Question on Upgrade with Solo Discount

robin13

Five weeks ago I booked a last minute cruise on the Escape for the 4/14 sailing. I booked a Studio cabin that was $899 but after adding in the drink package it came to $1140. Yesterday I noticed that a balcony cabin is now $799 and you can get 2 perks. The total would be $1060. I immediately called my cruise consultant who tried to change cabins but it wouldn't work so he had to ask his supervisor. After being on hold for 15 minutes he comes back and says that since I booked my Studio cabin with a solo discount and this new price is also a solo discount the system wouldn't let them upgrade me. I told him that I would be willing to pay for an upgrade but he said it would be $740. Um no thanks. He did say that if the solo discount is no longer available then I could upgrade. Has this happened to anyone else?

Five weeks ago I booked a last minute cruise on the Escape for the 4/14 sailing. I booked a Studio cabin that was $899 but after adding in the drink package it came to $1140. Yesterday I noticed that a balcony cabin is now $799 and you can get 2 perks. The total would be $1060. I immediately called my cruise consultant who tried to change cabins but it wouldn't work so he had to ask his supervisor. After being on hold for 15 minutes he comes back and says that since I booked my Studio cabin with a solo discount and this new price is also a solo discount the system wouldn't let them upgrade me. I told him that I would be willing to pay for an upgrade but he said it would be $740. Um no thanks. He did say that if the solo discount is no longer available then I could upgrade. Has this happened to anyone else?

this makes sence.

you are passed final payment.

i have no idea what he's talking about upgrading from studio to balcony if there's no solo discount on the balcony.

once you're passed final payment, you can't change w/o penalty

Let me share with you what happened to me last year, as an analogy that in some way may point to what is holding up your ability to move.

I was booked in a Studio and received one freebie. This was a 7 day cruise on Escape and my paid fare was $979. I had gone online and purchased the Thermal Spa for $199.

The week prior to the cruise, someone in the Roll Call said she just booked because of the fare drop. So I looked to find that balconies for a solo traveler were $649 for the week or $649 EACH for a couple (Solo travelers didn't have to pay double for the cruise.)

Since it was beyond final payment, and I knew they wouldn't give money back, I looked for a cabin that equated what I paid and found a Spa Mini Suite for $1,149 if I remember. (I had paid $979 + $199 = 1,178)

I called and found out I could cancel the Thermal Suite pass up to three days before sailing. So I told him that I wanted to cancel and move to a Spa Mini Suite and pay the difference; they'd refund the $199 pass and I'd pay 1149 less 979.

He said that yes, that would work, but: THERE ARE NOT ANY SPA MINI SUITES. I went online and there were several. He went online and saw the same. But with my reservation it would NOT change, saying NO SPA MINI SUITES AVAILABLE.

He called tech support. Turns out because we had not yet canceled the Spa Pass, it would not let me book any spa room. As soon as he processed the cancellation, it because available. I ended up with two freebies.

I offered that because you did mention something the beverage package, which it sounds like you may have purchased, rather that just paying for the gratuities.

If you did buy the beverage package, then you may want to cancel it and then see if you can do the upgrade. Maybe it will work. If not, you could just buy the beverage package again.

Have you purchased anything else online, that you think may interfere?

Good luck

this makes sence.

you are passed final payment.

i have no idea what he's talking about upgrading from studio to balcony if there's no solo discount on the balcony.

once you're passed final payment, you can't change w/o penalty

Not true. There wasn't a penalty when I went from Studio to Spa M/S.

Nor was there a penalty when I moved from inside to balcony on a sailing in 2012.

NCL is happy to accept the fare difference and upgrade if space is available.

Let me share with you what happened to me last year, as an analogy that in some way may point to what is holding up your ability to move.

I was booked in a Studio and received one freebie. This was a 7 day cruise on Escape and my paid fare was $979. I had gone online and purchased the Thermal Spa for $199.

The week prior to the cruise, someone in the Roll Call said she just booked because of the fare drop. So I looked to find that balconies for a solo traveler were $649 for the week or $649 EACH for a couple (Solo travelers didn't have to pay double for the cruise.)

Since it was beyond final payment, and I knew they wouldn't give money back, I looked for a cabin that equated what I paid and found a Spa Mini Suite for $1,149 if I remember. (I had paid $979 + $199 = 1,178)

I called and found out I could cancel the Thermal Suite pass up to three days before sailing. So I told him that I wanted to cancel and move to a Spa Mini Suite and pay the difference; they'd refund the $199 pass and I'd pay 1149 less 979.

He said that yes, that would work, but: THERE ARE NOT ANY SPA MINI SUITES. I went online and there were several. He went online and saw the same. But with my reservation it would NOT change, saying NO SPA MINI SUITES AVAILABLE.

He called tech support. Turns out because we had not yet canceled the Spa Pass, it would not let me book any spa room. As soon as he processed the cancellation, it because available. I ended up with two freebies.

I offered that because you did mention something the beverage package, which it sounds like you may have purchased, rather that just paying for the gratuities.

If you did buy the beverage package, then you may want to cancel it and then see if you can do the upgrade. Maybe it will work. If not, you could just buy the beverage package again.

Good luck

I am having the issue you had. I have already bought my spa pass. I tried to upgrade to the spa balcony and system would let me CAS rep. calling him with this info.

Not true. There wasn't a penalty when I went from Studio to Spa M/S.

Nor was there a penalty when I moved from inside to balcony on a sailing in 2012.

NCL is happy to accept the fare difference and upgrade if space is available.

Ahh.. Did not know that. Thx!

Hmm.. in the ops case, it appears the extra $ for alcohol is just the mandatory tips on his freeseas choice promo, and not outright buying the alcohol package.

But it won't hurt in having ncl take off the package and then try the room switch.

Also, you mentioned ncl is happy for you to pay the price difference in upgrading rooms past final payment.

But the op isn't paying more.

The balcony room without solo supplement actually costs less than studio

Good luck

My cabin came with one perk so I chose the drink package. However, I did prepay my gratuities a couple of days ago so I am wondering if maybe that is why it is not working.

It might be any issue because it's a cheaper cabin. Since it's past final you can't get a refund. I know on another line we wanted to upgrade after final due to a price drop but had to find a cabin that was as much or greater than what we paid and the one we could find was more than we wanted to pay to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk