Parc Guell

srbbeachbum

We had been to Barcelona before and had seem many of the Gaudi sites but not the park. We took the Metro to the Valcarca metro stop and took the escalators to the top. This allowed us to walk downhill thru the park. If you get off at Lesseps you will walk uphill thru the park. In either case you get lovely views and can see, touch, and enjoy Gaudi's artistry. We toured the house and also the gatehouse (now gift shop). I'm glad we had seen his others works first but we had a very enjoyable day exploring the park.

The "monumental zone", the part you have to pay to get into, is under significant construction right now. You can enjoy other parts of the park for free but I personally wouldn't buy tickets for the monuments until the construction is finished. It's very unsightly and the reduced amount of space makes it more crowded too.

We've gone to Barcelona a couple of times and Parc Guell is one of the places we went to each time. It is one of those places that is different than other places we have been to. Take a look at some of the pictures from one of our trips.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/306

Excellent photos.

Keith

@mskaufman, so you know at 8ish GMT of today March 27th, when trying to access your page I get a "The JavaScript for this page failed to load correctly" error. Tried on different computers and with different browsers. Don't know if it's a temporary glitch in your website or what. Looking forward to see your pictures :)

@mskaufman, so you know at 8ish GMT of today March 27th, when trying to access your page I get a "The JavaScript for this page failed to load correctly" error. Tried on different computers and with different browsers. Don't know if it's a temporary glitch in your website or what. Looking forward to see your pictures :)

Hi Enric, I just tried it and it worked (1300 GMT, March 27). Please let me know if you continue to have problems. It is a Shutterfly site. Also, there are Barcelona pictures other than Parc Guell on that site. Here is a link to Barcelona pictures from a different trip.

https://southerneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/390

@mskaufman... so sorry, but just tried again and the same error. See for yourself (check the time, it's just a half an hour ago, 5ish PM GMT). This is the exact error: https://ibb.co/hrecvS

I have also checked with my laptop and with my phone -in data mode, to ensure it wasn't a wifi problem- and still... maybe someone else can check and see if it's a DNS thing or something else. Preferably it should be tested by someone currently "in" the States and someone outside. Also tried using a proxy located elsewhere (to ensure it's not a regional problem): http://www.gatherproxy.com/webproxylist Tried with one in the Netherlands -a country with very fast Internet. Same problem appears though (if you try, remember to untick "remove scripts" for it to work).

...@mskaufman, I continue getting the same message, maybe it's something regional (first time I come across this anyway) but again, sadly I'll be missing your pictures :((

Enric, Unfortunately I am at a loss on how to help you. If you'd like to send me an email, I can send you a direct invite to the album. Not sure if that would help or not. Here is one of my favorites. Mark

enhance

Thanks a lot... may I impose on you and ask you to send me the link via a Private Message in TripAdvisor instead? I would very much prefer not to post my email address in the open forum. My nickname there is the same than here at CC. Do you have a TA user? This private messaging is a feature I do miss here at CC. If it is too complicated, don't worry, I appreciate the intend altogether.

By the way, great picture of Palau Nacional (National Palace), built out of a 1924 competition for the 1929 International Exposition. This event had been postponed since 1917 due to the WWI and the ensuing Spanish dictatorship by Primo de Rivera imposed over this territory --yep, the Spaniards have the habit to establish dictatorships and absolutist monarchies against its colonies, like us here in Catalonia.:) Since 1934 it has been home to the National Art Museum of Catalonia (MNAC), one of best art museums in Europe for the Romanesque period (6th to 11th centuries).

Alongside a set of spectacular water fountains and illuminated cascades, which are on many nights, on certain evenings the open air Magic Fountain show is also on display. The Magic Fountain is a true balletic spectacle of water and light and music which has fascinated generations of Barcelonians since 1929. Check the website for specifics on schedules as it varies throughout the year. Worth noting is one the few "attractions" that continue to be free in this ever more materialistic world! Have a peek here.

