All 21 Antarctica Daily Heralds and Dining Guides + Provided Items Here (Feb. 2018)

FLgemini

I seem to remember friends of ours getting a copy of the drone footage of the cruise so there would be no reason to take a drone

We were given a memory stick with the photos taken by Seabourn on the Antarctica cruise we did a few years ago

• 1 month later...

We are considering Seabourn’s 21 day Antarctica out of San Antonio, combined with the 2 previous cruises (Miami to Lima, then Lima to San Antonio). 

Thank you to FLgemini for starting this post (so helpful!) and for your blog! Your blog looks to be a good read and I can wait to settle in to have a look! 

SKP946 mentioned not being rushed on the landings and having 1-2 hours. In information from seabourn (video or written, I’m not sure) I recall them saying that each guest could expect 90 min on a landing. I worry that is already a bit too short for my taste, but the hour that was reported does indeed sound rushed. Can anyone elaborate on this? I understand that there is always the chance that the expected time can be shortened due to weather or sea conditions, but what is the general amount of time that we can reasonably expect on a landing or a zodiac ride?

And while on board when it’s not your turn for a landing or a zodiac ride, what is everyone generally doing? I’m expecting to soak up the scenery- it was interesting to read that the ship can’t anchor in Antarctica (makes sense), so even while on board, the scenery changes - listen to a lecture or something educational about the area. 

TV24, you mentioned that your plans (2018) were for the very cruise(s) we are looking at for 2019. How did you feel about the length of time on board and the 3-cruise combination?

Thank you all for answering my questions!

Tammy 

4 hours ago, scottam said:

I recall them saying that each guest could expect 90 min on a landing. I worry that is already a bit too short for my taste . . . what is the general amount of time that we can reasonably expect on a landing or a zodiac ride?

You can certainly expect anything from 60-90 mins on a landing assuming the conditions are OK.  In practice, the main thing is to leave with your color group and when you are ashore they can be fairly flexible about getting people back to the ship.  I remember on some landings we only stayed about 30 minutes and just walked back to the landing point and waited for the next zodiac.   On other landings we stayed a bit longer than scheduled.  Personally, an hour was usually enough for me - it can be quite bleak just standing around gawping at penguins for longer than that.   And some landing places are fairly confined in area.  In others they offer longish hikes across an island (like Half Moon).  

My favourite time on the entire trip was being on board, mooching around Seabourn Square, drinking their fabulous coffee and taking it out on the back deck, wrapping up in a blanket, taking in the incredible scenery, chatting to fellow Questors, taking photos of passing wildlife etc.  Overall I much preferred that to togging up in 18 separate items of clothing and walking through snow, ice and penguin poo, a sort of nature's version of tiramisu. Smellier, too.

Edited by Fletcher

Seabourn states you have around an hour to an hour and and half, however, not once did anyone say to us that we had to head back to the Zodiacs. 

Looking at the time stamps on my photos at Neko Harbour, we left the ship just after 1pm and we were heading back at 3pm and that was more than enough time to a lot of of photos (In the 3 weeks I took over 5,000 and my wife over 2,000; take plenty of memory cards )

i even had time for a swimsuit photo shoot (I’m an all year round swimmer here in Melbourne) however permission was only given to strip off on the condition that I wouldn’t swim !

AF1927F3-4AD5-4796-B6BE-E863C22B6AB7.png

D0FF958C-F9EC-49E7-94DD-B26F6115843D.jpeg

1C282A68-5412-4AA4-AA6C-A1A1BF29A6F8.jpeg

14DFE297-4C73-4B8A-A46A-8AD369D73FE8.png

5909E04B-521E-4D05-B66B-6B53723793EE.jpeg

Edited by SKP946

Hi Fletcher and FLgemini,

Thank you so much for your reply. That makes me feel better since we’ve just emailed our TA to profess a booking for the 43-day Miami to Lima, Lima to San Antonio, San Antonio to Buenos Aires by way of Antarctica! 

Excited? Yes!!! Lots of questions? Most definitely! I’ve got loads of reading to do!

Another question, if you don’t mind... 

I know people are called to the zodiacs by color group. Does the order in which the color groups are called vary from day to day or if blue, for example, is first out, they are always first? 

Ok, FLgemini, now I’m going to dive into your blog post. 

Thanks again!

Tammy

We started with five color groups which was then reduced to four - the order changes every day.  This means it's a matter of luck, really, regarding the conditions.  On Salisbury Plain in South Georgia, for instance, the first group went ashore and then all subsequent landings were cancelled. You never can tell down there. 

Of course, Tammy, you do realise that traditional expedition ships usually offer two landings a day.  Because of its size, the Quest can only offer one as landings are  officially restricted to 100 people at any one time in Antarctica. 

Just now, Fletcher said:

We started with five color groups which was then reduced to four - the order changes every day.  This means it's a matter of luck, really, regarding the conditions.  On Salisbury Plain in South Georgia, for instance, the first group went ashore and then all subsequent landings were cancelled. You never can tell down there. 

Of course, Tammy, you do realise that traditional expedition ships, such as Silver Explorer or NG Orion, usually offer two landings a day.  Because of its size, the Quest can only offer one as landings are  officially restricted to 100 people at any one time in Antarctica. 

38 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Of course, Tammy, you do realise that traditional expedition ships usually offer two landings a day.  Because of its size, the Quest can only offer one as landings are  officially restricted to 100 people at any one time in Antarctica. 

Thank you! And yes, I do realize that the trad exp ships do 2 landings. I’m weighing the pros and cons between them and The Quest. For us, for many different reasons, the Quest is winning. Time ashore was the one thing I’ve been struggling with though, but I think it’ll be ok. Many other things are outweighing that. And, the time lounging on the ship, enjoying a coffee or cocktail and the scenery sounds amazing, too! 

