Tours being Offered for my Ports -- Finding Out Only After Booking!

zorrosuncle

So often I can find out about the tours my particular cruise offers only after I book. But tours and their pricing are very important to me in advance. A cruise that I have already booked, I am finding is disappointing in the tours offered.. Likewise, I often find that the cruise port is many miles from the city with no way of getting there on my own except by purchasing a tour I don't want. And often though I think I am going to see an interesting church or building, it turns out to offer a drive-by only with pictures taken through bus windows. Pretty bad! On this trip, one of the tours offered is actually higher in price than the cost of my cruise cabin. And I am reluctant as a solo passenger to take a chance on booking an outside tour when the ship holds over you the threat of missing the departure with passport and valuables left on board.. Its like my way or the highway!

Edited by zorrosuncle

Several factors come into play:

1- how far out from actual cruise date are you? Many times, a smattering tours are listed initially, and then more tours are added as additional contracts are arranged.

2- I always look at where and how close is the next port - if timing is crucial. Also, are you referring to tender port(s) or just walk off?

Recently, I arranged private excursion from Semarang, Indonesia to Borobudur. One fact that helped me in my decision is that we were 20 people, safety in numbers? ;p. I also did a LOT of research, emailing others (cruise critic, through trip advisor) who had done the same tour with the company I was considering,

I really debated this - and in the end we all agreed to go with private tour, Needless to say, we beat the HAL busses back to port by a long shot. We were at the temple site and practically finished when the HAL tours started showing up.

As far as distance from port - some cities/towns are better visited on a land trip - exactly for this reason. However, when you're in that situation, make the best of it - sometimes choosing something closer to port, but perhaps less "big ticket/must see ".

if you name some of the destinations/ports you are considering or which are a concern - you may get some advice.

Also doing a search on the destinations/ports forum might give you some insight and help in making a decision.

I have had 50% success with HAl tours (and I am being kind - it's probably lower).

Have you joined your roll call? There are probably private tours being organized.

Back when I did South America, I was nervous on private tours - so anything requiring water I did a HAL tour and anything else was private and we did it on our own as I hadn't discovered roll calls yet ;)

Back then, IMO, HAL tours were a much better quality than they are now.

Go to your roll call, join in, see what's happening and what people are planning. Not just for tours, but as a solo, it's nice to connect and go to your meet and greet. I bet you meet some very nice people that you will enjoy spending time with :)

As to the ship's supposed guarantee - if they can. Say what they will, they have left people in ports. Most times, not, but it has happened. Every private tour I have been on has been back long before the HAL tours.