Docking in Helsinki - is there shuttle service?

We're on the Brilliance OTS May 1st.

Does RCI provide shuttle service to town? I'm trying to plan my time there and need to know if I have an hour of transport from/to ship.

I found online we will be docking at the West Harbor berth LMA, which is a ways from the Market Square (Kauppatori). Any of you been here before? I think we will be at West Harbor Terminal #1.

I sure hope there is a shuttle - hopefully free - that takes us to Market Square. My impression ( as I have not been here before) is the Square is the most - or one of - popular places in Helsinki.

We get about 7 hrs on land and it looks like 1 hour of that will be shuttle riding.

Why is it so difficult to find such basic information on RCI website? Royal needs to offer more detailed port information for all their ports. Would be nice to find which pier / berth; how far from town; availability of shuttle service and expected fees, if any.

Susan

We're on the Brilliance OTS May 1st.

Does RCI provide shuttle service to town? I'm trying to plan my time there and need to know if I have an hour of transport from/to ship.

I found online we will be docking at the West Harbor berth LMA, which is a ways from the Market Square (Kauppatori). Any of you been here before? I think we will be at West Harbor Terminal #1.

I sure hope there is a shuttle - hopefully free - that takes us to Market Square. My impression ( as I have not been here before) is the Square is the most - or one of - popular places in Helsinki.

We get about 7 hrs on land and it looks like 1 hour of that will be shuttle riding.

Why is it so difficult to find such basic information on RCI website? Royal needs to offer more detailed port information for all their ports. Would be nice to find which pier / berth; how far from town; availability of shuttle service and expected fees, if any.

Susan

I believe you can take the tram. Ask on the Baltics board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=192

Yes there is a shuttle, but unfortunately not free (can't recall the price as we did not use it). At the nearby West Terminal, you also have public transport and taxis available.

... or in case of nice weather, a pleasant 45 minutes walk to the market square. ;p

The shuttle or taxi should not take more than 15-20 minutes depending on traffic (count 30 minutes using the public transport).

And yes the market place is the perfect location to start the day. Helsinki is relatively small and the market square area has most of the Helsinki sights within walking distance.

Hope this helps.

-jani

They were selling HOHO tickets when we were there, and one of the routes goes into town and back along the waterfront. Since they were going to places we wanted to see it worked well. Even had credit card machines to pay for it despite being just a couple of people standing near the bus without any kind of kiosk.

Its four years since we did our Baltic cruise and as others have said there was a shuttle into the centre of town. I seem to recall it wasn't run by Royal and was quite reasonably priced.

Where it dropped us off was very convenient for all the sights although I recall the Rock Church being a bit of a walk which is worth a visit.

Its a very interesting place to visit, one of the happiest places in the world apparently to live!