Microfiber Beach Towels

I appreciate the fact that the cruise lines furnish beach towels for excursions. However, I don’t like having to carry heavy, wet towels around while shopping before getting back on the ship. Has anyone taken/used microfiber beach towels? Opinions??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, not only for a our cruises, but for land-based beach vacations as well. Even though they're lightweight, they're very absorbent and dry out quickly in the sun. Also, sand shakes out of them very easily. If you're thinking about purchasing some, try to get the larger size, as close to 72 inches as possible. If it's an exceptionally hot and humid day, spread the towel out on your lounge chair to act as a bit of insulation between you and the chair.

as a 'car guy' I have a stack of microf' towels .....

sometimes I accidentally grab one to wipe my face

OUCH

these are not soft IMO ... or maybe soft but also abrasive

I'd not want as a beach towel

but maybe the beach towel fibre is different .....

(I find the whole microfiber business to be FUBAR!!!!!)

We were like you and hated hauling the weight of the towels around. We found a company that sells the kind of beach towel that you might want. We bought 2 and loved them. They fold up so neatly and go in the front pocket of our fin bags. You might want to look at the "Tessalate" website. It's a company out of Australia. We are very happy with our purchase.

Sherry

sometimes I accidentally grab one to wipe my face

OUCH

I'd not want as a beach towel

but maybe the beach towel fibre is different .....

Before I bought our microfiber beach towels, I had the same concerns as you. But, the beach towels are made differently than the hand towels you're talking about. Although not soft and plush like a regular beach towel, they are soft, and not rough like the type you would use to wash your car.

sometimes I accidentally grab one to wipe my face OUCH

Dude! As a fellow classic Mini owner and general automobile enthusiast, I have to totally refute what you just said.

OK, microfiber towels are not for human skin, given, but they are absolutely the best thing for removing wash water or wax from your car's paint since sliced bread. Except that you can't dry your car with sliced bread 'cause it gets all soggy. Microfiber towels don't scratch surfaces anywhere near as much as other cloth products, which is why you'll always see them bundled in waxing kits. This also makes them good for wiping down glossy plastic surfaces.

You could use the great sun?

I know a lot of couples/smaller families that take one towel to the beach regardless of whether they are cruising or not. Might be an idea?

If you all have cover ups you would probably do just fine.

Yes, we have these microfibre towels. Very dense, very very quick drying, very lightweight, very very soft to the skin, and pack down to almost nothing. I’ve used them for nearly 20 years since my previous back packing days. I’ve now got beach towel size versions and pack them every cruise. If we go to a beach they come with us. We sail from Southampton, UK, so luggage limits are not an issue, but they take up almost no room. I far prefer them to scratchy ship towels. No trapped sand to bring back, no heavy wet towels to carry back. And they dry skin instantly. Good ones are expensive (in UK) but well worth it.