Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Jane,

I enjoyed reading your post; of my post. -LOL. I knew people would take from it what they take from it.

I am all too familiar with How Forums work, I belong to other boards and this is not a first for me. (Not to mean I don't make mistakes though). I was referring to people attacking what I said. There is a difference between disagreeing and attacking. Your comment was "a comment," not an attack. But at any rate...it's all good. :D

As for the race thing, that was an off handed comment that I should have omitted, got too carried away there.

But for the record, let me say for EVERYONE.... Please excuse my "Black" comment. It was not meant to create a controversary. But life for some does on ocassion involve such.

Hahaha, but I know better than to think some will be able to control their impulse or need to respond. I doubt I've heard the last of it. :p

I think that I was a little disappointed that Jeffry won. If you ever heard Jay from PR1 talk, he predicted the win, not based on the designs, but based on the personality. Jeffry is very different then the other 2 previous winners.

My disappointment stems from the fact that he broke the rules. He did not have the proper receipts for his work and he went over budget. If the man can not count to 8,000 then he should have suffered the consequences not coddled to conform. To me, it seems that he tried to "get away" with some things just to see if he could and then was angry when he got caught. I wonder if the producers would have discovered the missing receipts and overbudget issue without Laura's intervention. Would the other designers been given the same consideration? I do not think so.

JMHO.

On another note, what kind of challenges should PR4 bring. I think that it might be interesting if they are given the exact same material and quantity and see what they can design.

havent posted on here in a while just got out of hospital again last weekend, however I have watched project runway the whole time also. I was THRILLEd that Jeffry won, and for me I love his style, I like Edgy, I also loved Micheal all the way, but his last showing bombed for me, he must have been nervous and not focused because I really think he has some talent so I hope he goes far. Those were my 2 favs all the way, but ULI she just knocked it out of the park so in the end I think her and Jeffry were in the right postions up there as first and second and it could have gone either way for me and I would be happy.

Lauras dresses are devine no doubt and I totally sure she can get some offers, if not it would be a shame, those were lovley classic dresses, but it was almost all she showed overall so I think thats where she blew it so to speak.

Im looking forward to see Jeffrys lines come out one day, I like fun inspired lines AND classic, probably ULIs are the only ones I couldnt wear, just that they would hang on my tiny body and I couldnt carry them off at all but I do think alot of women could. Lauras and Jeffrys I WOULD buy$.

Well I Cant wait until they do this all again, its so fun, they really inspire me to buy clothes!:D

have a great day ladies.

Live Life

On another note, what kind of challenges should PR4 bring. I think that it might be interesting if they are given the exact same material and quantity and see what they can design.

Wow! That's a great idea!

I had no doubt Jeffry was winning as soon as they showed him all vulnerable at the beginning of the show. After making him the season's bad guy, they needed to humanize him to be more palatable to viewers as the winner.

I thought all the collections looked a lot better on the runway than in the stills. I was particularly impressed with the movement of Jeffry's collection.

The judges obviously wanted Michael to go sportswear but he's already designing for the hiphop community in Atlanta. It's his vision, not theirs. He didn't win, but he's strengthened his presence with his base and that's a mighty big base.

My gut tells me they didn't feel Uli needed to win. Her collection won for her. She's got it made.

Laura's clothes are beautiful, but think about this... Kors said her collection looked like $30,000. That puts her in the haute couture range. And, she isn't innovative -- just plain beautiful.

Jeffry made the most sense to win.He brought something unique to the catwalk. His zippers inthe jackets were just too cool.

Kayne's one win for Miss USA probably did moe for him than winning the whole season could.

Person I would most like to see again is that cute young blonde (Allison?). Her work looked good and I felt bad about her garbage dress loss since she was desperately grasping at straws after her first plan didn't work.

For those of you who think reality shows are fixed...they really aren't (not counting stuff like the Paris Hilton/Anna Nicole foolishness). The editing might make you think that, because they are edited to lead you down certain paths and evoke certain emotions -- create heroes and villains. But the outcomes are genuine.

Now... on to Top Chef. The cousin of one of my closest friends is a competitor -- Frankie (the bull).

Now... on to Top Chef. The cousin of one of my closest friends is a competitor -- Frankie (the bull).

Wow that is so cool. I love that show. My DH thinks I am a reality junkie (and I am)! My main observation from last night.

3 women, 1 man in top 4...Man wins

3 men, 1 woman in bottom 4... Woman goes home.

My opinion of Project Runway--Jeffrey is the last person I wanted to win. I like Uli's fashions and it looks like hers will sell. I think Laura makes the most sensible fashions, which is why NYC doesn't want them, and Michael is the one I really thought would win until I saw his collection. All 4 had some pieces that were really good. But I think Jeffrey's designs are weird for the most part--which works in NYC because weird is different. He did have some items that were good. All 4 deserve to make it in the fashion world.

Please help.

How do you get multiple quotes in one posting? Or if you can please point me to the site that might help me figure it out on my own.

Thanks

Hi Dawn, I am not Jane or Curt but I can try and help.

