Waste of Time and Money in Hair Salon

happyboomer

I will be in Europe for 2 1/2 months and am planning on having my hair colored on a ship. At least they speak English and can understand what I want. So, if someone cannot imagine why a person would spend cruise time in a salon, this is one reason. Last year we traveled for seven months in Europe and I had my hair done 4 times in different countries with varying results but the search for a salon and stylist consumed a lot of time. Of course I will have my hair done before I leave by my regular stylist! But when you travel for a long period of time, you have to think outside the box. I have learned, however, to make very sure what the cruise salon is charging you, have them write down exactly what they are doing including the price.

My husband and I are both hairdressers, and often go to the hair salons promotions to listen to what they are trying to sell. The last time was on Celebrity Eclipse where the very young stylist was advising on colour choices and aftercare. Neither of us had ever heard such drivel in all our careers.

When she asked if we had questions, being honest, we said we were in the profession and just interested in what she had to say, she became very flummoxed and quickly wound the sales pitch up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please spare a thought for those that have little choice but to use the salon on the ship. My wife has mobility problems including arthritic shoulders with limited movement. This means she cannot wash and blow dry her own hair. I think it was close to $270 for three wash and blow dries on our last cruise, tantamount to profiting from disability.

Please spare a thought for those that have little choice but to use the salon on the ship. My wife has mobility problems including arthritic shoulders with limited movement. This means she cannot wash and blow dry her own hair. I think it was close to $270 for three wash and blow dries on our last cruise, tantamount to profiting from disability.

Well unless they were charging you more because your wife is disabled then in no way are they taking advantage of your situation. It is what it is and prices on a ship are much higher than salons and spas at home.

My husband is disabled and we can no longer take long private shore excursions like we use to do, so we just suck it up and pay the overpriced ship excursions because it is convenient for us.

Not all things in life are equal, nor in my opinion should be.

Just a suggestion - has your wife ever considered a wig for cruising? That might save a lot of money.

The cost of my blow dry was over $60 not including the 18% gratuity. Hair just touches my shoulders. Conditioner was $34.00 (not including gratuity). Maybe someone on board can get the exact price, but it was def over $60 for the wash and blow dry. Now I'm beginning to think the stylist charged me for the long length price. I was told at the front desk I would be charged for medium length hair.

Those prices are ridiculous, even by on board salon standards. And charging additional for the wash is beyond stupid.

I can see using similar tactics throughout the ship :

1. Dinner in the main dining room is included in your fare, but a fork will cost you $20.00 per meal.

2. Want to stand on an open deck and gaze out at the water? Sure, but just be aware there is a $1.00 per minute "viewing fee".

3. For your convenience, a gratuity will be added to your on board account for any questions posed to a crew member.

4. Admittance to the main theater is granted to all passengers. There will be an additional charge of $10.00 per person should you wish your seat to face the stage. *

* charge is waved for Elite Plus and Pinnacle members as well as those guests staying in suites and is reduced to $5.00 for Elite guests.

Ouch! Please don't give them any more of your ideas!;p:'):')

Steiner is the name of the company that leases space on the ships. I couldn't find any link for customers to contact them, only for applicants or current employees. However if you want to have some good reading, they are also on the book that faces and there are some pretty disgruntled employees. If anyone want to read it the title of Steiner one world spa experience. However, it seems like they haven't used it since 2012, makes you wonder

Edited by myfuzzy

Steiner is the name of the company that leases space on the ships. I couldn't find any link for customers to contact them, only for applicants or current employees. However if you want to have some good reading, they are also on the book that faces and there are some pretty disgruntled employees. If anyone want to read it the title of Steiner one world spa experience. However, it seems like they haven't used it since 2012, makes you wonder

Spa services have not been provided by Steiner for the last couple of years. Canyon Ranch is the provider.

Those prices are ridiculous, even by on board salon standards. And charging additional for the wash is beyond stupid.

I can see using similar tactics throughout the ship :

1. Dinner in the main dining room is included in your fare, but a fork will cost you $20.00 per meal.

2. Want to stand on an open deck and gaze out at the water? Sure, but just be aware there is a $1.00 per minute "viewing fee".

3. For your convenience, a gratuity will be added to your on board account for any questions posed to a crew member.

4. Admittance to the main theater is granted to all passengers. There will be an additional charge of $10.00 per person should you wish your seat to face the stage. *

* charge is waved for Elite Plus and Pinnacle members as well as those guests staying in suites and is reduced to $5.00 for Elite guests.

So apparently you are the one who convinced them to stop offering the various free ship tours to any passengers who wanted them, but instead combine them all into one, longer ship tour, toss in a few extras, and charge a hefty price. clear.png?emoji-eek-1725clear.png?emoji-wink-1685