Minibus vs Uber? transport from Sydney OPT to hotel after disembarkation

Hi - I'm going on my first cruise next week (RCI -Explorer of the Seas) to the Pacific. I'm travelling with young children and family members and most of us are staying on in Sydney after the cruise so I thought it would be a good idea to pre-book group transport for when we arrive back to pick us up and drop us at our 3 different hotels. The cheapest quote I got for a private minibus was A$125 (quoted for 12 people but now it will be 8) which I thought was quite reasonable as the next quote was A$185. My sister thinks the first quote is still too expensive because her hotel is only a few km away on Kent St so she thinks we could travel by Uber for much cheaper. The other hotels are located at Pitt St and Crown St, Surry Hills. I think that it's preferable to pay a bit more for the convenience of having pre-booked transport, especially when we don't know how long it will take to disembark and we will also be leaving with a whole lot of other people who will all also be trying to find taxis etc so it is likely to be very busy. Also even though the Kent St hotel is only a few km away from the terminal, that doesn't necessarily mean that the trip in a taxi or Uber will only take a few minutes.. right?! Plus we would need to order 3 different taxis/Ubers as we are 3 different families. So apologies for the long and rambling post but my main questions relate to the time to disembark a ship and leave the OPT at Sydney (on a Sunday morning), and the cost of pre-booked private mini bus vs Uber to hotels afterwards. Any advice from cruisers who know Sydney and the transport network would be much appreciated!

Hi - I'm going on my first cruise next week (RCI -Explorer of the Seas) to the Pacific. I'm travelling with young children and family members and most of us are staying on in Sydney after the cruise so I thought it would be a good idea to pre-book group transport for when we arrive back to pick us up and drop us at our 3 different hotels. The cheapest quote I got for a private minibus was A$125 (quoted for 12 people but now it will be 8) which I thought was quite reasonable as the next quote was A$185. My sister thinks the first quote is still too expensive because her hotel is only a few km away on Kent St so she thinks we could travel by Uber for much cheaper. The other hotels are located at Pitt St and Crown St, Surry Hills. I think that it's preferable to pay a bit more for the convenience of having pre-booked transport, especially when we don't know how long it will take to disembark and we will also be leaving with a whole lot of other people who will all also be trying to find taxis etc so it is likely to be very busy. Also even though the Kent St hotel is only a few km away from the terminal, that doesn't necessarily mean that the trip in a taxi or Uber will only take a few minutes.. right?! Plus we would need to order 3 different taxis/Ubers as we are 3 different families. So apologies for the long and rambling post but my main questions relate to the time to disembark a ship and leave the OPT at Sydney (on a Sunday morning), and the cost of pre-booked private mini bus vs Uber to hotels afterwards. Any advice from cruisers who know Sydney and the transport network would be much appreciated!

It would be less than $100 for three taxis.

They will be lined up waiting no need to pre book, no need to go together if some want to linger on the ship or around the Rocks for a while, no need for a city tour for those going the furthest, each group straight to their hotel.

I agree with the previous advice regarding taxis. The fare for each would be around $25 and there are plenty of taxis. They keep rolling up as passengers for the next cruise arrive. If you go in separate taxis, you don't have to wait to get everyone together.

Also agree with the above. The private booking has to allow extra time to be early (to make sure they are not late) and equally reserve extra time in case you are late, plus travel time each way.

But as it's such a short distance, it's overkill. I thought it would be about $20, though depends how far on Pitt and Kent Street you are. (Pitt st may even be walkable if at the Circular quay end - it's all level and connects to Circular quay.) (Crown St is probably about $30-35). Either way, still substantially cheaper than the dedicated van.

It may also take a bit of time for vehicles to get in when booked, so I wouldn't worry about uber, unless there was some exceptional queue when you got out, or you walked around outside first for some reason so got picked up elsewhere.