Safe to access Caribbean beach resort's free wifi?

tbmrt

I usually avoid using my phone when on a cruise, but see many people checking their email at various public places. Is this safe? Do I need to get a VPN or other security items before using this?

I have an ATT phone. How can I set it to use a public wifi and avoid getting incoming texts and phone messages.

Thanks.

I have a VPN. Won’t use public WiFi without it as I just don’t take chances with info being compromised. VPNs are very inexpensive.

Several on here will say “I have been on a zillion cruises and never had a problem”. It only takes one good hack and you will see how useless that statement is.

Public WiFi is convenient but we all must be responsible for protecting our info. Remember you could be putting everyone in your contact list at risk as well.

I usually avoid using my phone when on a cruise, but see many people checking their email at various public places. Is this safe? Do I need to get a VPN or other security items before using this?

I have an ATT phone. How can I set it to use a public wifi and avoid getting incoming texts and phone messages.

Thanks.

Google "Rossen Reports" (NBC). He's done two particularly important segments on hacking wifi at ports and resorts that will alarm you. He also offers tips on how to differentiate between certain legitimate and crooked wifi networks.

That said, it would be helpful to know what make/model of phone.

On a newer model iPhone, you can turn on "airplane mode" (stops cellular voice, cellular data and SMS text as well as wifi). Then toggle on "wifi" and you'll be able to get e-mails as well as wifi calling and iMessage texts from other iPhones.

The importance of not always using "airplane mode" becomes important if you need to be able to make/accept calls in ports related to tours, emergencies, etc. In that case, you can always turn off "cellular data roaming," which will stop e-mail and non-SMS texts but allow voice.

However, if you do purchase an AT&T passport plan (daily or monthly) with voice, text and data, get a list of AT&T partner networks (e.g., vodaphone) in the visited countries (from the AT&T international web page). Then turn off "auto" on the "network" finder in "settings" so that you will not auto connect to the strongest network, which may not be an AT&T partner. Pick a partner and the name will appear at the top of your iphone's home screen along with the bars of signal strength. You'll still get charged for voice and data roaming but it will be at the contract price. Note that some of the partners do have wifi hot spots in ports (just like AT&T in many US locations), which is safe to use.

If this doesn't make sense, call AT&T and ask specifically for the International Desk, which will get you an "expert."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums