NCL Cuba Excursions

drvmywifecrzy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We did the Cigar and Rum tour, night-time tour of the squares and Sloppy Joes, and the Hemmingway house.

Cigar and Rum tour: We like it. Rum factory is closed but had live music playing, had rum tasting and they really pushed cigars. They also had a coffee shop at the Rum factory which was included but nice to tip; the fun drink was fire water mixing a flaming rum with coffee and pouring from overhead to the bars, lights off of course. Then we went to the cigar factory and got to see some of the process, smelled very good in there. Also went to an artsy street/alley. Guide then took us to another cigar store. And then finally to another venue with some older historical prints.

Night on the square was made even more interesting with the thunderstorm but was nice eating and drinking at Sloppy Joes; they brought us huge a Cuban sandwich, rum and coke and then a beer. Then brought us back to the Squares near port and had mojitos at an alley bar and the guide discussed the squares.

Hemingway’s was busy but still an interesting house. You are not allowed in but all the doors and windows are open and it looks like a museum. They say it’s how he lived, he left meaning to return. The second half of the tour felt repetitive for us, going back to the square.

We didn’t do the Tropicana because I don’t like to sit but didn’t hear any great reviews, people said it was ok but wanted to experience.

If you take a tour, time can feel rushed you don’t have much time while on to stop in a shop so if you see something you should get it then.

There is time between day and night tours but my wife wanted time to refresh and recharge.

Have fun. Whatever you do, Cuba in general is a great experience.

• 2 months later...

Going on Sun in Sept. Just booked, so totally in the dark about everything. Trying to make decisions about what to do, the certification form, etc. Need so many answers, and that isn't my norm. From your post, however, you don't have to stay ashore the entire day, you can go back to the ship a.nd return to the city? How much time does that (re) process take?

Thanks

Correct, in my experience you oils go and go. It’s very similar to the going through tsa. Have your passport out with visa for customs line, they will take your visa and stamp your passport the first time. Then you step over to X-ray, they had 2 machines. After that is money exchange, plenty of lines, but get enough for tipping guide/driver and souvenirs. Then walk down to buses or straight outside, you will be close to a town square. Getting back, you need to have your cruise ship card out to get in the building, back through customs and X-ray and you walk back on ship. When we returned it was pretty quite but we stayed out after our tour. Next times through it’s the same process just no visa and maybe no money exchange. It seemed very simple. If your organized we were off ship to bus in about 15 minutes but we try to make it smooth, didn’t seem the norm for everyone we were last out for our tour from the ship and easily the first on the bus. Don’t stress about it, Norwegian runs you through it well.

We did the Cigar and Rum tour, night-time tour of the squares and Sloppy Joes, and the Hemmingway house.

Cigar and Rum tour: We like it. Rum factory is closed but had live music playing, had rum tasting and they really pushed cigars. They also had a coffee shop at the Rum factory which was included but nice to tip; the fun drink was fire water mixing a flaming rum with coffee and pouring from overhead to the bars, lights off of course. Then we went to the cigar factory and got to see some of the process, smelled very good in there. Also went to an artsy street/alley. Guide then took us to another cigar store. And then finally to another venue with some older historical prints.

Night on the square was made even more interesting with the thunderstorm but was nice eating and drinking at Sloppy Joes; they brought us huge a Cuban sandwich, rum and coke and then a beer. Then brought us back to the Squares near port and had mojitos at an alley bar and the guide discussed the squares.

Hemingway’s was busy but still an interesting house. You are not allowed in but all the doors and windows are open and it looks like a museum. They say it’s how he lived, he left meaning to return. The second half of the tour felt repetitive for us, going back to the square.

We didn’t do the Tropicana because I don’t like to sit but didn’t hear any great reviews, people said it was ok but wanted to experience.

If you take a tour, time can feel rushed you don’t have much time while on to stop in a shop so if you see something you should get it then.

There is time between day and night tours but my wife wanted time to refresh and recharge.

Have fun. Whatever you do, Cuba in general is a great experience.

Thanks for info! I’m there in October and am doing a private day tour but because I have excursion credits, was thinking about doing the evening tour through the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done private tours with havanajourneys twice & loved it. City tour is $100 total for 2 or 3 people. They will tailor tour to what you want to see. It is OFAC compliant. They pick you up across from the cruise terminal & tour lasts about 6 hours, half walking, half driving in vintage car.

Thanks for info! I’m there in October and am doing a private day tour but because I have excursion credits, was thinking about doing the evening tour through the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you have a lot of OBC to burn (not just the usual $50), it will still likely be cheaper to just take a private tour for the evening or go out on your own. The NCL markup for excursions in Cuba is ridiculously high.