caribbean cruise or leaving from Florida and going to Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Are hurricanes a big problem during this time? If so, will the ship go to another port? Any suggestions or tips would be great!

Thanks!

Yes it can be a lot of hurracaines at that time of the year.

It depends on the where the storm is and the cruiseline whether they will go to another port or just out to sea.

I would try the Med or Pacific coast if you want a less stressful honeymoon cruise.;)

September is the worst month for hurricanes. Just look at all the damage done this year in the Caribbean by hurricanes. Even Cozumel docks are still a mess. Best to try Alaska or Europe if you want to avoid being nervous about cruises in September.

Our last four cruises have been in Sept. or Oct.One to Bermuda and three to the Caribbean.The first two we had no problems .The second two we had to avoid the the storm.We missed a port stop on one of the cruises.On the other cruise we missed our scheduled port ,but they gave us one that wasn't scheduled( which we liked better... Charleston!)The ocean was never rough.If we didn't know there was a hurricane before we sailed we never would have known.

Kris - Hurricane season is officially June 1 through November 30 every year - August and September being the worst months for hurricanes.

However, most of my cruises have been in early September, my favorite month to cruise, and I have encountered no problems. (I drive to the port, so no air time involved.)

If you're on a cruiseship, the captain will take the ship out of harm's way, so you aren't in danger. However, the thing you most need to worry about is actually getting to your port to board the ship. If the hurricane is headed to your homeport, the airports, as well as the ports, MAY be closed.

You'll probably be better off booking the Bermuda cruise rather than the Caribbean. Good luck.:)

Thanks for your replies! We're both pretty flexible and because we live in D.C. we might go ahead and book the Baltimore (Bermuda) cruise because we won't have to worry about airline tickets. If something changes we'll plan on being prepared and buy extra insurance if necessary. Thanks for the info!

NO WAY!!! I used to go to Playa Del Carmen in hurricane and never even saw it rain. My wife and I were in Playa in July for hurricane emily. Worst, scariest experince ever. Lucky to be alive. No way will we ever go during hurricane season nor should anyone!!!

Were you cruising at that time or was the vacation land-based? I would think going during to this area on a cruise during hurricane season would afford you a better chance of escaping the actual storm than would a land-based cruise.

Peak hurricane time....absolutely get insurance.

We're cruising from NY on September 3. At least by cruising from NY, the possibility of the embarkation port getting wiped out is extremely slim. Also, we're taking Amtrak, so no airport closing or flight cancellation worries.

Do not choose your cruise based solely on a specific port in the itinerary because you may never dock there. You're just causing more stress and asking for trouble, imho, if you just can't wait to go to wherever, and, at the last minute, you don't.

You'll be on your honeymoon, so everything will be wonderful, if you allow it to be. Just go with the flow, and you'll have a fabulous time. When you get back from the cruise is when the marriage reality will set in - lol! ;)

Congratulations and enjoy!

p,s, Kristin, just read that you're from DC. The still-under-construction Crown Princess leaves for a 9-day cruise fron NYC (Brooklyn) in September and you can Amtrak it also. We'll be stopping at Bermuda for a day. Here, check it out....(don't book thru Princess' site....the rates are very high). There are already many roll calls.

http://www.princess.com/pb/searchResults.do?time=49&trade=C&duration=&cruiseType=&ship=KP&date=&orderBy=&filterBy=&pageOffset=

Good luck with your decision!

Hi everyone,This is my first post on this board! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon during the second week of September and we're looking into cruises. Any suggestions or tips would be great! Thanks!

Archived