"Junk fees, it seems, are going cruising..."

Jana

Over the past couple of years there have been several posts here about phantom water/minibar charges that required action to have removed.

Someone brought the issue to syndicated columnist/consumer advocate Christopher Elliott, who seems pretty convinced that these charges are intentional.

Interesting read!

http://www.elliott.org/thats-ridiculous-2/left-ship-uneasy-feeling/

That’s no longer an issue as Royal no longer leaves water in the stateroom or soda and snacks in the minibar.

I noticed that the article is a "rerun" but I didn't realize that the practice had stopped. I was sure I had water on my desk when I cruised in October but I just looked at the photos I took of my cabin and that part was left out. :rolleyes:

When did the change take place? Were they "shamed" into it, do you think?

I noticed that the article is a "rerun" but I didn't realize that the practice had stopped. I was sure I had water on my desk when I cruised in October but I just looked at the photos I took of my cabin and that part was left out. :rolleyes:

I'd guess they stopped leaving "extra cost" 1L water bottles 6-9 months ago. If you have the 500ml water bottles now, they are a free gift.:)

The change wa done in 2 stages. First was the elimination of all the items in the mini bar. That stopped those charges and then maybe 6 months to a year later the water on the desk stopped.

I know that there was not water on the desk in January (other than our complimentary C&A water)

OK, that makes sense. I knew there was nothing in the fridge but I am pretty sure there was a liter bottle (or two of them) on the left side of our desk at the beginning of October last year. And we knew not to touch them. Thanks all.

Interesting. Thanks. I didn't know any water would be free. So if we have 500 ml bottles of water in the room, those are free. But if there is a larger size (1L), don't touch or we will be charged. Correct?

Interesting. Thanks. I didn't know any water would be free. So if we have 500 ml bottles of water in the room, those are free. But if there is a larger size (1L), don't touch or we will be charged. Correct?

The 500ml bottles are free. I've not seen any of the 1L bottles for months, so I doubt you will see them.

Thank you Bob. I have been telling my Dad that bottles of water are not free on the ship so this is good to know.

Just so you know, the few free bottles you get initially won't be automatically replenished for free.