Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Jane,

You confirmed what I thought Blue Fly was. Even discounted high fashion does not fit our life style. I watch the show to see trends and styles I might use on a cruise. I work on a farm, there is no fashion there.

I could run through the field slapping everyone with a Prada bag, the response would be why are you hitting us with a purse.

Interesting. When I visit small towns in Europe and have visited people who grow grapes and have winery's, I see them wearing "country fashions" but still have a sense of style about it, including name brand things.

But the truth is, I buy things because I think they are beautiful, well made and functional. Many of the "designer" brands I buy are not household names, yet I get compliments on them from people who wouldn't know a Vuitton from a Gucci. They see something with style and well made but have no clue as to who the designer is or how much it cost.

But yes, you're right, high fashion has more impact in a big city than it does on a farm. But there's never a reason, imho, not to have style and pizazz, no matter what you're doing.

You guys intrigued me. I don't shop clothes online and had never been to bluefly.So I checked it out.

They're really using PR wisely. The last winning collection is featured with a link to everything they have that is similar is style. Very smart.

As to the winning designer selling on bluefly, notice the wording says "has the opportunity" to sell on bluefly.

Since the season one winner didn't even take the cash prize because it would mean he didn't retain ownership of his designs for that first collection, I doubt any of this crop will be selling on bluefly. The exposure they get through this show is far more valuable than all the prizes put together.

bluefly is handling their sponsorship very wisely and that's what it's all about.

Sea Bunny,

Yes, I have noticed that they say, "Has the opportunity" to sell on BlueFly. That one didn't escape my ears at all! LOL!

I agree, it's great press for Blue fly. I just don't see anything in it for the designer.

I just don't see anything in it for the designer.

Could it be as new undiscovered designers they are so anxious to get their name "out there" and they aren't concerned with where? BlueFly is always mentioned by Heidi and Tim so the designers probably think it MUST be worth something.....if you're told something enough times you start to believe it.

Okay, so here we go...

Retro designs, teams of three to make a mini-cohesive collection...

I think we all agree that Team Jillian was the top...

So their retro's were Overalls, 70's flare pants, and Poodle Skirt...

They won by being completely cohesive, and using a bit of each element in each design...

Jillian's

rate_runway_01_404.jpg

Hot, cute, sexy (in my opinion;) ) all around...

Kevin's

rate_runway_03_404.jpg

I think this also works so well, because there is a specific "woman", client, demographic in mind...

The same type of woman, could or would wear all in different situations...

That's important in a challenge like this...

Also, I think that Jillian did a great job leading, and (obviously makes a great team with Rami), but as we'll see compared to other teams later, I think that her ultimate strength was in trusting Kevin's ability...

And not letting her ego interfere with their different way of working...

So, they had the most cohesive collection...

Team Christian...

Zoot Suit, Fringe, Pleather

First of all I'm just going to say that "Pleather" is an easy cop out...

It's a "fabric", not a "trend", and any good design could "make it work":p

Note how, you can't tell how there is any pleather at all here, and it really has no effect on any of the design elements here (really and truly)...

That being said, they worked well as a team...

Christian's

rate_runway_06_404.jpg

I actually thought it was "cooler" without the jacket, so you can't see the cool top in this picture.

I think he should have left the jacket off, because I thought the skirt gave enough "zoot suit", but there you go...

Team Ricky...

Neon, Underwear as Outerwear, Cutouts...

Ricky's

rate_runway_12_404.jpg

Now, I must say, design-wise of the three here, I think it's the best one...

(I actually could see young women wearing this, at least in LA)...

But the dysfuntion of the team, and him taking the time to work on the other two at the negative time on his own was the issue (we all have seen that he can "construct" well, especially on lingerie type designs, as this is, so there you go)...

VictorYa's

rate_runway_10_404.jpg

Okay, sorry I officially really "dislike" her now...

I'll go into my official diatribe on teamwork, and leadership, and passive agressive and ego's and such later on, but for now...

The fact that she wouldn't step up to be the leader, but then undermined Ricky, but then he refitted her outfit (which then the judges complimented, and she could only go so far as to say "well he suggested", as opposed to saying Rickey refit the outfit, and giving him full credit)...

Blech, I hate working with people like her...

Elisa's

rate_runway_11_404.jpg

Well, she won me a "tiny" bit over this week, but being the opposite of VictorYa, and trying to let the judges know how much Ricky helped her, then also saying that she would take responsibility for being voted out...;)

Yet and still...

Sorry, this is lame boring dress (and can someone get a steamer iron or something please)...

This is one of those dresses that maybe it's like women think it's cute on another woman, but it's not very guy looking at a woman cute or sexy...

It just kind of looks like she had a bad night in a nightgown shredder or something...

