Life is short - book the cruise

ricew001

I was just on the phone confirming our cruise to Cuba next year. I was so very excited. Then I got a call on the other line from my husband. I switched over. He was calling to tell me his Dad had just died. :-(

This is why we cruise - because life is short and we want to enjoy ourselves because you never know when is the last chance when everyone is well and able to do something like this.

I was going to ask for your thoughts on Cuba and the Sensation, but now I must go home to my husband. We will take the time with family now and look forward to happier times in the future.

Sorry for your loss.

My husband passed suddenly at 51, eight years ago.

No one has to tell me twice: Smell the roses, drink the wine, take the cruise or cruises.

Yes, Life is short....Go for it!

We had similar situation, my father in law passed away 3 years ago at 79 years old. He was not sick, it was very sudden. We had a cruise planned for June paid in full. We still went, and had a great time, in his honor. He had always been afraid to cruise but we got him to go on one in 2009 and he was so excited to go every year after that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was just on the phone confirming our cruise to Cuba next year. I was so very excited. Then I got a call on the other line from my husband. I switched over. He was calling to tell me his Dad had just died. :-(

This is why we cruise - because life is short and we want to enjoy ourselves because you never know when is the last chance when everyone is well and able to do something like this.

I was going to ask for your thoughts on Cuba and the Sensation, but now I must go home to my husband. We will take the time with family now and look forward to happier times in the future.

Very true.

so sorry and I send my sincerest condolences. This too is why I cruise.

1986, I’m 28 my wife is 27. We are on American Hawaii cruises in the S Pacific. We get back on the ship after spending an awesome day anchored in Rangiroa. There is a note under our cabin door it says to call my brother-in-law. I do and he informs me my dad had a heart attacking and is dead. Bam! I’ll never forget it. It takes us 3 days to get home because we don’t get to an island with an airport (Borabora) for 3 days. The good news is 6 months later we went back and finished the trip. Yes life can be short.

Sorry for your loss. We lost my mother-in-law last week. It was expected (she’s been in hospice since Dec), but it is still never easy.

I couldn’t agree more, though. Live life now. Don’t put things off until you retire. Because none of us know if we are going to make it until then or how healthy we will be when retired.

My deepest condolences. I lost my mom suddenly 3 months after I took her on her very first cruise. She loved it soooo much and was extremely excited about the next one we were planning. Definitely made me realize that life is indeed too short to put things off that we want to do.

Great post. Sorry for your loss. We went on a family cruise a few years ago and and we had a great time. Kept talking about doing another one and finally planned the next one for last spring. But 3 months before the cruise my dad had a major stroke and we had to cancel. Unfortunately he hasn’t recovered very well and will probably never be able to travel far from home again. You never know. One of my favorite quotes is by Warren Miller (if you don’t know him, he was legendary in the ski film industry). “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be another year older when you do”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am really glad you posted this. I've been really anxious about spending over $800 for us to swim with the dolphins. My kids have always dreamed of doing this and I finally booked it, but have been second guessing if it's REALLY worth all that money. Like, daily I consider canceling. Your post sort of put me at peace, knowing I absolutely did the right thing. Life is too short! Let's live it up while we can!!

I’m so very sorry for your loss...

Two years ago, I “talked” my parents and my brother (and our families) into going on a family cruise. A year later, my mother was gone, after a short battle with cancer. My brother, who had been hesitant to spend that much on a vacation, is now so happy to have those memories, as am myself.

We are going on another family cruise in the upcoming year and I will buy the photo package.

That’s my only regret and my only advice... neither my mom or I liked to be in pictures - it was always “I look fat in this photo” or “my hair looks bad”, etc. Now, it breaks my heart I don’t have many pictures of my mom.

So to all you women (and men) out there - be in the picture. Your loved ones won’t care that you’ve gained a bit of weight or your hair didn’t handle the humidity well.

I know I’ll be saying cheese this time around!

I'm sorry for your loss. Those are terrible calls to receive.

My work and life confirms your view on booking the cruise, and the excursions. The experiences are priceless when compared to the cost, and no amount of savings covers the cost of regrets.

I plan on spending my kids' inheritance. I'll leave them my photo albums instead. ;p;p;p

We are doing the same - but taking our adult "kids" with us. Have cruised to Hawaii, the Western Med, and upcoming Baltic cruise with them- all in the last 18 months! We'd rather see them enjoy our money when we are all alive to enjoy the memories together.

Excellent post; thank you so much for reminding us of the importance of each and every day.

Just about 3 years ago, my DH suffered a stroke. We have kids in Washington State, Rhode Island, Florida - we told them to stay at home, that everything would be okay with time (and it pretty much was after very intense physical therapy).

I booked cabins for our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren for the Vista two years ahead of time. The airfare, bar bills, excursions would all be on them but they would have a cabin. It took two years of payments but in December seventeen of us sailed on the Vista. It was the first time our family had been together at same time in 10 years. Brothers and sister had a ball, cousins meet each other for the first time, and my husband and I spent 8 days smiling at each other. My dream of a "staircase photo" became a reality!

Bless them all - we have wonderful, wonderful memories.

:cool:

I am really glad you posted this. I've been really anxious about spending over $800 for us to swim with the dolphins. My kids have always dreamed of doing this and I finally booked it, but have been second guessing if it's REALLY worth all that money. Like, daily I consider canceling. Your post sort of put me at peace, knowing I absolutely did the right thing. Life is too short! Let's live it up while we can!!

Spend money on experiences, not things. That’s my motto.

Sorry for your loss. Life is short, tomorrow is not promised.

Thank you all so very much for your comments. I just read them to my husband. They brought us both so much joy and peace. I really want to come back and comment on many of the individual comments and I will soon. I just spent hours creating the slide show for the service so now I must tend to other business. As many of you said, life is about experiences and yes we better capture those in pictures (no matter how we think we may look). Because one day, all we will have are the memories and they are oh so precious! <3