Last Minute Pride Questions

JAJameson2010

We leave on the Pride this coming Sunday and I've been learning all about cruise ships for months, but I still have a few last minute questions.

1. We are supposed to board between 2-2:30pm, but I guess that will be later if the ship arrives later in the morning. Where can I track progress of the Ship?

2. We bought the Cheers package. When does that start? When we step on board? Or when we set sail?

3. We are stopping at Nassau & Freeport. If we buy things there, can we just use a visa card? I want to avoid carrying cash off the ship. Just seems like the safest plan of action!

4. Has anyone had trouble turning their cell phone data back on when they reach port and it connecting to the ships cell tower, instead of the towers on land at the port? Is there a way to prevent that in my cell settings? Android phone on T-mobile, if that helps. The tower on the boat is crazy expensive, but data on the land at each port is included in my cell plan.

Thanks for any help! I'm starting to get really excited about this trip!

I can help with some of Your questions.

1. You should get there by 2:00, You might have to wait but that ship leaves at 4:00 usually. I'd rather wait than miss the ship due to a flat tire or something.

2. If I'm not mistaken, the Cheer's Pkg. starts the Next morning. I don't drink so I'm not positive about this one.

3. I used my CC one time in Cozumel with no problem, but I would NEVER do it again! Take cash or get a CC with a couple hundred dollars on it then close it when You get home!

4. I never had a problem. I have Verizon and my phone was one of the few that got reception when we got back to port before exiting the ship.

Enjoy Your Cruise!

Thank you so much! I totally don't mind cancelling the CC and getting a new number once we are back home. I didn't even think of that risk. Maybe cash is safer then...

Boat leaves at 4, got it! We are planning on leaving the house at 11:30, so we are already padding by an hour. Good to know you didn't have any cell phone issues! Thank you so much! :)

Cheers package starts the second you step on the ship, you will either get the sticker on your card when you pick it up at check in, or stop at the renaissance lobby bar as soon as you board and they will put it on. (I have had it both ways).

Cheers package starts the second you step on the ship, you will either get the sticker on your card when you pick it up at check in, or stop at the renaissance lobby bar as soon as you board and they will put it on. (I have had it both ways).

Perfect!!! Hello Frozen Cocktails! :) Thank you!

Every time we go we we take several prepaid visas with us. That way when we are done we can toss them and not worry about anything major happening to our accounts or identities. If you want to carry cash you can do that, that way you can budget how much you want to take with you to each port without over spending. We usually buy the $50 visas and will only take one with us to each port.

Every time we go we we take several prepaid visas with us. That way when we are done we can toss them and not worry about anything major happening to our accounts or identities. If you want to carry cash you can do that, that way you can budget how much you want to take with you to each port without over spending. We usually buy the $50 visas and will only take one with us to each port.

Thanks! We will look into the prepaids :) Sounds like it's a better idea. Although the main benefit to our regular credit cards are that we have is fraud protection. That's why we internet shop with only credit cards. There's only 2 types of credit cards. Those that have already been compromised and those that already are. Just a matter of time these days :/

Thanks! We will look into the prepaids :) Sounds like it's a better idea. Although the main benefit to our regular credit cards are that we have is fraud protection. That's why we internet shop with only credit cards. There's only 2 types of credit cards. Those that have already been compromised and those that already are. Just a matter of time these days :/

Friendly reminder...If you do plan on using your Credit Card...Call your bank and inform them of the countries/islands you will be visiting. Even Florida!! Many times they will deny a charge if its outside your normal charging pattern and/or footprint. This is for security/fraud protection

If you have pre-purchased your Cheers , it will be ready as soon as your board.....IF you have not pre-purchased, you can choose to buy as soon as you board....you will pay Carnival's 15% as well as state taxes, This will allow you to use your Cheers until from the time you board 3 -5pm ish , this first day which ends at 6am the next day.

You can also wait and purchase Cheers on that second day, this is your last chance to purchase it.

It begins at 6am that second morning and you will not be charged the state taxes.

You will love the Pride, perfect size ship, perfect amount of upgrade restaurants, I would sail her again and again....who am I kidding....I have... Enjoy your vacation.

