What happens to Escape Apr 20 & Apr 21

TrpngBilly

I am on the 4/22 sailing, thinking the embarkation would happen more toward 11 than 1130.

Boarding usually starts at the "normal" time. 11:00 for Haven and priority guests followed by general boarding. But,,, rooms are available as soon as you board.

I'm no expert on the law, clearly, but it's funny how Nassau (180 miles to Miami) doesn't qualify as a distant foreign port, yet the way cruise lines seem to get around this rule for Alaskan cruises is to stop in Victoria, BC (75 miles from Seattle).

Huh? You are talking about round trip cruises when what is being discussed is a one way. Cruise ships leave FL all the time and never go further south than the Bahamas.

Interesting, I knew most of the Caribbean didn't count as a foreign port except for the ABCs, but if Aruba is 1,129 miles point to point from Port of Miami, you'd think Bermuda (1,029 miles point to point from Port of Miami) would qualify as well.

Bermuda is still considered part of North America, ABC's are South America.

With all this discussion on which ACTS, what are distant/foreign ports, everyone does realize NCL knows the how, when and why's.

But it is interesting to read the different opinions. If NCL would have found a better Financial way to do it you can bet they would have.

I'm no expert on the law, clearly, but it's funny how Nassau (180 miles to Miami) doesn't qualify as a distant foreign port, yet the way cruise lines seem to get around this rule for Alaskan cruises is to stop in Victoria, BC (75 miles from Seattle).

Different situation, the cruise you cite is a closed loop cruise, beginning and ending in the same port. Closed loop cruises only require a stop at a near foreign port, such as Victoria.

Cruises go from NYC to Port Canaveral year round without stopping in a foreign port first. I’m missing something in this interpretation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They would be illegal if Port Canaveral was the final or only stop. However, these cruises also stop at a foreign port and return to NYC.

Bermuda is still considered part of North America, ABC's are South America.

Continental location is not the determining factor. The ABC's are actually in North America (yeah I was surprised too when I read that when researching a stop in Aruba even though they are but a few miles off the SA coast).

Continental location is not the determining factor. The ABC's are actually in North America (yeah I was surprised too when I read that when researching a stop in Aruba even though they are but a few miles off the SA coast).

To the east of Aruba are Bonaire and Curaçao, two island territories which once formed the southwest part of the Netherlands Antilles. This group of islands is sometimes called the ABC islands. They are located on the South American continental shelf and therefore geographically listed as part of South America.

The ABC islands are part of the Leeward Antilles, which is the westernmost area of the Lesser Antilles. They lie immediately to the north of Falcón State, Venezuela. Due to their political history, they are sometimes considered to be part of North America along with the other Caribbean islands, although they lie on South America’s geographical plate; the same phenomenon happens with Trinidad and Tobago.

So there is a bit of disagreements depending on the source. The source I cited stated that the ABC's were on the North American plate. Not to bash the poster who posted otherwise, the cite was from Wikipedia which has been known to have unreliable information. In any event, the determining factor for being a distant port is just that, distance.

Cruises go from NYC to Port Canaveral year round without stopping in a foreign port first. I’m missing something in this interpretation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But if a passenger disembarked at Port Canaveral and did not return to the ship, the line would be fined. Allegedly this happened recently to a CC poster and the fine was passed on to the passenger.

Oh that explains everything. What is the reasoning behind that and was it really intended for cruise ships?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It is old and dates back before airlines existed when passenger travel by ship was common. It protects US flagged ships. The NCL Hawaii route is actually operated by a NCL subsidiary and US flagged.

Basically it says a foreign ship can not offer domestic travel in the US.

Similar laws apply to airlines. For example, Qantas (an Australian airline) does operate a flight from New York to LAX however it only allowed to sell that flight as part of a ticket containing a connection onto one of its overseas flights out of LAX but not on its own.

The same laws also apply to cargo ships.

I'm actually surprised they didn't try to fill the ship up on a one way trip from FL to NYC.

It might be a surprise but a 2 day cruise from Fl to NY would not go over well I don't think plus it is a wonderful break for the crew. They work so hard and this gives them a couple of days to relax and rest.

Well with what is going on I wouldn't be surprised if we get an attack on the cruise industry that cruise ships should be built here, staffed by US citizens only and if not "huge taxes".