Western/Russian tensions. St Petersburg stop

Sundowners

Hi,

In August our P&O cruise has a 2 day stop over scheduled in St. Petersburg.

Considering the present Russian, Western World diplomatic tensions, I'm keen to hear the views of seasoned travellers on the subject.

A week ago, I asked P&O the following questions, but they havent got back to me yet....Or chose not to.

1) do you believe the ship will still keep to its schedule and stop in St. Petersburg?

If so

2) do you think the 2 day excursion we're booked on, and have paid for, will go ahead?

and if so

3) do you feel that our safety ashore will be compromised at all?

I was quite happy to just go along with news from P&O, and as I've said earlier, heard nothing, but then we received the following warnings....

from the UK Foreign Office.......

Due to heightened political tensions between the UK and Russia, you should be aware of the possibility of anti-British sentiment or harassment at this time. If you’re currently in Russia or due to travel in the coming weeks, you’re advised to remain vigilant, avoid any protests or demonstrations and avoid commenting publicly on political developments.

While the British Embassy in Moscow is not aware of any increased difficulties for British people travelling in Russia at this time, you should follow the security and political situation closely and keep up to date with this travel advice.

And this arrived on Saturday from our own DFA's SmarTraveller site......

Due to heightened political tensions, you should be aware of the possibility of anti-Western sentiment or harassment. While the Australian Government is not aware of any increased difficulties for Australians travelling in Russia at this time, you should follow the security and political situation closely and keep up to date with this travel advice. Remain vigilant, avoid any protests or demonstrations and avoid commenting publicly on political developments. The level of our advice has not changed. Exercise a high degree of caution in Russia. Higher levels apply in some parts of the country.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks & Cheers,

Rob

We are on the Pacific Princess and scheduled to be in St. Petersburg for two days in July. I expect to get there.

1, Yes

2. We have a private tour and no money is due for it until the end of the first day of the 2 day tour. I expect the tour to go as planned (it is with Alla Tours.

3. No.

Also, we will be there during the World Cup. One of the semifinals will be played in St. Petersburg our second day there. With all the world watching I don't think Russia will want a publicity disaster.

There's also the fact that if Russia are going to target any Brits (or others) in any way it probably will be those of high importance politics wise and not a boat load of cruisers.

Get travel insurance, book the tour you want with the ship and if Petersburg is cancelled you won't loose any money.If you don't feel safe once on board you can cancel within a certain time period.

I personally would still go to St Petes...it's a stunning city.

Hi, I know this completely off topic but I noticed you are from Oz and sailing with P&O uk...did you have to anything special to book/settle your amount etc? Also when you rang up did you have any problems ringing P&O here in the UK?

The reason I ask is we are doing it 'the other way round' as we are from the UK and have booked with P&O Oz on the Aria for this summer.

We have paid our deposit and entered our details no probs on the Oz website. Just have to pay up in June.

If you are breaking no laws, are not drawing attention to yourself in a negative way,while out and about you are not likely to be bothered by Russian officials or anyone and Yes, I do think your tours will go as planned.

I would use the same traveler common sense one uses anywhere and enjoy your time in that fascin ating city.