You can copy something from one post and paste it to another,

or if you want to quote an entire post (like I did yours) you just

click on the "quote" which is on the bottom right of every post.

Hope this helps you a bit.:)

Personally I think Jeffery's fashions are limited and kind of dated. He was dressed in an AC/DC outift, I was like fashback to the 70's. Funnier yet his "arch" enemy Angela was recreating fashions from the same era. I know since I wore an outfit just like the group one she won. They need judges over the age of 40. Those styles did not catch on back then, why do they think they will work now.

I did tell Mr Ula for our next cruise on a fashion statement so he can be hip I will get out the glue gun and put sparkles on his pant fly's.

At least Jeffery did not replace his wigs with plastic plant pots. Might be cutting edge, we would just say Devo. The guy designs for Tommy Lee, not a spring chicken and our age group, but dresses how we dressed back then.

I thought all the collections looked a lot better on the runway than in the stills. I was particularly impressed with the movement of Jeffry's collection.

Yup, that's why there are runway shows! :)

The judges obviously wanted Michael to go sportswear but he's already designing for the hiphop community in Atlanta. It's his vision, not theirs. He didn't win, but he's strengthened his presence with his base and that's a mighty big base.

Yuppers again. I'm sure he's the star of Atlanta and already creating his successful new business.

Laura's clothes are beautiful, but think about this... Kors said her collection looked like $30,000. That puts her in the haute couture range.

Nope, you got this wrong on two counts.

!. 12 dresses divided by $8000. = $666. per dress. That's not even close to haute couture, that's would be about $1300. - $1500. retail for a "drop dead gorgeous" evening dress. Haute couture would cost over $5000. per dress.

2. An original sample costs WAAAAY more than a piece from production. It's been handmade and don't forget that when you buy fabric by the yard, you get a MUCH better price if you buy 1000 yards of fabric than when you buy 3 yards. Same with bags of beads and sequins.

Haven't seen the show but good luck to your friend. Hope he wins! A friend of mine is the top chef for Mario Batali and is on Iron Chef with him. I keep getting prmised tickets to the taping but they haven't appeared yet. :mad:

Hi Dawn, I am not Jane or Curt but I can try and help.

You can copy something from one post and paste it to another,

or if you want to quote an entire post (like I did yours) you just

click on the "quote" which is on the bottom right of every post.

Hope this helps you a bit.:)

Lois, Thank you for your help. I do know how to create (if that is the correct word) 1 quote by using the quote button, I just don't know how to do the 2 or 3 quotes. I will practice copying and pasting and see what I can do.

Thanks again for the help.

I think that I was a little disappointed that Jeffry won. If you ever heard Jay from PR1 talk, he predicted the win, not based on the designs, but based on the personality. Jeffry is very different then the other 2 previous winners.

Jay from PR season 1 predicted Michael to win on the basis that they gave it to the "gay guy the first year, the Asian immigriant woman the second year, so they would give it to the straight Black guy this year." He also said it very tongue in cheek that is just his type of humor.

I thought Jeffery's collection was wonderful. modern hip cohesive and beautiful. Remember these are not clothes for the everyday woman. [he lost that challange] These are high fashion items and they are not exactly the way they will end up in the stores. Runway clothes are always toned way down before they are sent to retail.

I think Laura makes the most sensible fashions, which is why NYC doesn't want them,

Huh????? Why would you say that? No one has every said that the women of NYC would not like Laura's fashions. Even the judges Heidi and Nina said they'd wear all her clothes. They love her things.

The "problem" was that they felt she didn't have a wide range. If that's the criteria, then they're right. She did not display a wide range of looks.

All 4 deserve to make it in the fashion world.

I sure they will as will Malan, Vincent and Kayne.

Lois, Thank you for your help. I do know how to create (if that is the correct word) 1 quote by using the quote button, I just don't know how to do the 2 or 3 quotes. I will practice copying and pasting and see what I can do.

Thanks again for the help.

hmmm....let's see if i can 'splain this....

hit "quote" on the post you want to reply to.

Then you'll have the person's whole quote. Note that the beginning of the quote will show the following code [ quote= persons name] the end will have the [ /quote] ( close up the space between the [ and the next letter when you do it.

then split it up to the sentences you want to use. and put the [ quote=personsname] at the beginning and the [ /quote] at the end of the sentence.

understand?

I definitely agree that Jeffrey's collection looked better on the models on TV than in the stills. Except that I sort of felt like Jeffrey's models couldn't walk. They all seemed to be plodding along instead of walking down a runway (not a comment on Jeffrey's outfits just on the models he "chose" or was given). And I agreed with the judges that he had 2 outfits (the long dress and the blue dress) that did not fit in with his collection and to me did not look that great. The rest of his collection I was impressed with, and I have definitely not been a Jeffrey fan. I was glad to see that he did not cheat. As to the punishment for going over budget, I was more upset in season 1 when Kara Saun had people make things like shoes for her and then she tried to claim they only cost $1. At least we didn't see Jeffrey offering up excuses and whining about it.

