Encore Galley Tour

maryogreen

On the Encore's January voyage from Sydney to Auckland, Executive Chef Timothy Dacey opened the ship's galley to guests on a couple of sea days. Tours were announced the day before, and the extremely limited number of slots filled up quickly. It was an interesting peek into the impressive 24-hour culinary world on board.

For anyone interested, I have photos from the tour in today's blog post:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/crossing-the-tasman-sea-smooth-sailing-life-on-board-a-galley-tour/

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Thanks Mary for posting this. This brings back memories for me - I did the galley tour on the Odyssey about 5 years ago. Was absolutely impressed. Couldn't believe how calm and organised everything and everybody was as the dinner hour was approaching.

candylover, you are so welcome! I thought this was an activity Seabourn cruisers might be curious about. It's a fun tour and isn't offered too often. Our tour was late afternoon as well, and you are absolutely correct about how calm everyone was!

We did this same tour on the Encore last September and really enjoyed it. We were served a bit of champagne as we toured. I was impressed with how sparkling clean the kitchen was--and how large it was. The executive chef talked to us about how important it was to have a happy staff.

Also keep in mind that even the cruises that don’t offer the galley tour (and I think that many with seas days do) they have brought back the Galley Market Lunch so that can be an opportunity to see the kitchen in operation as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chairsin, great information...thanks for sharing!

Queen of DaNile, I would bet the galley tour will be offered on an itinerary with so many sea days. They are announced in the Herald along with the upcoming day's activities. Have a wonderful cruise!