Restaurateur's take on the new deli

coevan

The problem is the classic grilled cheese is made with mayo. My son visits the deli daily and was told he could only order a grilled cheese with butter during dinner. They don't keep butter at the deli.

Pastrami and corned beef go with mustard. So does a hot dog. No mustard on a burger in NY! With condiments so regionally specific, I don't understand who's bright idea it was to premake the sandwiches with the condiments? They could still premake them, just omit the condiments.

Has anyone mentioned this problem to John Heald on his FB? I'm not on FB, but I heard he noticed all the complaints regarding the lousy buffet desserts and now there's new gourmet cakes on the Horizon.

The deli used to be really good. I remember fresh sliced turkey on a sandwich made to order. It was a hidden gem!

For some reason they seem to think it is a good idea to tell us the condiments that go on the sandwich. Regional differences show us people want different condiments and we should be allowed to have what we want.

I personally would never put ketchup on a hot dog but if others want to go for it

You probably like a round pastrami, not a flat brisket. If you don't know what that means, I rest my case.

Definitely have no clue. I just know that you either go to the deli counter at the grocery store and get it or you get it in a pack. The pastrami I have had is mostly like roast beef with a little more oomph. Yeah- that is what we have here where I am from. We aren't know for sandwiches here though. LOL.

The deli used to be really good. I remember fresh sliced turkey on a sandwich made to order. It was a hidden gem!

The real hidden gem was utilizing that fresh sliced turkey as a turkey Reuben grilled on the panini press with thousand island dressing.

I just got off Vista last weekend. I was disappointed going in because I used to frequent the deli, but wasn't a fan of the pre-made menu. Not once in the first couple days did I see anyone handed a pre-made sandwich so I tried it out. I ended up at the deli 3 times & twice ordered from the menu sans a certain condiment. The third time I went off menu. Others were doing the same. The staff didn't say a word. My boyfriend ordered a couple times straight from the menu & it was still made fresh right in front of us.

I was surprised after reading so much about the pre-mades only.:confused:...