The four columns located in front of Palau Nacional, in between this building and the Magic Fountain, -in the picture you can only see two of them- represent the four stripes of the Catalan flag, called "la senyera" (roughly pronounced "seh-nee-eh-rah"), the flag of Catalonia since the 12th century. The monument was designed by famous architect Puig i Cadafalch in 1915. Note that in this postcard of that time, the National Palace -which ought to be in the back- hadn't yet been built. This architect is also the mastermind behind other famous monuments in Barcelona, some of which are open for visits.

During the dictatorship of the Spanish general Primo de Rivera in the 1920s -who had a fiercely hatred against the Catalans- the demolition of this monument was ordered for what it represented: the pride of the Catalan nation -much like the Lincoln Memorial or the Statue of Liberty for you guys.The monument has been fully restored just a few years ago, many decades after such shameful event -and the passing of yet another long Spanish dictatorship, that of fascist general Franco, which had equally not love for us Catalans either. Now they majestically preside the entrance to Montjuïc

Edited by EnricM

@mskaufman

LOL!... no guiding, sorry... but surely we can meet for a friendly stroll one afternoon!

Thanks for your link in the private message at TA. Nevertheless it continues without working. Just for information: I did a bit more research and I discovered that the error is rather common with this website as there's a bunch of links (just googling "javascript error shutterfly") running back as far as 2010. Thanks anyway.

Has anyone been to the Parc Guell? What are your thoughts on it?

Joan

This was on my bucket list of things to see in Barcelona, so definitely you should go see it.

If you go, buy entrance tickets in advance on the website to the Monumental area, or it's a waste of your time. the reason Parc Guell is special and worth seeing is "the monumental area" and since you are buying tickets, get a tour with it, to explain the significance of what you are seeing. 1 hour, English guide and then you can stay as long as you want afterwards.

also, because of it's popularity, even if you don't do a guided tour, buy tickets in advance with a set entrance time unless you want to risk waiting hours for an entrance time.

Since we were staying near Placa Catalunya, we took the #24 bus from the plaza up to Parc Guell. The bus stops less than 100 feet from the gate where the tours start.

Afterward the tour, we spent time in the monumental area getting those iconic pictures. We walked around the rest of the park (the free areas) for views and then we walked over to the West side entrance, went to the top of the hill (turn de les tres crews), and then down and around and had sandwiches at the sandwich (Guelly Sandwich park) at the top of the street before walking down the steep hill (baixada de la Gloria), then over to the Vallcarca metro.

Go in the AM, when its not so hot and not so crowded.

This was on my bucket list of things to see in Barcelona, so definitely you should go see it.

If you go, buy entrance tickets in advance on the website to the Monumental area, or it's a waste of your time. the reason Parc Guell is special and worth seeing is "the monumental area" and since you are buying tickets, get a tour with it, to explain the significance of what you are seeing. 1 hour, English guide and then you can stay as long as you want afterwards.

also, because of it's popularity, even if you don't do a guided tour, buy tickets in advance with a set entrance time unless you want to risk waiting hours for an entrance time.

Since we were staying near Placa Catalunya, we took the #24 bus from the plaza up to Parc Guell. The bus stops less than 100 feet from the gate where the tours start.

Afterward the tour, we spent time in the monumental area getting those iconic pictures. We walked around the rest of the park (the free areas) for views and then we walked over to the West side entrance, went to the top of the hill (turn de les tres crews), and then down and around and had sandwiches at the sandwich (Guelly Sandwich park) at the top of the street before walking down the steep hill (baixada de la Gloria), then over to the Vallcarca metro.

Go in the AM, when its not so hot and not so crowded.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Joan

We very much enjoyed our tour of Park Guëll. We actually did a combined tour with La Sagrada Familia which worked out very nicely. We had a guided four of the park, including timed access to the “monument@ area. Then a bus took us to Sagrada Familia where we had a guided tour as well. Enjoyable !1323f7fc42d8dd207a85c3e6b0683e4f.jpg

We had brilliant weather.5dd75c78bdf75c9467a378db6117b04c.jpgthe mosaic work was stunning.