Suggested Shoes/Clothing for Nugget Falls Trail from Mendenhall Glacier Center (June)

ajtraveler66

While in Juneau in the last week of June, all we plan to do is go to the Mendenhall Glacier Center and take a hike to Nugget Falls. We would probably spend about 10-15 minutes at the falls and then hike back to get our DIY transportation.

Would decent athletic shoes be sufficient?

What type of jacket/overcoat? [Prefer something that packs efficiently]

Thanks.

Yes, that will be fine. I just had a long sleeve shirt I wore over my short sleeve tee shirt. And athletic shoes are just fine. It's not a hard trail just rocky for a bit. It's been a while since I was there, 2011, so it could have changed a bit, but I am sure you will be fine. Enjoy!! I loved it.

People walk out there in flip flops so athletic shoe will be fine. It could be 40 or 70 degrees, sunny or pouring down rain. As with any other Alaska port, at the least, a light weight waterproof hooded jacket and then layers underneath depending on how cold it is.

I had hiking shoes but the rest of my family did the trail in running shoes. We were also there in June and it was cold the day we were there, in the 50's.

Here is a picture I took on the trail. It's easy and my 70 year-old ILs did it with ease.

Here is a youtube video that shows the trail.

Just about everything in AK tours wise has some youtube videos. Some way better than others. I could not stand some of the really bouncy ones. sightcrr

Your video was amazing! Thanks for sharing! We will be doing a ship's excursion to the Glacier and I see that we are only there for one and a quarter hours. We will have time to walk to Nugget Falls and back (if we walk quickly)??

To make sure there is no misunderstanding the youtube is not mine. I just searched youtube, watched a few and picked the best one and shared it.

1.25 hours should be enough time if you don't dilly dally. Do the falls first then trails close to busses and center if time allows. sightcrr

To make sure there is no misunderstanding the youtube is not mine. I just searched youtube, watched a few and picked the best one and shared it.

1.25 hours should be enough time if you don't dilly dally. Do the falls first then trails close to busses and center if time allows. sightcrr

Great! Thanks for your help.

I would probably do the cruise ship's tour to the Mendenhall Center, but each option is tied to something else (e.g. garden, whale watching, hatchery, etc). We are going to go to the Center/Falls on our own because that's all we care about seeing. It will be less expensive that way, and we should have plenty of time to see Nugget Falls without feeling rushed. And we should have more than ample time to get back to the ship.

We are debating whether to take a taxi, a bus, or do a transportation option provided through Juneau Tours.

Here is a youtube video that shows the trail.

Just about everything in AK tours wise has some youtube videos. Some way better than others. I could not stand some of the really bouncy ones. sightcrr

Great video. Is there a way to get closer to or even on the glacier?

Thanks

One of three ways that I know of to get close or on glacier.

1) Long and difficult hike up the west side trail. It used to be a lot closer but the glacier receded. (I haven't done it.)

2) Canoe/kayak tour across lake and hike to it and ice caves with hard hats and crampons. (I haven't done this one either).

3) Helo to glacier. This is the way I've done it but to Herbert glacier with Costal.

Search youtube and you will see each.

sightcrr