Controlling Child’s Spend

On our first cruise our two kids shared a room (son was junior in college, daughter was freshman in high school). We gave them the freedom to spend as they wish. Neither were into arcade games and stuff like that so we did not worry. Besides, we had raised them to be responsible.

When we got the bill on the last day for our account we immediately noticed a consistent purchase for both of them:

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's

We just had a good laugh and paid the bill. The vacation was planned for us to have one last trip together and for all to have a good time. If that meant they bought a lot of ice cream...oh well.

Post of the day!!!!

We put a "limit" on our kids' cards on their first cruise, mainly so that if they lost their card someone wouldn't go hog wild with it and buy out the jewelry store. (I know it brings up pictures, etc. just using an example.) But, it was suggested to do more of a weekly limit (it's been a few years) and I don't think it included arcade charges. Also, make sure to see if the gratuities will count against their "limit". It did with ours, and we had to go adjust it because we didn't count on that.

But we also told them that they would be limited by us to $xx dollars a day and if they went over that, then they would be forced to come and sit with us all day no matter where we went and how boring it was. They had the refreshment package so that they didn't have to worry about spending their daily amount on drinks - my rule was if it was out of your hand except at your table while dining, then it was no longer yours and get another drink. We'd made a point to check it out on the tv each night and sit with them and discuss what they wanted to spend etc.

My 5 kids have had charging privileges on many vacations, and have never even reached their limit that I told them (around $25 each). They know I’m going to check, and they know that if they go over, they will be paying me back, plus be in trouble. I also give them a credit card when going to the mall with friends.

That is because your parents never taught you the proper waiting period for public bashing.

I'm sure they're crushed that Cruise Critic wasn't around to help them raise their kids.