New Orleans streetcars

npb

How far is it from Julia St port to the Riverfront streetcar?

It could not be closer unless they re-routed the tracks onto the ship. As you exit the terminal building, turn left and the first thing you come to is the streetcar stop.

Harris

Denver, CO

It could not be closer unless they re-routed the tracks onto the ship. As you exit the terminal building, turn left and the first thing you come to is the streetcar stop.

Harris

Denver, CO

Yes ... it is right there!! You can't miss it.

Yes, very close. We used it for last year’s jazz cruise. Typical crowd mentality at times with line cutters and second streetcar drivers coming up behind the first car letting riders on from the back of the line instead of keeping the doors closed and pulling up once the first was full. Didn’t have this issue at other streetcar stops, so be prepared for some possible aggravation at Julia street at peak times.

Yes, very close. We used it for last year’s jazz cruise. Typical crowd mentality at times with line cutters and second streetcar drivers coming up behind the first car letting riders on from the back of the line instead of keeping the doors closed and pulling up once the first was full. Didn’t have this issue at other streetcar stops, so be prepared for some possible aggravation at Julia street at peak times.

Since you went on last years jazzcruise, I have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind

1. Was there any jazz on the ship?

2. Did you use ship shuttle to jazz fest?

Thanks

Rita

Are their any cabs available at the pier? I have difficulty walking anything over 2 to 3 blocks. I can do it but causes very much pain. The first morning we are headed straight to Cafe DuMond and after some treats there walking another 2 blocks to catch a private tour. I was wondering the distance from the SHIP to the Cafe. Thinking of getting a taxi for that part so to start out on good footing. Thanks for any help!!

One of the major complaints was that celebrity didn’t do any special entertainment linked to the jazz fest. It was just like any Normal cruise that just happened to be in New Orleans.

You could come/go 24 hours a day while docked. There were plenty of shows in town at various venues at night so those are your nightly options unless Celebrity listens to feedback and brings on some special entertainment.

We did try the ship shuttle one day, but if I remember correctly it was limited in timing. It may have had a few departures in the morning, but there was only one at the end of the day. The Celebrity piece just took you from the pier to where General boarding was for the buses. You could easily take the streetcar to the same place and buy a festival tix separately. Celebrity just ran one shuttle from the bus arrival spot at the end of the day. We always came back a little early and just took the streetcar back to the pier.

Are their any cabs available at the pier? I have difficulty walking anything over 2 to 3 blocks. I can do it but causes very much pain. The first morning we are headed straight to Cafe DuMond and after some treats there walking another 2 blocks to catch a private tour. I was wondering the distance from the SHIP to the Cafe. Thinking of getting a taxi for that part so to start out on good footing. Thanks for any help!!

I don't know if this will interest you, but Cafe du Monde has a small cafe right in the outlet mall beside the ship. I have heard the beignets are even better there than at the original Cafe du Monde and the lines are much, much shorter. When we were in NOLA for Mardi Gras, the line at the original Cafe du Monde was nearly a block long!

Furthermore, the night of Mardi Gras, the chef in the Ocean View Cafe made beignets and Hubby and I both thought they were better than at Cafe du Monde. We were on Reflection, however. I don't know if you will be on Reflection or Equinox, so you may not be able to depend on beignets aboard the ship.

I'm in New Orleans at the moment at a conference in a hotel at the end of Canal Street. Just so you are aware, I walked over past Cafe DuMond about 10:30 this morning and the line to get in there was almost a block long. Allow yourself enough time, if you must have the biegnets.

are any of the streetcars wheelchair accesible

Unfortunately not. They are old style streetcars.

There are lots of cabs at the terminal and they do have wheelchair accessible vans.

The best transportation deal in the Country though. $3 per day for all trolleys and buses.

Was just there for a (different line) cruise.

Just an FYI for anyone that may be interested. You can pre-purchase passes for the streetcars. We are going on the April 23rd Jazz Cruise on Equinox and we ordered 3 day passes for $9.00, and they were mailed to us. Very convenient! Here’s the link to order: https://ecommerce.norta.com/Store

If you are a senior the streetcar is only .40. But you need exact change. I’m wondering if that’s the same for the buses?

