Just off Gem / Any questions?

odessy

Is there a low traffic ("secret") deck? A good place to sit and view the water?

We won't have a balcony unless our upgrade bid is accepted.

Great outdoors , in back of ship. Plus if you went up one deck from there, there are 2 large round lounge chairs. If you can grab one it is nice, but there is the basketball court right there so it may not be as quiet as great outdoors.

Just reading the posts before me. Yes, Lorena was her name. Funny how everyone perceives differently. Obviously a difference of opinions. It was the cruise before us that got in so late. That, in turn made those of us on my cruise very late in boarding. No one was happy that day!

Just reading the posts before me. Yes, Lorena was her name. Funny how everyone perceives differently. Obviously a difference of opinions. It was the cruise before us that got in so late. That, in turn made those of us on my cruise very late in boarding. No one was happy that day!

I left March 27th and just got back yesterday. At first I wasn’t crazy about her, then I started getting involved in activities and felt she was always around. Plus every time we saw her, she always said hello to me and my wife. We were impressed with her.

Do you happen to have copies of the Menus?

I do not. I have to say food in main dining room for dinner did not impress me, it was ok.

The buffet and specialty places were very good. We ate at Le Bistro 3 times, and Cagneys once. We ate in main dining room twice for dinner and it was just eh , for lunch and breakfast we enjoyed main dining room.

We also enjoyed wings, Rueben , nacho chips, at O’Sheehan’s

Thanks for sharing - same good old MDR dinner menu, same Everyday Lunch menu that never changed - am I calling this right ?? Was hoping to hear about 2018 menu changes being rolled out, I guess not - or at least not yet.

Sailing very soon on her and wouldn't mind a little changes. Anything that stand out from the MDR ? Anyone noticed O'Sheehans doing Daily Specials, i.e. Prime Ribs, BBQ, etc. like the mega ships.

T.I.A.

Did they still have the cookouts on deck for lunch?

Yes, during lunch time by the pool. Good steak and chicken and they had this green sauce with a little zing that tasted so good on steak,

Were there any photography stations in the atrium (or other location) the evening of embarkation?

I don’t remember seeing them in atrium first night, we did use them in atrium a few days in and saw them every night. We did have pics taken right before boarding at pier.

Thanks for sharing - same good old MDR dinner menu, same Everyday Lunch menu that never changed - am I calling this right ?? Was hoping to hear about 2018 menu changes being rolled out, I guess not - or at least not yet.

Sailing very soon on her and wouldn't mind a little changes. Anything that stand out from the MDR ? Anyone noticed O'Sheehans doing Daily Specials, i.e. Prime Ribs, BBQ, etc. like the mega ships.

T.I.A.

Lunch and breakfast pretty much the same in MDR, I heard there was a prime rib night in O’Sheehan’s , but if there was I did not see it. Every time I went there it was the same menu.

They did have a roasted pig in buffet on oriental night, that was a first I ever saw on cruise.

... a roasted pig in buffet on oriental night, that was a first I ever saw on cruise.

Oh, yes - that was on the BA last November - we skipped it, BIL/SIL on the sailing tried it ... Thumbs down (highly personal & subjective opinions, of course) saying it was a hybrid piglet, somewhere between a Hawaiian luau & classic (non) crispy (skin) oven roast pig - seasoning was "bad" to taste. Oh, well ... it is what it is AND they did do a "fancy" job decorating on themed nights.

Let's see if we might get surprised on our sailing later this month, someone solo doing a B2B and will be on 2nd. leg with us, perhaps with good "intel" on what else - food-wise - to expect, LOL.

Any info if the Gem rolled out the newest 3-tiered WiFi internet/unlimited/social media plan, or still on earlier variant (improved somewhat). Already has 310 minutes to meter our usage while at sea, not expected to upgrade ,,, but one of those, nice to know in advance for planning purposes. (Appreciate your time answering us ... thumbs up.)

How was the weather and seas? We went on the Gem out of NYC on the 11 day stretch and we had about 30' seas in the Atlantic for about 20-24 hours our first day out. It was insane! I've never been in weather like that! Everything in the bathroom was crashing around and you could hardly walk around the ship! Once we got passed that storm we had beautiful weather! Just wondering if that was an "off" day or if others had that experience?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

Yes, same guy. His name was Richard, I met him at cruise critic meet and greet. Saw him around the ship a few times. Nice guy.

How was the weather and seas? We went on the Gem out of NYC on the 11 day stretch and we had about 30' seas in the Atlantic for about 20-24 hours our first day out. It was insane! I've never been in weather like that! Everything in the bathroom was crashing around and you could hardly walk around the ship! Once we got passed that storm we had beautiful weather! Just wondering if that was an "off" day or if others had that experience?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

We also had rough seas the first 24 hours, plates crashed in buffet area, wife was sick, but after that weather was fantastic, a. It chilly the second day as well. But seas were calm. I was on Gem around 6 years ago out of NY , and we also had rough seas first 24 hours. So maybe that is normal.

Rookie family going on Gem next week-- question-- they made us book our rooms with one parent and one child in each (our kids are 13 and 15) but the kids will be sharing. Will we just be able to switch room keys or do they have your picture on them like they did on the Disney cruise we did last year?

We are going on The Gem for the first time in a few weeks. Have sailed on The Pearl and loved it so we expect to enjoy her just as much. Have never sailed from NYC before. Any advice where to have driver pick us up when we return? It sounds like disembarkation was rough. Ten o'clock arrival is late. Our eDocs say we will return at 8:00 am. Thanks for the post, look forward to your full review.

We are going on The Gem for the first time in a few weeks. Have sailed on The Pearl and loved it so we expect to enjoy her just as much. Have never sailed from NYC before. Any advice where to have driver pick us up when we return? It sounds like disembarkation was rough. Ten o'clock arrival is late. Our eDocs say we will return at 8:00 am. Thanks for the post, look forward to your full review.

10 was not a normal time to get back, usually it is earlier. I contacted our driver when I got my luggage, and he picked us up across the street from pier. So at 8am the traffic should be pretty light

Rookie family going on Gem next week-- question-- they made us book our rooms with one parent and one child in each (our kids are 13 and 15) but the kids will be sharing. Will we just be able to switch room keys or do they have your picture on them like they did on the Disney cruise we did last year?

I dont know there policy in this regard, you k ow your kids best, and if I had to bet, I would say if they are well behaved and don’t cause issues, no one will say anything, but again I don’t know there policy.