Elevator observations

I forgot one on my original list... in the middle of the cruise, it's a beautiful day, and this 11 year old boy in the elevator says to his family "I just want to get home and play Fortnite on my computer".

His family looked a little exasperated. The rest of us on the elevator tried to stifle laughs.

CL and DL is on deck 14 (VCL deck) on Radiance series. Going up in the elevator to access that deck (dress heels) and arriving on that deck (end of the line) at the time of first seating for dinner.

Guaranteed there will be a mob standing there coming out of the lounges with full drinks in hand to push and shove their way onto the elevator as soon as the door opens.

Trying to get off, I will proclaim.."Hey guys...how much further up do you think we were going from here? Let us off first PLEASE!!" :eek::(

I dislike when people using wheelchairs or walkers are not allowed to get on the elevator first, sometimes I wonder where common courtesy is. It takes so little effort to be kind.

Unfortunately that is very much the case lately. I broke my foot first night on Brilliance last year. Was in a wheel chair the rest of the cruise. Taking the stairs, obviously not an option.

You would not believe how many times I had to miss an elevator opportunity due to pax around me jumping in front of us to grab those elevators. Quite the eye opener for sure.

OTOH, there are those with wheel chairs or scooters who feel that entitles them to bypass everyone waiting and get on the next elevator first.

Courtesy goes both ways.

No, I patiently waited while able bodied 20 somethings pushed around me while I was sitting in my wheelchair waiting for the elevator. Once that elevator filled up, no room for a wheel chair...so I waited...and waited until I could finally get one less crowded that the wheel chair would fit on. Sometimes it was 5-6 times watching the doors open and close.

Later in life perhaps some of those "lovely people" may find themselves suddenly in that position and might just think back upon their rudeness. Luckily for me my foot is healing ..and should be able to take the stairs again next year.

Edited by island lady

CL and DL is on deck 14 (VCL deck) on Radiance series. Going up in the elevator to access that deck (dress heels) and arriving on that deck (end of the line) at the time of first seating for dinner.

Guaranteed there will be a mob standing there coming out of the lounges with full drinks in hand to push and shove their way onto the elevator as soon as the door opens.

Trying to get off, I will proclaim.."Hey guys...how much further up do you think we were going from here? Let us off first PLEASE!!" :eek::(

Love it and there is another place I am not judgmental when a woman gets on in heels and rides up 1 flight. Those open carpeted stairs on many ships are severe trip hazards, especially trying to maneuver around teens using the stairwells as lounges

OTOH, there are those with wheel chairs or scooters who feel that entitles them to bypass everyone waiting and get on the next elevator first.

Courtesy goes both ways.

The vast majority of people in these circumstances are probably not this way, but the stereotype mold was made by someone :evilsmile:

I think its worse on the Oasis class as people who probably don't use any assistance in real life see this big ship and just better get assistance for the first time. I've seen so many people using scooters for the first time not be aware that the throttle is a variable adjustment, not an on/off switch. In Disney Word my daughter 14 at the time got run over with tire marks on the back of both legs by such a first time her. Later I saw that guy hit the throttle and he ran into a parade float during the nightly parade on Main St.

Then on Allure in 2013 was the scooter lady who made my cruise review. When I got off the elevator to go to dinner her and a group of about 10 people, most in scooters were using the elevator to take a group photo. Nobody could get off 4 different elevators near the dining room at 10 minutes before 2nd seating. Once we got to the MDR lobby the doors weren't open and it was 10 minutes late, she get going back and forth between the 2 doors yelling and pushing people out of her way with her hand and with her front tire. I got really lucky as the last time she went by me, the doors opened and she was the first one in. I rode her wake and was 2nd! :)

We were on the Serenade last week. We got into an empty elevator, it stopped on the next floor and a man (won't call him a gentleman) and his small son got in. The son promptly started to push all the buttons. Assuming the parent didn't notice. My wife tells the child very nicely not to do that. The parent then barks to my wife "my son can do what ever he wants" My wife tells him off without cursing. He gets belligerent. I tell him to calm down or else. He says my wife voice is making his ears bleed. If we weren't so close to Pinnacle I would probably have added his nose to the bleeding. But I kept cool.

Then he goes on a rant about nasty, rude Americans (he was English).

Love it and there is another place I am not judgmental when a woman gets on in heels and rides up 1 flight. Those open carpeted stairs on many ships are severe trip hazards, especially trying to maneuver around teens using the stairwells as lounges

Yup, that is the rare time I take the elevator (before I broke my foot) was when I was in dress heels. Going up 5-6 or more floors on a moving ship and heels really don't mix. :eek:

Those heels were exactly how I broke my foot on Brilliance, dress heels and uneven floor in the CL. Twisted...and snap. Ouch...

And yeah...what is it about sitting in the middle of the stair case? Not just children, but adults also. There are plenty of chairs everywhere people...don't be so lazy and inconsiderate. :mad:

The vast majority of people in these circumstances are probably not this way, but the stereotype mold was made by someone :evilsmile:

Looks like that comment hit a nerve. Like comments about "abled bodied" people taking the elevator one floor hits a nerve with those of us who have an invisible disability.

FYI...Ok, a warning...if I hear a slightly under the breath comment (and I have in the past) about it when I am on the elevator that person can expect to hear something along the lines "If that was meant for me, you can go "bleep" yourself."