US v European sites

Reef Knot

Hi,

I'm living in Madagascar and am looking into a cruise next March/April. When accessing the Silversea/Seabourn /Cunard sites I usually end up on the .com pages with fares quoted in US dollars. If I go ahead and book will my credit card be debited in US dollars ?

Thanks for any help on this,

That's certainly the way it normally works.

And I strongly suspect that the US sites are cheaper than the European sites.

The exchange rate that your card supplier gives you will be good - far better than exchange websites & bureaux - but most charge a foreign-currency fee. Can't help in Mozambique, but elsewhere in the world folk can get cards which don't charge a foreign-currency fee. Since you'll also be paying your on-board account in USD and using your card in the ports can I suggest you ask around about credit cards which don't charge a foreign-currency fee.

We have such cards - we use those for foreign travel, & other cards (which offer different perks like cashback) for domestic spending.

JB :)

Most likely.....but for a definitive answer I'd call the bank or CC company that issued the card. I would think that if/when you put it on your card, it will automatically be converted to your currency using that days official exchange rate. At least that's the way it works whenever we purchase something on a CC in a country who's currency is not US dollars.