Since we have done binoculars, what about cameras?

menkot

We have good binoculars (a pair for each of us), but from what I have read, we need a good camera. I don't want to break the bank. I told my dh to get me one for my birthday before we go. I told him a nice used one with a good lens and zoom from eBay, facebook, or a pawnshop would be great. I told him an older digital one would be great too (as long as it isn't too old). What do you have and love? I need suggestions. :D:D:D:D

How big (physically) do you want to go?

I would suggest a DSLR with a full frame chip and interchangable lenses. Then buy good glass lenses, but this gets pricey.

Because my travel this time includes traveling around Japan before the cruise I opted not to take the DSLR and instead got a new point and shoot, on the basis of reviews I got the Sony RX100V, I have a 52mm adapter on the way with a 2.2X lens to attach. Whole kit with other extras running around $1,200. This is an upgrade from my Nikon P&S which is several years old.

There is a dedicated camera board on cruise critic that will get you more answers than you probably will want, lol!

It all depends on your experience with cameras and how much you want to spend.

While I appreciate DarkJedi's suggestions, unless you have experience with DSLRs or plan on taking a lot of time with familiarizing yourself with one beforehand, for the novice/casual photographer it might be overkill especially as you have a budget. The RX100 is nice - big sensor and good lens but out of the box, probably won't have the zoom you want

A decent bridge or travel zoom camera will be more than sufficient. In this area, I like Panasonic products for features vs price point - took a ZS50 to Alaska last year and it did great. Small enough to fit in my jacket pocket, 12MP sensor (don't fall in the more is better trap, especially in a travel camera), 30X (24-720mm equivalent) zoom, shoots in RAW and a very useable electronic view finder. If you can still find one (the latest is the ZS70) it should run you around $150 new.

In a bridge (looks like a DSLR but smaller and fixed lens) the FZ200 and its weatherproofed cousin the FZ300 are worth looking at. Even though they are older cameras (the 200 came out in 2012 and the 300 a year or two later) they have very desirable features - 24X zoom (24-600mm equivalent), shoots in RAW, an EVF, a 12mp sensor and it shoots at f2.8 across the entire focal range - translation: better low light, action and distance shots. You can still find these new - the FZ200 around $250-$300 and the FZ300 around $450-$500

Like all digi-cams, they will shoot in Auto Mode as well as other preset modes (night shots, portraits, action, etc) but will also allow you to get creative with some manual adjustment

Edited by Herfnerd

There have been some past threads on this.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2575708

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2582753

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2592965

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2582764

Most of the cameras mentioned have an older version that you might be able to find used or discounted new.

I decided to go with the Panasonic ZS 70. Many of the ones recommended have a lot of features so some practice with the camera before leaving would be a good idea. I haven't started that yet, but will have a few weeks between retiring and leaving on my trip to get familiar with the camera.

My advice is to figure out your budget now and later. If the later number is less than the now number, you probably want a point&shoot. If point&shoot, my suggestion is to go to Best Buy or wherever you might find a good variety, and scope out the ones in your budget. IMHO, everything at any one particular price point is going to be competitive with the others in the price point. Do pay attention to menus and such; it becomes a huge relevant portion of using the camera, so if the menus aren't enticing to how your brain works, move on.

If DSLR, be realistic about your skills. They can take great pictures on auto and with the "kit" lenses, but you'll really open up their capabilities if you learn more about photography, buy more expensive lenses, or both. When we cruise Alaska, I take and use three DSLRs, and maybe six lenses. Usually, one of those is one that I rented for the trip, costing me about $600 for the week but it'd cost me $14,000 to buy. So yes, there's more out there beyond the initial kit...

If you are wanting a point & shoot type camera the Canon Powershot SX720 HS is very good. It's a little larger than a pack of cigarettes (will easily fit in a pocket), has 40X zoom, 20 megapixels and takes fantastic pictures. They list for $300 but if you look around you can find one for a little less at places like Amazon. I'm very impressed with this camera - I have a large changeable lens Canon camera but this is what I keep in my shirt pocket for quick shots.

If you are wanting a point & shoot type camera the Canon Powershot SX720 HS is very good. It's a little larger than a pack of cigarettes (will easily fit in a pocket), has 40X zoom, 20 megapixels and takes fantastic pictures. They list for $300 but if you look around you can find one for a little less at places like Amazon. I'm very impressed with this camera - I have a large changeable lens Canon camera but this is what I keep in my shirt pocket for quick shots.

I will second this recommendation! I bought the same camera last May at Best Buy for my Alaska trip. I would say the only negative is that it goes through batteries fairly quickly and the batteries are pricey but they are rechargeable. For some reason, the batteries were hard to find but I did locate them at Nebraska Furniture Mart. I took about 2500 pictures in 2 weeks and some days would be on my third battery.

I've been pleased with the camera and the pictures. It's not too heavy and can be carried/packed easily.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti

Thanks everybody! After reading here and the camera board, I went for the Panasonic lumix fz70. I found a used one on eBay for a really good price. (To me anyway). It should be in later this week. That gives me about 5 months to practice with it. I am so excited. I don't know of I am going to make it until September. 😂