Vista to Neptune Upsell Dilemma

Greetings!

We are sailing 7 nights on Veendam on March 28, two adults with a 13 year old. We've already taken two upsells:

Inside to outside for $79pp

Outside to Vista for $149pp

We've now been offered an upsell To Neptune for $299pp.

We are frugal cruisers on a budget and this is our first balcony cabin on any cruise. So this is already a big deal for us. I am 100% certain we will love our current cabin (A146).

1. Am I making a mistake by not taking the upsell?

2. Is it worth waiting to see if they offer something better in the next 2.5 weeks?

I'd love to hear what others think. Thanks!

Greetings!

We are sailing 7 nights on Veendam on March 28, two adults with a 13 year old. We've already taken two upsells:

Inside to outside for $79pp

Outside to Vista for $149pp

We've now been offered an upsell To Neptune for $299pp.

We are frugal cruisers on a budget and this is our first balcony cabin on any cruise. So this is already a big deal for us. I am 100% certain we will love our current cabin (A146).

1. Am I making a mistake by not taking the upsell?

2. Is it worth waiting to see if they offer something better in the next 2.5 weeks?

I'd love to hear what others think. Thanks!

In checking your cruise, I notice that the price difference in the least expensive Vista and Neptune cabins is $800 pp. I normally feel that paying 1/3rd of this amount is a good deal ($267 in your case), so a decent deal IMO.

Further, I see that HAL is showing at least 10 cabins open for booking, two of which are the popular locations right across from the Neptune Lounge. Combined with the fact that the upsell offer went out yesterday (I assume), it appears that HAL is having problems selling out the Neptunes.

Thus, I expect that you will see another upsell come along, likely at $249 or maybe even $199 pp. At either of those prices I would jump on it quickly as I expect they will go fast. Remember, on this size ship the difference in size from a Vista to Neptune cabin is about double, so it is quite a big upgrade.

Edited by DaveOKC

In checking your cruise, I notice that the price difference in the least expensive Vista and Neptune cabins is $800 pp. I normally feel that paying 1/3rd of this amount is a good deal ($267 in your case), so a decent deal n,IMO.

Further, I see that HAL is showing at least 10 cabins open for booking, two of which are the popular locations right across from the Neptune Lounge. Combined with the fact that the upsell offer went out yesterday (I assume), it appears that HAL is having problems selling out the Neptunes.

Thus, I expect that you will see another upsell come along, likely at $249 or maybe even $199 pp. At either of those prices I would jump on it quickly as I expect they will go fast. Remember, on this size ship the difference in size from a Vista to Neptune cabin is about double, so it is quite a big upgrade.

Thanks, Dave! I originally misread the email and thought it was $299 total, which I was ready to jump on. So $199pp would be more manageable for us. Fingers crossed you are right! I agree it's already a nice offer. So tempting but I would be thrilled with an even better offer.

I'd jump all over it too.

Most full suites are at least 50% more than the Vistas.

No worries about not wanting to go back. We've stayed in suites in nearly every cruise line we've sailed. But the cost of a given cruise determines the stateroom picked.

However, we do have a certain stateroom we don't go below. If the price is too high, we just won't book that particular itinerary.

Since there are three of you in the cabin, I would strongly consider this upsell to get the larger cabin and the wonderfully large Neptune Suite balcony. However, if you only have a few at sea days you might not need or enjoy that extra space. You are in a striking zone that we use (per diem costs) when we get similar offers.

But to me, a lot would also depend on the itinerary and how many days you think you would be enjoying the extra cabin and balcony space. I also suspect your teenager will love access to the goodies in the Neptune Lounge, plus having these two spaces for retreat if any of you get cabin fever cruising in a small space together.

The $299 is a good deal IF the 3rd person isn't paying.

Neptune suites in this class of ship are bigger than the newer ships and very nice.

Also, just because 10 cabins show available doesn't mean that there are really 10 cabins. If some have booked guarantees, all the cabins show available until they reach the sold out. So, there may be a second round and everyone may jump on this deal (I would).

If you are happy with your balcony, stick with it or hold out in the hopes of a second round on the Neptune.

Neptunes and the space they give 3 people especially would really appeal to me - but each person is different.

As long as you are happy with where you are, that's the main thing. :)

I personally am thinking about what you could do with the extra money onboard or onshore. You will end up spending a lot of extra cash along the way. There is a good triple space in a Vista, you're not often in the room together. Now if the Neptune had an extra shower, that would make it worthwhile. Just throwing in the other side of the argument. 20 more drinks, 2 extra shore excursions, or a LOT of extra space?

Enjoy, whatever you choose.

MON

The $299 is a good deal IF the 3rd person isn't paying.

Neptune suites in this class of ship are bigger than the newer ships and very nice.

Also, just because 10 cabins show available doesn't mean that there are really 10 cabins. If some have booked guarantees, all the cabins show available until they reach the sold out. So, there may be a second round and everyone may jump on this deal (I would).

:)

You are obviously correct in that guarantees need to be considered, but also consider that HAL never shows more than 10 cabins open in a category, thus there easily could be more. Since two of the open cabins are right by the Neptune Lounge (a prime location for many), I suspect that there are more than 10 open Neptunes. Of course, if someone really wanted to know the exact number of cabins, not considering guarantees, you could go through the booking process and try each cabin.

Assuming that the upsell is pp for the 2 adults, I'd take it. (But I may not be as frugal as you are :)). With the Neptune Suite you get much more than a cabin and balcony which are roughly double the size of a standard balcony cabin. If you haven't done so, go online and take at look at the perks you get. (My wife swears that the best perk of all is daily breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.). None of these perks are necessary, but they can make a vacation special.

Thank you to each of you for your thoughtful replies.

DanOKC was spot on with his predictions: the $249 upsell came less than 24 hours after the original offer, on Friday. I waited until Monday hoping the $199 offer might come in since the second offer came in so quickly. Unfortunately for us, everyone else jumped on the offer because when I called Monday they were sold out. HAL website shows the Neptune suites sold out as well. I am on a wait list now in case someone backs out of their suite.

The good news is I am still tickled pink about the vista cabin. It doesn't come with all those Neptune perks but it will still be very luxurious to our "inside cabin" expectations. Everyone's advice, from "go for it" to "what else could you use the $ for," was greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if they hold at least one empty suite until the last minute. I've pretty much decided if they call with a last minute offer I will take it. It's likely to be the only time in our lives we have the opportunity to cruise in the top suites.

Thanks again, and happy cruising!

Hi. Can’t wait to see you on the Veendam. We got a similar offer and took it. We love the Neptune lounge, the huge deck, dressing room and the ability to have any of your dinners from the main dining room brought to your deck with tablecloths and everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. Can’t wait to see you on the Veendam. We got a similar offer and took it. We love the Neptune lounge, the huge deck, dressing room and the ability to have any of your dinners from the main dining room brought to your deck with tablecloths and everything!

Yes, I should have taken the offer on Friday but that's okay. Like I said we will very much enjoy the vista suite. We are looking forward to the meet and greet you are hosting! See you soon - two weeks from today!:cool: