Carnival Cruise Insurance

BIG POOCH

Our cruise is coming up on Sunday, and my son had his first ever seizure on Monday night. We saw a neurologist today, and she said we could still go on the cruise, and we will do tests when we get back. Well, tonight he had another one, and I have a feeling she is going to say we can't go now. The cruise does not matter to me if we can't go, as I only care about his safety, but I bought Carnival Cruise Insurance and I'm wondering how it will work in this case?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am so sorry about your son, I know that is alot of anxiety for you also. I know you will receive better answers but you will probably need that specifically in a note from the neurologist that he can't go.

I hope everything works out with your son.

Don't assume, get the facts. Call Carnival and ask them what is covered under your insurance. I could be wrong here, but I remember reading something about Carnival insurance not paying on "known" conditions. Now a broken leg, heart attack are not "known" conditions. Your sons seizure is known to you. Better to get the right facts, than a large bill the insurance company may not pay due to a misunderstanding.

If all goes well with the insurance claim I would foresee you getting back a 100% refund.

Just make sure you call the insurance company and that you fill out 100% of the forms.

If nothing else and you're uncomfortable going, you can exercise the Cancel For Any Reason portion of the insurance. (You MUST cancel 48 hours prior to trip departure).

Cancelling using this option only gives you a 75% credit towards a future Carnival cruise.

Don't assume, get the facts. Call Carnival and ask them what is covered under your insurance. I could be wrong here, but I remember reading something about Carnival insurance not paying on "known" conditions. Now a broken leg, heart attack are not "known" conditions. Your sons seizure is known to you. Better to get the right facts, than a large bill the insurance company may not pay due to a misunderstanding.
Are you confusing the cover if they do cruise Vs cancel? If they cancel due to illness that only manifested on Monday, the policy "should" cover cancellation and pay out.

If OP decides to go ahead with the cruise, then the seizure becomes a "pre-existing" condition for that cruise and anything attributable to the condition (and unfortunately without a complete work up and diagnosis is pretty much everything) will not be covered by the policy.

OP I sincerely hope everything, and especially your son's long term health work out for the better.

Good luck and best wishes![emoji56]

I bought carnival insurance a couple of cruises ago and ended up in hospital with appendicitis 2 weeks prior to going. Although I was home prior to departure date my surgeon stated no travel for 3 months....just call the insurance claim number you have, they will send you forms for the dr. to fill out, and you will have refund quickly (at least I did!) both my cruise fare and airfare. No further questions asked besides the medical form.

My DH had a medical issue (heart) causing us to cancel 4 days before our cruise.

Our TA cancelled with Carnival (who refunded all monies we'd paid to them - port fees, taxes, excursions, bottled water - in less than 2 weeks.

There's a link for the 3rd party insurance company that covers the cruise fare part. They'll open a folder for you and email the forms you need to fill out including one for the doctor and a list of any receipts you need to send.

We had all of our money back within 3 weeks of sending it in to the 3rd party insurer less the $$ we paid for the insurance policy. We felt that the $200 we spent to get $2,000 back was well worth it.

PS ... the form for the Dr had a place for them to write in that he was not allowed to travel for 30 days.

Our last cruise was set for September. We had insurance from Carnival. I had was hospitalized with a stroke three days prior. I called Carnival from the hospital and cancelled. They put me in contact with the insurance carrier. They emailed me some paperwork to fill out and submit. Between Carnival and the insurance company, we had 100% of our money back in less than 3 weeks of filing the claim. That last part may not be paramount or top of mind, the health of your son is, I'm sure, but I mentioned it just to demonstrate how painless the whole process was. I hope for the best for you.