Booking future cruise on board (for family)...need advice!

I am going to be sailing on the new Symphony of the Seas with my husband on June 10, 2018 out of Barcelona (for our delayed honeymoon). He and I really want to book a future cruise to Alaska (leaning towards the Ovation of the Seas out of Seattle in August or September of 2019). We also want to book a room for our mothers to also join us on the cruise, as they have never been cruising before...

My questions are as follows:

• Are we crazy to book a cruise for our mothers and have them stay together? In theory, it sounds sweet. :halo:
  • Does anyone have experience sailing with their parents (will be their first time on a cruise ship), and any tips?
  • Is there benefit to booking a future cruise while on board the ship (i.e. discounts, on board credit, upgrades)?

Thanks!

Is there benefit to booking a future cruise while on board the ship (i.e. discounts, on board credit, upgrades)?

On board credit, and if you choose a non-refundable deposit you get a reduced deposit, extra discount, and extra on board creidt

Only you know if the two mothers will get along as roomies.

That being said we regularly cruise with my parents. We did Alaska with them (they were celebrating their 50th) and had a wonderful time. We have sailed many times with them and will be sailing with them again in a week. One and only rule we have- we don't do everything together! Dinner is the only thing we must show up to. We check in at dinner. Sometimes we do things together during the day, but most times we don't. We can invite them to things, they can invite us to things- it is ok to say "no" if anyone wants to.

Thanks, all. Will definitely check and see if any deals are available, but it sounds promising. And our mothers will get along, but I hear you about making sure we have some separate activities and time apart! :evilsmile:

Cheers!

Ask your mothers how they feel about sharing a cabin...you know a cabin is NOTHING like a hotel room (size-wise)! And yes...discuss plans in advance! Some parents will want to be "joined at the hip"...others might want to do their own thing....and the 2 moms might not want to be together all the time, "sweet" as it sounds!

Talk A LOT before you do this!

On board credit, and if you choose a non-refundable deposit you get a reduced deposit, extra discount, and extra on board creidt

Bob, is the OBC for 11 nights the same as 12 night cruises? I've only booked 12 night on board.

We just cruised with my parents. I was a bit stressed about it prior to the cruise, but it was great. The best way to visit with them. They did their thing we did ours and met for dinner. We had such a good time we are leaving another cruise next year.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
The "break" point is 10 nights. 3-5 nights, 6-9 nights, 10+ nights. (the three groups of OBC)

LOL - At first I thought you were talking about a breaking point for time spent with family...mine is much shorter than 10 nights. ;p:halo::evilsmile::cool::o