Good place to stop for the night on way to Cape Liberty

1025cruise

I'll be cruising out of Cape Liberty in June, departing on a Friday. If we don't just leave early Friday morning, I am entertaining the thought of driving down Thursday night. Not needing to be the first on the ship, not getting there until 12:00 is fine with me.

Leaving from the Boston area. Any idea on a good spot to call it a night en route?

I'll be cruising out of Cape Liberty in June, departing on a Friday. If we don't just leave early Friday morning, I am entertaining the thought of driving down Thursday night. Not needing to be the first on the ship, not getting there until 12:00 is fine with me.

Leaving from the Boston area. Any idea on a good spot to call it a night en route?

How much do you want to pay for a hotel? What exact date in June? Are you parking at the port? I'm assuming you're going on Adventure. Would you stay an hour from the port? Do you have AAA or are you a senior?

Don't want to pay a fortune. Planning to park at the port. We are going on the Adventure. Have AAA. Just trying to figure out a good spot to stop at. Normally, when driving to NJ, my preferred route is to go over the Tappan Zee bridge then go on the GSP. Not sure if that is ideal for Cape Liberty though.

Don't want to pay a fortune. Planning to park at the port. We are going on the Adventure. Have AAA. Just trying to figure out a good spot to stop at. Normally, when driving to NJ, my preferred route is to go over the Tappan Zee bridge then go on the GSP. Not sure if that is ideal for Cape Liberty though.

Hotels will be more expensive on a Thursday night.

We've been staying at the LaQuinta in Stamford. In fact we will be there next weekend. Not a fancy hotel, but serves our needs. Clean, queen bed, TV, free internet, and free breakfast. AAA rate is just under $100

+ tax. Super diner attached to hotel. Good access from I95 - we cut over from the Wilbur Cross at Milford.

From Stamford you need to wait until after 9 am to go to Cape Liberty. Your preferred route over the Tappan Zee can be picked up at I287. We take the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Saw Mill to the Henry Hudson to the GW Bridge to the NJ Turnpike. This route is cars only until the Bridge and has a $6 toll. I can provide detailed directions. I HATE the GSP and would pay money not to go on the section below I80.

I was trying to avoid the GWB. But I guess if I hit it after 9, it shouldn't be too bad.

In the end, we might just drive the morning of.

As I said from Stamford in I95 you can go across I287 to the Tappan Zee.

If you go down the Henry Hudson Parkway and get off at the GW Bridge (left exit), you go down onto Morningside Drive and make an almost immediate right onto a dedicated lane onto the GW Bridge. You do NOT want to go through the I87/I95 intersection. This is a cars only route through Westchester County. Here are the detailed directions.

If you come down I95 you get off at I287 west exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). You follow the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($6 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane on the bridge. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and get off at 14A.

We stayed at The Holland Hotel. It was nice. Very clean, friendly staff, well stocked free breakfast. It has a restaurant next door and a mall across the street. Parking lot was well lit and it is a nice area. We also spent our evening in NYC. The PATH ($2.75 each way, and 10 minute ride) is right at the mall and we took it to the 9/11 memorial, toured around and took the PATH back near Times Square. It was $80 for the night (Thursday)

We stayed at The Holland Hotel. It was nice. Very clean, friendly staff, well stocked free breakfast. It has a restaurant next door and a mall across the street. Parking lot was well lit and it is a nice area. We also spent our evening in NYC. The PATH ($2.75 each way, and 10 minute ride) is right at the mall and we took it to the 9/11 memorial, toured around and took the PATH back near Times Square. It was $80 for the night (Thursday)

It's also on the entrance road to the Holland Tunnel with constant traffic.

I have driven down to Cape Liberty several times from Northern CT. I like the Tappen Zee to the GSP and across 78. I prefer 684 rather than the Saw Mill. It looks longer but takes about the same amount of time and is easier. We have stayed in Nyack, NY and Country Inn/Embassy Suites in Newark. Nyack is 45 minutes or less to the port on a weekend. Certainly longer on a weekday. The Country Inn/EmbassySuites are by the Jersey Garden Mall and walking distance to food. Easy drive to the port in the am. Last time I drove back the NJT to 80 to the GSP which I liked, but as always, the NJT is tricky.