...and I've lost all of my bust, waist, or any hip shape I might have had in this wrinkly gunny sack - but oh yeah, look at how cool my neckline is! (uhh, no "straight" man is paying attention to that!)

Meh.

Team Chris...

Shoulder Pads, Baggy Sweater, Dancewear...

Chris'

rate_runway_09_404.jpg

Unfortunately he's out...

Not the best call by far, but the judges don't see any of the backstage things...

Also, little "insider" scoop here, they were really wishing/hoping that Chris would bring some of his "outrageous", "theatrical", "over the top" background to his designs (think Santino, Jeffrey, Jay especially)...

And he just kept stepping back more and more conservatively...

That had some part of the decision...

;)

Steven's

rate_runway_08_404.jpg

And who is wearing this?

And the trend was "dancewear"!?!?

Uhmmm, excuse me if I'm wrong here (I'm not:p ); but there are tons of "dancewear" trends and items from all sorts of times and eras (and dance disciplines) that have been worn as fashion.

This was SUCH a direct and bad and boring take on the EXACT picture that he had!

Dancewear...

Off the top of my head, modern take then on...

Ballet (ballet flats, short or long tutu's)

Jazz (Fosse anyone?)

Tap (fitted women's tux or tails outfits?)

I don't know, just saying in two seconds I already came up with better dancewear options, updates or ideas to start with...

Blech!

That's it for now, I'm going to update later, remind me about Victoria Beckham (Posh Spice!) wearing about half these trends in new and updated styles recently!

Yes, she is a cartoonish slave to fashion, and I love her for her superficially working the paparazzi and magazines for it!

Out for now...

Team Christian...

Zoot Suit, Fringe, Pleather

First of all I'm just going to say that "Pleather" is an easy cop out...

It's a "fabric", not a "trend", and any good design could "make it work":p

Note how, you can't tell how there is any pleather at all here, and it really has no effect on any of the design elements here (really and truly)...

That being said, they worked well as a team...

Christian's

rate_runway_06_404.jpg

I actually thought it was "cooler" without the jacket, so you can't see the cool top in this picture.

I think he should have left the jacket off, because I thought the skirt gave enough "zoot suit", but there you go...

OMG, are you suggesting Christian NOT make a jacket? Is that possible??? ;)

CJW, honey, what cruises are you on? I never see hunks like this. Just soft bellies of various sizes. LOL

ROTFLMAO!:D

I finally had to get back to you on this one...

SeaBunny, you need to come on out to the Left Coast then and hang out on some of the surfer/skater/volleyball beaches in Malibu, Venice, Redondo, or Hermosa!

Or take some 4 or 5 day cruises out of LA or San Diego!

:D :cool: ;)

Elisa's

rate_runway_11_404.jpg

Well, she won me a "tiny" bit over this week, but being the opposite of VictorYa, and trying to let the judges know how much Ricky helped her, then also saying that she would take responsibility for being voted out...;)

Yet and still...

Sorry, this is lame boring dress (and can someone get a steamer iron or something please)...

This is one of those dresses that maybe it's like women think it's cute on another woman, but it's not very guy looking at a woman cute or sexy...

It just kind of looks like she had a bad night in a nightgown shredder or something...

...and I've lost all of my bust, waist, or any hip shape I might have had in this wrinkly gunny sack - but oh yeah, look at how cool my neckline is! (uhh, no "straight" man is paying attention to that!)

Meh.

I just want to take this an turn it into a sheath from the armpits to the hem (and add length to boot!). It would have worked better with the other two pieces in the "collection" if it were more fitted (and less wrinkled! I think the stitching at the hem is too tight and adding to the wrinkles!).

FYI: I did catch this show Saturday night while babysitting!

I liked the concept of this challenge. It's a hard thing after losing weight to see yourself differently. I have a friend who lost a whole person in weight, but still wears oversized sweaters and baggy jeans. I took her shopping one day and we picked out something that actually fit and she looked terrific (and she does wear it a lot). But that's the only flattering thing in her wardrobe. She still sees her old self.

Agree with the judges in sending Steve home. He just had the wrong attitude about the dress, his model, everything.

Elisa was a might close second.I think it was her "sweetness" that saved her more than Steve's outfit being worse.

I really hate when designers get bent out of shape because they have to work with models that aren't runway perfect. Get real, folks!!!

I'm running late, so this will be fast...

Competition = design something for an every day wear for ladies who have lost signifigant amounts of weight - out of their previous size favorite clothing outfit.

Again, people were robbed, but I'm floating a theory by you all now...

I'm thinking that there is some "surprise" later on where people get to come back or have a second chance or something, etc., etc., for all who have "won"...

So they are spreading out the winners...

Also, I think there are certain "front runners" already in their minds, so if they come out and win every competition, then it makes for boring TV - ala telegraphing the winner or final three way too early...

That being said, here we go...