Cancellation Dilemma

sippican

That's not the way I interpreted what they said. It sounds like friends of the OP are canceling but the OP was going to tell Celebrity that they won't be there. I would assume the OP already has a Sky Suite and the OP made the other reservation for their friends. The problem is that today is embarkation day so there was no time to call anyone.

I guess we'll see if the OP ever comes back to let us know what happened.

That was my interpretation as well.

1. The OP didn’t mention travel insurance at all, so I’m not sure why that’s under discussion here.

2. I thought the OP’s friends had to cancel, and possibly, since they were to travel together, that they themselves would also cancel.

3. I can understand the OP’s desire to gift their cabin instead of letting X get double fares for it, but doubt it can be done.

Sippican, I’m sorry this happened, and I hope your friends will be ok.

BINGO - we are on the cruise and we already have a suite. Dear friends needed to cancel this morning. Question was asked because I just hate seeing X get double money for the suite. Would have loved to see someone get it. Yes, it may have been a “pie in the sky”idea but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Never mentioned insurance and that is not an issue here, so all of you insurance debaters please go and hyjack someone else’s thread.

The strange thing is I was sent to five different people trying to cancel the reservation.in fact, there was a couple in front of us asking if there were any upgrades, and were told no. (And before anyone else jumps in, I am the booking agent and have the authority to cancel on our friends’ behalf.) During muster their cabin number was called a few times.

Silkroad - thank you for your well wishes. This cruise was planned as probably the last vacation they would have taken, so yes it is hard, but they wanted us to come, so we drank a toast to them this evening,

The cabin sits empty.

BINGO - we are on the cruise and we already have a suite. Dear friends needed to cancel this morning. Question was asked because I just hate seeing X get double money for the suite. Would have loved to see someone get it. Yes, it may have been a “pie in the sky”idea but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Never mentioned insurance and that is not an issue here, so all of you insurance debaters please go and hyjack someone else’s thread.

The strange thing is I was sent to five different people trying to cancel the reservation.in fact, there was a couple in front of us asking if there were any upgrades, and were told no. (And before anyone else jumps in, I am the booking agent and have the authority to cancel on our friends’ behalf.) During muster their cabin number was called a few times.

Silkroad - thank you for your well wishes. This cruise was planned as probably the last vacation they would have taken, so yes it is hard, but they wanted us to come, so we drank a toast to them this evening,

The cabin sits empty.

Thanks for the update.

I read your original post exactly as you intended it.

I also hate to see something "go to waste" and would have felt as you did.

If you didn't know anyone else on the cruise how would you have been able to decide who to "gift" the suite to, even if Celebrity had allowed it?

I'm sorry your friends were unable to sail and wish you and them all the best in the future.

Because he booked it doesn't mean he paid for it. Of course they can't legally cancel someone else's booking but they can tell Celebrity that they won't be showing up. It sounds like this was a last minute thing that made them unable to sail.

The whole thing made me curious so I just looked at the OP's posts and this cruise is a two day cruise to the Bahamas so no big deal whatever happened.

As I posted, yes I could legally cancel their cruise.

Also, it may be “no big deal to you”, but I posted the question because it may have been a big deal to someone else who would have loved that suite, even if only for two days. It certainly was a big deal to our friends, who sadly won’t have the memories now.

As I posted, yes I could legally cancel their cruise.

Also, it may be “no big deal to you”, but I posted the question because it may have been a big deal to someone else who would have loved that suite, even if only for two days. It certainly was a big deal to our friends, who sadly won’t have the memories now.

Of course an agent can cancel a cruise with the permission of the client but you didn't make that clear until after I posted. I've booked a lot of cruises for friends without being their agent so there was no way anyone would know you were an agent from your first post.

That wasn't the way I meant it and if you look back at my first post I think I was one who gave you a positive suggestion and understood what you were saying. Of course it was upsetting for all and I was hoping the Hotel Director could help you. I just meant a 2 day cruise wouldn't be financially devastating.

I hope you feel better now.

Edited by Ma Bell

To the OP, I'm so sorry that your friends were unable to make the cruise. That said, you may want to check with whatever credit card company was used to pay for the booking, sometimes there are unexpected travel insurance benefits associated with credit cards.

Best wishes to you & your friends. :)