First time cruise help - Med from UK

V_Flagship

Celebrity prices have dramatically risen in the UK since mid March. We booked in November and paid £116/pp/pn for 1A cabin with Beverage Package but no obc. Their current pricing can't be sustained and would expect to see significant price drops in the coming months.

That’s the same as we’ve paid for our Greek Island cruise, now it’s over £200 a night

The prices must drop soon

Yes there are some real advantages to a cruises from Southampton - No luggage restrictions, park next to the ship and home withing 2.5 hours of leaving the ship (110 miles).

We've done 3 cruises from Southampton to the Med or Canaries each with 2 sea days at start and finish - all September

First cruise it was only the last day that was cold and foggy - other days were all really warm / hot

Second cruise first and last day a bot cooler (too cool to be out sunbathing out doors on day 1, last day was cool but plenty of sunshine)

Third cruise - first 2 days cool - Solarium only - last day cool but lots of sunshine.

We've never had any issues crossing the bay of Biscay, maybe we are due one :D

You made me smile.

For anyone resident north of Birmingham, it must be possibly cheaper and quicker to fly to Barcelona to join a cruise ship than travel to SOTON. You also save on wasted days traveling to the Med.

Annie

You made me smile.

For anyone resident north of Birmingham, it must be possibly cheaper and quicker to fly to Barcelona to join a cruise ship than travel to SOTON. You also save on wasted days traveling to the Med.

Annie

You mean there are cruisers who live north of Birmingham :D - oh yes, I’m one of them ;p.

You are correct, we much prefer flying to the Med and gaining those 2 extra days there ;). We also like the mix of nationalities you usually get by embarking in mainland Europe compared to boarding in Southampton. Out of 26 cruises, only 1 has been from Southampton. Must be handy though for those that don’t like flying.

You made me smile.

Annie

We are slightly south of Birmingham. It might be cheaper but not necessarily as convenient - not that regular a direct flight service, you still have to get to and park at the airport, then there's all the hassle over weight restrictions and which liquid can go in which bag, transferring at the other end - and then the same in reverse.

"Wasted" days travelling to the Med - we certainly don't see the first 2 days at sea wasted. ON our returns, once we leave Lisbon (often the last port on the 14 night med / canaries cruises) I do sometimes feel there is a slightly anti climatic air about the ship

I thoroughly enjoy those first 2 sea days! It eases the stress of the day's travel down to Southampton (we go the day before now and book a hotel for B & B as is less stressful!) The 2 days enable you to explore the ship, chill out, take part in any of the activities which interest you - on one cruise there was a watercolour painting class for the 5 sea days which my daughter and I really enjoyed ! The 2 sea days on the return again allows one to relax after the hectic side of visiting the likes of Rome and Florence for example. It's not like you are captive on a cross channel ferry !!

It also means for we Brits that we don't have to worry about luggage weight and allowance which would feature if we were flying say to Rome to pick up a cruise.

Our Iceland and Norway sailing out of Southampton also had the watercolour painting classes which were greatly enjoyed by DH.

Flagship, I suggest you join your RC asap. It's a great way to touch base with fellow cruisers and gives you ideas for tours in the various ports. Except for our first couple of cruises when I didn't know any better I always like to go DIY or join up with others in the various ports.

The first cruise is always very special, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

REMfan waves to prish !!!! :)

I am well north of Birmingham - north Cheshire to be exact. Have now got travel and overnight to S'hampton down to a fine art. It is now part of the holiday and at 2 hours to London on the train ( using my railcard) I can get good train fare deals. I have found rail staff to be brilliant at meeting me and helping me on/off trains - the service at London Euston is excellent as they meet me at the carriage with a buggy and transport me, companion and luggage to the taxi rank. Taxi to Waterloo and then onto train for S'hampton.

I still think those days to explore the ship.... relax in the Solarium, meet people on the ship etc is a real bonus. I do know what DKYWIA means about those last 2 days after leaving Lisbon - wistfulness at the cruise nearly being over - but....it does beat traipsing round a continental airport . I have dreadful memories of the Barcelona experience where Iberia decided it was quite ok to bump 6 pupils off a school trip party of 50+ kids and 5 staff. As I speak French I was able to thwart the awful woman at check in who thought she had got one up on the Brits who didn't speak much Spanish. She was very sorry she admitted she spoke French. As Iberia were intractable I had no option but to tell our 56 15/16 year olds to fill up check in and her desk so she could appreciate the seriousness of the position (our seats had been pre booked and paid for 6 months previously!) Our only option in the end was that they grudgingly agreed to bump me and 5 of the kids off the (overbooked flight) This left the remainder of our school party understaffed on foreign visit grounds but we were between the devil and the deep blue sea! Iberia shunted us onto an Air France flight to Paris - and as we found out later with no plan to take us any further. All credit to Air France who at 11 30pm at night took us to a hotel, arranged dinner for us and transport back to Charles de Gaulle airport next am. None of us had a stitch of clothing or belongings as Air Iberia had taken our cases. Air France gave us toiletries and emergency supplies of a T shirt etc. Next day at the airport BA took us on but could only take the 5 pupils on the Manchester flight. I had to get parental permission for that - which was given. BA flew me back alone via Heathrow. Rather a nightmare of a trip. Some quite high levels meetings took place for Iberia after that and we all received compensation - but overall it was a disgrace and I have never flown - nor would I with Iberia again.

So...... give me a 2 day cruise back home any day :)