Changing times of clocks

Photo Andy

Cruisers

when do the clocks on board change time during a transatlantic or World cruise? Do people find it easier with a wrist watch having dual time or 2 hour hands?

Thanks

Photo Andy.

Always travel with a camera.

This past September, eastbound time changes were at noon [clocks advanced from 1200 to 1300] along with the daily announcement.

Westbound, the time changes were sometime at night. We did notice that several clocks, including one on the Promenade, were never showing the correct time.

Can not answer the wrist watch question as, like most passengers, I did not wear one on the ship.

My understanding is that it is determined by the Captain. Usually on TAs he decides to change at Noon on East-bounds, and at midnight on west-bounds. On other types of cruises, not so sure, but our experience has been that the change is at midnight.

To answer your second question, I've never felt the need of a dual-time watch. Being on our own time in the middle of the ocean is part of the appeal to us. But then again, I've never needed to track shoreside time for communication with work or family.

...However, these days, any direct communication would involve a computer, phone, or tablet - each of which tells the time anywhere on earth.

First timer's tip - be sure to set your electronic devices for manual time adjustments, as satellite synching will not happen in the middle of the Atlantic. (and even if it did, it's likely that the ship's time changes would not exactly correspond with the geographical boundaries at times during the crossing) There is always a line at the Pursers Desk and Connexions around days 2 & 3 with this problem.

Edited by MarkBearSF

We had 2 recently on QM2 - into Vietnam, clocks were changed overnight.

Out of Vietnam, the next sea day, they changed at midday to 1pm.

It may be that if it's a sea day, they do it at noon, if it's a port day next, they change overnight.