Rita

One of the major complaints was that celebrity didn’t do any special entertainment linked to the jazz fest. It was just like any Normal cruise that just happened to be in New Orleans.

You could come/go 24 hours a day while docked. There were plenty of shows in town at various venues at night so those are your nightly options unless Celebrity listens to feedback and brings on some special entertainment.

We did try the ship shuttle one day, but if I remember correctly it was limited in timing. It may have had a few departures in the morning, but there was only one at the end of the day. The Celebrity piece just took you from the pier to where General boarding was for the buses. You could easily take the streetcar to the same place and buy a festival tix separately. Celebrity just ran one shuttle from the bus arrival spot at the end of the day. We always came back a little early and just took the streetcar back to the pier.

How far was the streetcar stop to getting into jazz fest? Glad you said something about the shuttle. Celebrity told me they run continuously the whole day

Thanks. Rita

How far was the streetcar stop to getting into jazz fest? Glad you said something about the shuttle. Celebrity told me they run continuously the whole day

Thanks. Rita

Hopefully Celebrity listened to feedback and is providing more shuttles.

Last year Celebrity didn’t run their transfer directly to the fairgrounds.

All the Celebrity-only shuttle did last year was take you from the pier down to the Natchez dock where the festival buses were. You boarded a separate jazz fest bus run by a bus company and this was also included in your excursion price.

You can also easily take the streetcar down to Natchez and buy your bus company trip separately without the ship excursion.

The bus company shuttle piece does run all day between Natchez and the fairgrounds. The mini Celebrity add on shuttle piece didn’t run all day. You needed to either walk or take the streetcar back from Natchez or the Sheraton if you didn’t mesh with Celebrity’s shuttle. As as mentioned the Jazzy passes are cheap and fill the void for any transportation gaps you may have although you can’t use the streetcars to get out to the festival.

Hopefully Celebrity listened to feedback and is providing more shuttles.

Last year Celebrity didn’t run their transfer directly to the fairgrounds.

All the Celebrity-only shuttle did last year was take you from the pier down to the Natchez dock where the festival buses were. You boarded a separate jazz fest bus run by a bus company and this was also included in your excursion price.

You can also easily take the streetcar down to Natchez and buy your bus company trip separately without the ship excursion.

The bus company shuttle piece does run all day between Natchez and the fairgrounds. The mini Celebrity add on shuttle piece didn’t run all day. You needed to either walk or take the streetcar back from Natchez or the Sheraton if you didn’t mesh with Celebrity’s shuttle. As as mentioned the Jazzy passes are cheap and fill the void for any transportation gaps you may have although you can’t use the streetcars to get out to the festival.[/quote

Thanks so much for your insights. The shuttle was expensive but I was going to use my obc only if the shuttle took you from the ship directly to the fairgrounds. Celebrity also said this was a chartered cruise whatever that means.

Thanks so much for your insights. The shuttle was expensive but I was going to use my obc only if the shuttle took you from the ship directly to the fairgrounds. Celebrity also said this was a chartered cruise whatever that means.

Rita

Since you went on last years jazzcruise, I have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind

1. Was there any jazz on the ship?

2. Did you use ship shuttle to jazz fest?

Thanks

Rita

The Jazz and heritage festival does have jazz bout it is a small part of type of music. Blues, Gospel, Rap/Hip-hop. Cajun/Zydeco/ Mardi-Gras Indian groups. Then there are the two Main stages with many eclectic acts. I do not recall any special events on-board. We used the streetcar to the Natchez dock and then boughtGreyline shuttle passes from there.

FYI - You have to have exact change to board the trolley

Unfortunately not. They are old style streetcars.

It may not be true for all of them but I'm pretty sure that we rode one from the pier to the French Quarter that had a wheelchair lift on the side.

There will be cabs at the pier exit. I was very serious about my earlier comment that the longest walk is from the ship exit to the pier exit. We were traveling with someone with health issues and that part of the walk just about did her in. There seemed to be ample wheelchairs available and staff to push them, I would highly recommend that you request one to get you out of the terminal then grab a taxi to your destination.