It definitely seems most fair to alternate color groups and that’s what I was hoping for. That way one group isn’t always last and the only ones suffering the effects of cancelled landings. It’s definitely the luck of the draw and up to Mother Nature!

Thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate it!

9 hours ago, scottam said:

Hi Fletcher and FLgemini,

Thank you so much for your reply. That makes me feel better since we’ve just emailed our TA to profess a booking for the 43-day Miami to Lima, Lima to San Antonio, San Antonio to Buenos Aires by way of Antarctica! 

Excited? Yes!!! Lots of questions? Most definitely! I’ve got loads of reading to do!

Another question, if you don’t mind... 

I know people are called to the zodiacs by color group. Does the order in which the color groups are called vary from day to day or if blue, for example, is first out, they are always first? 

Ok, FLgemini, now I’m going to dive into your blog post. 

Thanks again!

Tammy

We completed this itinerary in November/Dec., 2018 and it was one of the best cruises we have ever taken, among 32 completed.  My review has been posted on CC.  We were very well taken care of, very safe and secure all the way.  We saw a lot of landscape and animals and learned a lot, and traveled in style.  They alternate the color code disembarkations so a different group is first each day.  Very fair.

Thanks for all helpful input! We have just booked the 43-day itinerary! We are so excited and can’t believe after many years of discussing and researching, and discussing it some more, we’ve finally booked! I’m both excited and nervous about such a length of time on a cruise (our longest is 21 days), but excited about all the great adventures to come along with it! 

Tammy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi victorsend,

The only moment of entry and exit from the zodiac through really water!”

I understand that now where possible they use portable landing platforms (remember we were in the first cruise of only the second season)

The boots were “Boggs” that are insulated and very comfortable.

Is there anywhere I can play table tennis on the ship?

There is usually a Table Tennis table on deck 11 on Quest.

Cheers

1 hour ago, gallivanter said:

We are booked for the thanksgiving cruise to Antarctica and would like to know if the dress code will be relaxed while in Antarctica.  Thanks..... Jon

The same dress code as on other Seabourn itinearies.  People do get dressed for the formal nights, but there are work-arounds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SKP946 said:

Hi victorsend,

The only moment of entry and exit from the zodiac through really water!”

I understand that now where possible they use portable landing platforms (remember we were in the first cruise of only the second season)

The boots were “Boggs” that are insulated and very comfortable.

Is there anywhere I can play table tennis on the ship?

There is usually a Table Tennis table on deck 11 on Quest.

Cheers

Yes, there is a table tennis area and it was not much used on our 46-day Quest journey.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:05 AM, tv24 said:

The same dress code as on other Seabourn itinearies.  People do get dressed for the formal nights, but there are work-arounds.

TV24... Thank you for your response... What are the work-arounds?  Thanks!

Edited by gallivanter

8 hours ago, gallivanter said:

Gallivanter - there's lots of stuff about the dress code thing on at least two Antarctica threads.  I was on the Quest last year to South Georgia.  I took a suit for Christmas Day in the Main Dining Room and immediately regretted doing so.  Never wore it again.  The 'code' only applies to the MDR which theoretically requires at least a jacket for men on formal nights, of which there are none in Antartica itself.  You can wear 'smart casual' in any other dining venue on formal nights.  On my cruise I reckoned only about a third of passengers were seriously scrubbed up. No one really cares what anyone else is wearing.  I dare say the cruises to the Caribbean and the Med might be dressier. 

9 hours ago, gallivanter said:

There are always various workarounds available.  First, one can dress casually in the Collonade, where dinner is served in the evening, plus there is always room service, which can be lovely as you enjoy a great movie from the vast number available.  If you participate in the formal dress up in the MDR, men can wear a coat with a tie, or with no tie.  Tuxes are not required.  And on our recent Antarctic journey, some people dressed and others did not, and no one was turned away in the MDR.  People looked good, no flip flops mind you, but not everyone was in formal dinner outfits.  We all had to lug adventure gear for Antarctica, so adding formal clothes was almost impossible for some PAX.

21 hours ago, tv24 said:

There are always various workarounds available.  First, one can dress casually in the Collonade, where dinner is served in the evening, plus there is always room service, which can be lovely as you enjoy a great movie from the vast number available.  If you participate in the formal dress up in the MDR, men can wear a coat with a tie, or with no tie.  Tuxes are not required.  And on our recent Antarctic journey, some people dressed and others did not, and no one was turned away in the MDR.  People looked good, no flip flops mind you, but not everyone was in formal dinner outfits.  We all had to lug adventure gear for Antarctica, so adding formal clothes was almost impossible for some PAX.

21 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I was on the Quest last year to South Georgia.  I took a suit for Christmas Day in the Main Dining Room and immediately regretted doing so.  Never wore it again.  The 'code' only applies to the MDR which theoretically requires at least a jacket for men on formal nights, of which there are none in Antartica itself.  You can wear 'smart casual' in any other dining venue on formal nights.  On my cruise I reckoned only about a third of passengers were seriously scrubbed up. No one really cares what anyone else is wearing.  I dare say the cruises to the Caribbean and the Med might be dressier. 

Thank you both for your quick reply.... Sorry mine wasn't quicker but we're onboard a ship near Tianjin China and the internet is slower than it was back in the mid 80's..... with 300 baud modems..... 

We're really looking forward to being on the Quest with landings in Antarctica and not worrying about dress codes at the bottom of the world.

Thank you again.... Jon

Edited by gallivanter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks bjkrlk! I guess I'll need to go on the Seabourn Venture when they launch it and do this all over again. Enjoy your adventure.

As an aside, I love your part of the world in Bluffton, South Carolina. One of the best resorts I've ever stayed in was there in the low country.