Disembarkation time question

Hi - The cruise listing states that disembarkation in Civitavecchia is at 8am. What exactly does this mean? Does it mean:

1) The ship arrives at 8am in Civitavecchia

2) All passengers will start leaving the ship at 8am

3) All passengers should be off the ship by 8am

I know that the timing is contingent on Italian customs but I was just trying to get a general idea so that I could pick a shuttle booking time.

Thanks!

I was waiting for others to respond but since no one has ...

Probably that means they expect the ship to have been cleared by customs at that time. USUALLY they want everyone off the ship at 9. I'm a bit surprised that it says arrival at 8 ... our experience (if I'm remembering correctly) has shown earlier arrival times than 8am. If they really don't expect to be cleared until 8, that 9am "get off the ship" instruction might be delayed.

It can't be delayed too much because they will have new passengers coming on board and those rooms have to ready for them.

But I doubt that you MUST be off the ship by 8am. There will be an announcement when the ship has been cleared.

A question for you: will this be your first Italian port? If so, that can affect the timing of departure as well. I'm guessing you wouldn't have to go through passport control unless it's the first Italian port. Normally we haven't had to do that (everyone gathers with their passports in hands for a face-to-face inspection) but it HAS happened on a few occasions. Hopefully not on this one! That would really delay things.

Mura

They have been posting the disembarkation time that they expect the process to start but the ship usually arrives earlier

When they used to say 7am arrival people would book ealy flights thinking they could get off at 7 am

Lyn makes a good point. We usually leave the ship as late as possible because we will be staying in the end port for a few days.

OTOH, when we arrive in Venice in late May, we will be leaving as soon as we can from Riviera (we overnight there) because we have a 10am flight. Because the ship will actually arrive a day earlier, we won't have a problem leaving very early.

When booking a cab or other transport, we play it safe. Besides, it hasn't often happened, but things might develop where the ship just doesn't get there when they expect.

Besides, if everyone on the ship tried to get off at the earliest time (even if you are on an "R" ship and not one of the larger ships), there's no way everyone could be accommodated.

So unless you have a real reason to leave asap, I'd be relaxed on time. Better to be safe than sorry.

Mura

We disembarked in Citivecchia last November. Ship arrived around 7:30 and disembarkment started around 8:00. Everyone had to be off the ship by 9:00. We were in Naples the day before so no customs/immigration issues at disembarkment.

At Southampton last summer, completely different story. Immigration held up beginning of disembarkment about 30-45 minutes and everyone had to go a face to face upon departure. I also believe, but can’t positively remember, they made everyone leave the ship and go through immigration, including those staying aboard for the next cruise.