Give back to la perla community excursion

I haven't. But La Perla? Wow. That's a place police don't even wander in to by themselves. Just a few years ago, it was rated #3 in the top 10 most dangerous neighborhoods in the world. I'm interested to see how this works out.

That excursion just feels wrong to me. I considered it for all of thirty seconds since we'll be in PR in June. I'm all for giving back and helping the community get back on its feet. But packaging this as an "excursion," and charging $49/person, no less, feels too much like they're trying to make a buck off the disaster. Couldn't they have donated some of the proceeds for the "excursion" to hurricane relief efforts?

We're doing a food tour instead ... looking forward to it and happy to give back to the community in that way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My wife and I did this shore excursion on the Celebrity Equinox on April 2, 2018. WE never felt that it was unsafe and all the people we met there were very friendly. As far as kids I don't recall if there were any in our group but I didn't see any reason that it wouldn't be ok for children. our group packed baggies with new socks underwear and wash clothes for those homeless come to the shelter to shower and get breakfast. Other groups we were told did things like clear hurricane debris out of the park or plant a vegetable garden.

This is what I wrote in my in my Celebrity survey after the cruise.

We really enjoyed the Giving Back to LaPerla excursion. It’s easy to become self centered when on a cruise with all the staff there to take care of you. The excursion really put things in perspective and it felt good to help others in some small way.