I think Uli did an overall better job on her collection than Jeffrey did. Each of her outfits was great and well made, unlike Jeffrey who had the 2 outfits that I didn't like (and the judges specifically mentioned as not being good). After seeing her collection go down the runway, I really felt she should win over Jeffrey.

I liked Laura's collection, felt it was stunning but it truly was a one note collection.

I loved Michael throughout the season but I felt his collection was the weakest of the bunch. Hopefully with maturity he will come into his talent.

They need judges over the age of 40. Those styles did not catch on back then, why do they think they will work now.

Off the top of my head judges over 40:

Michael Kors

Diane Von Furstenburg

Vera Wang

Fern Mallis

Mrs. Kors

And, if Nina isn't 40, she's awfully close.

Nope, you got this wrong on two counts.

!. 12 dresses divided by $8000. = $666. per dress. That's not even close to haute couture, that's would be about $1300. - $1500. retail for a "drop dead gorgeous" evening dress. Haute couture would cost over $5000. per dress.

2. An original sample costs WAAAAY more than a piece from production. It's been handmade and don't forget that when you buy fabric by the yard, you get a MUCH better price if you buy 1000 yards of fabric than when you buy 3 yards. Same with bags of beads and sequins.

You misunderstood me.

Divide $30,000 by 12 and you get $2500 ea. Maybe haute couture is overstating it, but that ain't cheap. In all the collections there was no value whatever put on the designer's time, only materials. Laura did all that beading herself. When Michael Kors said it looked like $30,000 he was talking about the hand work. And, IMO he as understating the overall value. Even using child labor in a foreign land, those were way expensive dresses.

I call them haute couture due to the hand work. Just because Laura didn't get any money for doing all that doesn't change the time invested. These were not by-the-yard dresses. The cost is in the labor, not the materials. Just like most things in this world.

Com'on Curt, where's Chloe's collection:D

You misunderstood me.

Divide $30,000 by 12 and you get $2500 ea. Maybe haute couture is overstating it, but that ain't cheap. In all the collections there was no value whatever put on the designer's time, only materials. Laura did all that beading herself. When Michael Kors said it looked like $30,000 he was talking about the hand work. And, IMO he as understating the overall value. Even using child labor in a foreign land, those were way expensive dresses.

I call them haute couture due to the hand work. Just because Laura didn't get any money for doing all that doesn't change the time invested. These were not by-the-yard dresses. The cost is in the labor, not the materials. Just like most things in this world.

Yes I understand that Laura did all the handwork herself and so the cost of labor didn't factor in.

But Kors said it looked like she spent $30,000. not $8000. and that was a huge compliment. I mean, don't we all want things that look alot more expensive than they actually are?

So, then I guess I missed the point of your original comment where you said

"Laura's clothes are beautiful, but think about this... Kors said her collection looked like $30,000. That puts her in the haute couture range. And, she isn't innovative -- just plain beautiful."

Even if you're right that it does put her in the haute couture range....what's the problem with that?

Were the instructions to come up with a collection that would sell for "everyday" prices?

Jeffrey's dress - the great green striped one with the zippers would probably retail for somewhere in the $3000. range. So that would make him haute couture too. And I'm sure his red/white one would also sell for a few thousand dollars.

I'm sorry but I'm completely missing the point you were trying to make. What was it?

You know you can search Getty Images yourself.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com

Actually I didn't. I had asked earlier if anyone knew a link.

But I must not know how to work it because all I can get is her Fall collection, which was from last season, and pix of her.

I've tried to google this (as well as Jay's collection) a number of different ways and tried several approaches on the Getty images link you kindly provided.

If anyone has had beter luck, I'd love to hear how you found it.

Jane,

Didn't mean to rile you about Laura. Sorry. It was just an opinion. I probably should have stopped with Laura wasn't innovative. Neither is Ralph Lauren. It's not a bad thing. But Ralphie would likely never win PR, either.

hmmm....let's see if i can 'splain this....

hit "quote" on the post you want to reply to.

Then you'll have the person's whole quote. Note that the beginning of the quote will show the following code [ quote= persons name] the end will have the [ /quote] ( close up the space between the [ and the next letter when you do it.

then split it up to the sentences you want to use. and put the [ quote=personsname] at the beginning and the [ /quote] at the end of the sentence.

understand?

Thanks, actually that is very clear. So much so that it made me realize that all of your "quotes" were from the same poster. I thought they were from different posters and I just couldn't get quotes from different people on the same posting.

Thanks Jane & Lois

Also I really enjoy reading both of your posts through out the Cruise Fashion thread. I have learned a lot.

I'm a 5th generation home sewer. I've sewn clothes for my kids and myself for 28 years. I did make a shirt once for my husband. Anyway, I just wonder why Laura thought Jeffrey had someone do some sewing for him. I wouldn't put it past him. All 4 are expert sewers and they should be able to tell from the handwork if it looked the same the whole season or if there was a drastic change during the 6 weeks they had to make their collection. All four made things that were really loads of work. Laura's in particular and being that pregnant must have meant that she sewed morning, noon and night. Jeffrey came with his collection done. I can see where she thought he cheated. Just my opnion.