Please help me compare Empress and Mariner

I went on a bunch of Royal Caribbean cruises as a child. But last year I went on Empress of the Seas and I have to admit I was a little underwhelmed. It was not how I remember RC from many years ago (I forget which ones I went on)

BUT I just booked on Mariner for this summer and I am hoping to be "wowed" again! Is there a big difference from Empress to Mariner?!?!

Please and Thank you

There is a HUGE difference between Empress and Mariner. Staterooms much larger, Royal Promenade, Flowrider & Slides (coming), kiddie pool area (coming), adult Solarium, multiple specialty restaurants, etc., etc., etc.

I went on a bunch of Royal Caribbean cruises as a child. But last year I went on Empress of the Seas and I have to admit I was a little underwhelmed. It was not how I remember RC from many years ago (I forget which ones I went on)

BUT I just booked on Mariner for this summer and I am hoping to be "wowed" again! Is there a big difference from Empress to Mariner?!?!

Please and Thank you

I am guesssing they added Empress, a small ship, mostly for Cuba.

I've sailed both ships. Empress of the Seas use to be known as Nordic Empress back in the day. She was my second ever cruise (in 1997) and I was in 2nd grade. I loved it because hey it's not that hard to impress a 7 year old. It is an older ship and I would sail her to Cuba, but thats because I'm fond of the older ships for nostalgic reasons. It takes me back to midnight buffets and so many food and ice sculptures. They were a big to do then. Flash forward to 2007 I sailed Mariner for my high school graduation and it was awesome!! The Royal Promenade is unbelievable the first time you walk through it. You don't feel like you're on a ship. Remember Mariner is the last ship in the industry pioneering Voyager class that started the much beloved Royal Promenade and ice skating rink. I'd sail Mariner again in a heart beat because it's a blast!

Mariner is getting a big refurbishment with flowrider, waterslides, laser tag, trampoline thing. Looks amazing. Sold us as we booked it as a bonus cruise.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

We’ve sailed on Empress of the Seas all the way to Allure of the Seas. Empress is a throwback to what Royal used to be like before the ships got so big. It’s hard to make a fair comparison because, simply stated, they are two very different products. Some signature things do carry over, like Chops Grille, and the Schooner Bar, but overall, they are very different.

Royal’s larger ships are focused on entertaining and wowing passengers with what is offered onboard. Empress is back in the Royal fleet to focus on a specific destination, Cuba, which required a smaller ship (Cuba doesn’t have the infrastructure to receive the 100K+ ton ships that normally sail in Caribbean waters).

So sailing on Empress should be about the destination rather than the actual ship. We are booked to sail on Empress this summer specifically to go to Cuba and we can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for answering my question about why the smaller ship for Cuba. Obvious answer. Should have guessed that! 😉

It’s too bad they can’t take larger ships bc it’s proving to be a very popular itinerary. We are booked on the March 2019 8 nt to Cuba. 11 months away and it’s almost sold out! The only cabins left are inside cabins! Glad we booked when we did!