Victoria BC questions

pisces68

Just wondering if there is a shuttle that takes you into town from the port. I know we can also catch a cab but should it be in Canadian or American dollars? I heard you can walk into town but not sure my knees can take it LOL Is there anything to do at the port? Shops or restaurant?

There is a bus service that departs directly from the cruise terminal. It's cash only but I can't recall what we paid. They'll take U.S. or Canadian but if you are using U.S. dollars the exchange rate will be 1 to 1. There is nothing to do at the port and it's

quite a walk into downtown. The shuttle bus is the way to go. Remember to bring some small bills as you would probably get any change back in Canadian currency.

When you get off the ship in Victoria there will be lines for cabs ready to go....think we paid $10 Canadian to get into the downtown area to do some shopping. Even if you decide to get off the ship a few hours later there will be cabs waiting. We have gone on a horse drawn carriage ride through the town...tallyho carriages. It's a beautiful town.

We did the walk with some who had bad knees, it still only took about 20 minutes to walk directly back from the Empress Hotel.

It took a little longer there as we did the scenic walk along the foreshore.

Both walks are quite flat.

Just thought I'd add that in.

Peter.

Just wondering if there is a shuttle that takes you into town from the port. I know we can also catch a cab but should it be in Canadian or American dollars? I heard you can walk into town but not sure my knees can take it LOL Is there anything to do at the port? Shops or restaurant?

Look in to the hop on hop off tour. you can search hop on hop off Victoria we did the big red bus

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it. I've never had to exchange money before. Would they do that on the ship for me or do I have to do it in town?

I go to my local bank beforehand and they do it for me. I always ask for$200 worth of small bills.

Anything left over I leave it for my room steward in addition to his regular tip. I was told the crew

exchange money among themselves if someone has shore leave and no local currency.

The walk might be flat to the Empress but I would have had difficulty walking it in 20 min but I am

a senior citizen. Someone in better shape might be able to.

I go to my local bank beforehand and they do it for me. I always ask for$200 worth of small bills.

Anything left over I leave it for my room steward in addition to his regular tip. I was told the crew

exchange money among themselves if someone has shore leave and no local currency.

The walk might be flat to the Empress but I would have had difficulty walking it in 20 min but I am

a senior citizen. Someone in better shape might be able to.[/quote

Thank you, good idea. I'll stop at the bank before I leave :D

I make it a habit to have some local currency when I travel out of the country unless I know for sure that US dollars are universally used. I have been places like Cartagena that some taxis and local restaurants only take the local currency. I get a good rate at my bank but my credit card charges a fee. It is all in your personal circumstances and comfort level. I agree that probably Canada is not necessary but I did use most of my currency at the Empress Hotel. Besides I don't feel comfortable using a credit card where it disappears with the server.