Oceania Cruises Introduces Free Wi-Fi Fleetwide

LauraS

OK, it's the end of April. Any reports about:

Passengers who would like to stream music and movies or video chat with friends and family at home will need to upgrade to Wavenet Prime, at a cost of $9.99 per person, per day.

"With our new Wavenet high-speed internet, our guests and crew can continue to surf, post and stream aboard our ships from anywhere around the globe, just as they would at home," stated Bob Binder, president & CEO of Oceania Cruises, in a company statement.

Well, I wouldn't say "just like home". It's actually pretty fussy, and not terribly fast, but certainly adequate for email, browsing, uploading photographs and so on.

Only one account and one device at a time per stateroom, and sometimes the thing drops out entirely. When there's a shipload of people using it at the same time, go get some coffee.

But. It's free, and it's adequate. I see no need to upgrade to the streaming service.

Hi Pete.

As in your other thread (great trip review by the way), I'm trying to ask about the $10/day high speed internet that I quoted, not the free which was clearly stated is only for low band width usage.

Cheers,

John

PS: Try not to get the Riviera in any more accidents please :)

The excursions are so overpriced on Oceania, even with the package discount! You can book private excursions with one or two other couples (easy to find people on the roll call) and save a bundle. Besides, the private excursions are so much better! You get a local guide and there are 4-6 people, instead of being on a bus. With a private excursion if you see something you want to stop and photograph the guide will stop for you, or if you want to get out of the car to get a better look at something the guide will let you do that. The guide will take you where you want to go and it is a more personalized experience. I have found that most of the Oceania excursions are mainly just bus tours.

This makes sense if you're on a shorter cruise, but think about the cost of this private vs. ship tour question if you have 90 ports! On our upcoming world cruise, we took the shore excursion perk and will get 36 included tours each....that has a value of up to $7,164. That covers 1/3 of our ports and the others we will likely do DIY walks/tours.

If you choose to do all private tours, usually at $50-100 each, that would cost $4,500-9,000! Add that to the cruisefare and it's not realistic for some people....like us. So, despite the fact that I prefer small group, private tours....I can't afford them for the world cruise. The OLife perk is helping us be able to do this exciting voyage! :D

This makes sense if you're on a shorter cruise, but think about the cost of this private vs. ship tour question if you have 90 ports! On our upcoming world cruise, we took the shore excursion perk and will get 36 included tours each....that has a value of up to $7,164. That covers 1/3 of our ports and the others we will likely do DIY walks/tours.

If you choose to do all private tours, usually at $50-100 each, that would cost $4,500-9,000! Add that to the cruisefare and it's not realistic for some people....like us. So, despite the fact that I prefer small group, private tours....I can't afford them for the world cruise. The OLife perk is helping us be able to do this exciting voyage! :D

Wow, I thought this thread was about the new wifi. How did that get derailed to Olife tours???

Threads get derailed all the time ... it's the nature of the beast.

I speak as someone who has been guilty ... I didn't intend to but an extraneous thought can take off.

Threads get derailed all the time ... it's the nature of the beast.

I speak as someone who has been guilty ... I didn't intend to but an extraneous thought can take off.

Hi Mura, OK now I know who to blame next time ;p

See you next week!

John