Restaurateur's take on the new deli

coevan

As some might know I'm live on the Conquest. The new menu is very creative and the Cuban Sandwich is very good, but not pressed. However the new cooking procedure is not working as well as they expected. The pre made sandwiches should have made it easier on the cooks. They removed the panini press and replacing them with a toaster oven was a huge mistake. The toaster oven takes much longer than the press, therefore defeating the purpose of the pre made sandwiches.I asked for a meatball sandwich without cheese, because I am lactose intolerant, and Feta on meatballs, oh please. The cook told me the sandwiches are pre made. I said I can't eat cheese. Begrudgingly he made me a fresh sandwich. I asked him if he liked the new method or the old. He said the staff hates the new method as everyone asks for something different. They put mustard on the turkey sandwich which he said nobody likes, everyone is asking for mayo, so they are throwing away the mustard bread. The Pastrami is served with a tomato paste spread and tomatoes, really. The lines are long and the cooks are not really adept to multi tasking. All in all it's a huge technical fail, but the food is good.

As some might know I'm live on the Conquest. The new menu is very creative and the Cuban Sandwich is very good, but not pressed. However the new cooking procedure is not working as well as they expected. The pre made sandwiches should have made it easier on the cooks. They removed the panini press and replacing them with a toaster oven was a huge mistake. The toaster oven takes much longer than the press, therefore defeating the purpose of the pre made sandwiches.I asked for a meatball sandwich without cheese, because I am lactose intolerant, and Feta on meatballs, oh please. The cook told me the sandwiches are pre made. I said I can't eat cheese. Begrudgingly he made me a fresh sandwich. I asked him if he liked the new method or the old. He said the staff hates the new method as everyone asks for something different. They put mustard on the turkey sandwich which he said nobody likes, everyone is asking for mayo, so they are throwing away the mustard bread. The Pastrami is served with a tomato paste spread and tomatoes, really. The lines are long and the cooks are not really adept to multi tasking. All in all it's a huge technical fail, but the food is good.

Pastrami on tomato paste, disgusting.

"Agreed and turkey is a must with mustard on it."

We serve ours with mayo. I hope at least you are using good mustard, not French's yellow. Their turkey sandwich also is served with basil and arugula, a little weird.

"Agreed and turkey is a must with mustard on it."

We serve ours with mayo. I hope at least you use good mustard and not French's yellow. I did ask for a plain pastrami sandwich with extra pastrami, they obliged, and I put mustard on it.

One of the easiest ways to get people to try something new is to take away the old. Feta and meatballs sounds Greek to me and is not unheard of. Take a walk on the wild side.

Is Feta cheese OK for someone who is lactose intolerant as the OP stated that he is?

They put mustard on the turkey sandwich which he said nobody likes, everyone is asking for mayo, so they are throwing away the mustard bread.

I only eat mustard, not mayo, so I guess I’m a nobody.

Seriously though, my pet peeve when it comes to pre-made sandwiches is why can’t they just leave the condiments off and let people put it on themselves? I won’t even touch a sandwich that has mayo on it.

we were on the victory just this last week. Pretty much agree with the Op.....I don't hate the premade sandwiches, but it sucks when people can't get what they want, and they're not saving a whole lotta time premaking certain ones. They should leave sauces/condiments off so when they want to swap out breads the breads are still good.

this is a typical cutback by carnival. other cruise lines have premade sandwich which is something very dry from just sitting there waiting for it to heated up again.

So Carnival is keeping up with the competition?

I don't remember anyone saying Carnival's sandwiches were dry, but maybe. Anyway, I will soon find out for myself, although the Deli is not one of my go to places.

Agreed and turkey is a must with mustard on it.

Wow wants premade sandwiches?

Maybe they’ll just do it like Princess does. Premade, wrapped in plastic as part of the buffet. No chance for special orders.

Maybe they’ll just do it like Princess does. Premade, wrapped in plastic as part of the buffet. No chance for special orders.

That is why we do not get the sandwiches on Princess. Luckily tons of other choices on the Royal class.:)

Carnival had a great made to order sandwich shop, making it in advance and not to order is a huge step backward.

this is a typical cutback by carnival. other cruise lines have premade sandwich which is something very dry from just sitting there waiting for it to heated up again.

I don't see how this is a cutback in any way. The Cuban is sandwich is only made one way, don't know what a "Tampa" Cuban sandwich is? To the person who said dry, I never had a wet sandwich. The new method is more annoying to the cooks than the guests as many people ask for something different. This is just a poorly conceived change. Carnival is now telling you how you want your sandwich and what condiments they think you should eat. When you ask for tuna say "please don't toast it", no problem.