As I understand it if you are using Cheers you will be charged a per drink tax until you've left the Chesapeake Bay. My son had the soda plan and was miffed by this. I also understand that the ship turns its cellphone tower off in port. I don't understand the hesitance to use credit cards, they have fraud protection after all and I'd rather deal with that hassle after the trip rather than trying to figure out something else to use before the trip which is a hassle in and of itself.

I honestly don’t get the idea of separate prepaid cards... If you find questionable charges on your bill, you report it to the CC bank and they remove it and you have no liability. Wouldn’t that be the same if you used your normal CC vs getting a separate pre-paid card?

There’s only three things we do with CC when traveling:

- Make sure that the CC doesn’t have an international transaction fee...

- Notify the bank of our intended travel (as someone else mentioned)

- Have a family member carry a second different CC as a backup, in case the main one gets lost, stolen, or cancelled.

We’ve used our CC all around the world for decades and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I understand it if you are using Cheers you will be charged a per drink tax until you've left the Chesapeake Bay. My son had the soda plan and was miffed by this. I also understand that the ship turns its cellphone tower off in port. I don't understand the hesitance to use credit cards, they have fraud protection after all and I'd rather deal with that hassle after the trip rather than trying to figure out something else to use before the trip which is a hassle in and of itself.

I kind of agree on the credit card front, but I also don't have any automatic debits for bills hooked to any of mine. So switching card numbers isn't hard. I just called 2 of my credit card companies to let them know we will be traveling. So we have a backup card in case something happens to the first one. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my thought process.

Good to know about the taxes in the Chesapeake! How on earth does the ship keep all of this straight! Wow!

Super glad to know they turn off their cell towers in port! Giant relief! I was researching using the cell phone in port and there were lots of complaints about incorrect crazy charges due to connecting to the ship's tower. So we will be patient and not rush turning that phone back on until everything is completely docked and settled. :)

Thank you so much for the insight!

I honestly don’t get the idea of separate prepaid cards... If you find questionable charges on your bill, you report it to the CC bank and they remove it and you have no liability. Wouldn’t that be the same if you used your normal CC vs getting a separate pre-paid card?

There’s only three things we do with CC when traveling:

- Make sure that the CC doesn’t have an international transaction fee...

- Notify the bank of our intended travel (as someone else mentioned)

- Have a family member carry a second different CC as a backup, in case the main one gets lost, stolen, or cancelled.

We’ve used our CC all around the world for decades and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Good tip about keeping the cards separate! The main one we will be using doesn't have foreign transaction fees. Our back up will totally ding us though. Although in that case, I assume the fees will be the least of our worries.

I think with the prepaid cards, you don't have any fraud protection, but it just limits the amount of damage that can be done. Just diff comfort levels for different folks. With technology it's easy to see in real time any issues. If I see crazy charges on my credit card, I don't panic, just pick up the phone and start the dispute & the change the card number process.

I was on Pride 2/4 and 3/4..Just another tip:

Freeport has some smaller shopping kiosks as soon as you get off the ship.

Some had some cute things but don't take credit cards. The bigger stores do.

A woman near me went to buy a $4 trinket and they wouldn't take her CC.

Carry some "small bills" in case you come across this as well

Have fun! I love Pride. Going back on the 14 day Journey in November.:)

Just wanted to say we'll be one the Pride with you, boarding at the same time! If you see a lady with 2 crazy kids, her husband, in-laws, and brother, that's me! See ya on board!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Wow! That is a lot of people to travel with! :') It'll be just us on our honeymoon! :) I'll be the crazy paranoid anxious lady!

I was on Pride 2/4 and 3/4..Just another tip:

Freeport has some smaller shopping kiosks as soon as you get off the ship.

Some had some cute things but don't take credit cards. The bigger stores do.

A woman near me went to buy a $4 trinket and they wouldn't take her CC.

Carry some "small bills" in case you come across this as well

Have fun! I love Pride. Going back on the 14 day Journey in November.:)

Super helpful! Thank you! We will bring a small amount of cash with us when we get off. We have an excursion booked for Freeport. A tour through waterfalls, then shopping? This leave at 8am though... I'm not sure if we will actually get to that one! LOL

I keep reading that Nassau is really pushy with vendors at the port, so we may not be off the ship there for long. I'm totally a "don't touch me" person.

I still have to research what to expect at each individual port :) Running out of research time! LOL