Help with Wi-Fi choices...

a4ofspades

We haven't cruised Carnival for a few years so am trying to compare/contrast internet access with Carnival now vs NCL (although in trying to find prices, it looks like NCL has changed some things just since January).

I access the internet every day while on a cruise...once a day to check our e-mail accounts, attempt to upload some pics to Facebook, and I have 2 websites I check every day for free e-books..it's a reader addiction, don't judge ;)

On NCL, I would buy a small pkg of minutes (like 120 or less I think) and that would suffice for a week. In reviewing Carnival's packages, it looks like value would work best but I have to admit I am confused about a few things. Is that unlimited use for the whole day and, if it is, then why does it include 3 tiers and mention 24 hours?? Pre-Cruise price: $10.25 USD per day | Onboard price: $12.00 USD per day | Onboard price for 24 hour plan: $16.00 USD.

When it says per day, do you have to purchase for every day of the cruise? For a 5 day cruise, I would assume it would be $10.25 x 5???

Hopefully my questions are clear and any clarification/help/advice would be much appreciated. Mary

There are no more by the minute packages. The social package is now only weekly. We did not notice any significant difference between the other 2 wifi packages. I had the premium plan and my wife the middle plan We could not upload any FB pictures. We even left the laptop open plugged in and went out to dinner, still spinning when we returned. We gave up, logged on AT&T LITE at port and uploaded in seconds. We found the only thing that worked were text based sites like Cruise Critic and email. I hope it better on other trips, in the end Carnival refunded both our packages as it was not as advertised

It is unlimited use all day, but can be slow depending on wifi traffic at the time.

With the pre-purchase price, you’re buying one of the plans for the entire cruise at that daily price. If you wait until you get on board and buy one of the plans for the entire cruise, you pay the on board price. So for those two, whatever the price is multiplied by number of days of your cruise. Then with the 24-hour price, you’re paying that much to buy the Value or Premium plan for a 24-hour period only. Some people only want access a couple days out of their cruise. The Social plan isn’t available on a 24-hour basis, it has to be purchased for the entire cruise.

The tiers simply mean how much you can access. Carnival blocks the rest. So the Social plan is for Carnival’s site and the more popular messaging apps and social media apps/sites. Value plan gives you email access and a few other sites, and is supposed to be a little faster. The Premium plan is full internet access and the fastest speeds.

Reliability varies. How many people are using wifi, location on the ship, etc. Recently, there’s been a lot of reports of very slow wifi on many ships. To the point where Guest Services gives refunds. So your mileage may vary.

Thanks so much for the info!! Yes, I am aware wi-fi is slow on ships no matter what and there are factors like where you're trying for access, etc. I don't mind slow...I experienced dial up in the way way back so...;)

I think I understand the differences now and it looks like NCL is no longer doing the minutes either so this will be something I'd have to address either way. Again, thanks so much!!

Thanks so much for the info!! Yes, I am aware wi-fi is slow on ships no matter what and there are factors like where you're trying for access, etc. I don't mind slow...I experienced dial up in the way way back so...;)

I think I understand the differences now and it looks like NCL is no longer doing the minutes either so this will be something I'd have to address either way. Again, thanks so much!!

No problem. :) I tell my son about the good ole days of dial-up. He just laughs. I don't know what's been going on with Carnival's Wifi lately, but there's been all kinds of complaints on here about terrible service. More bad than good, it seems.

I don't really care about getting on the internet, but we're terrible parents and pulling our children out of school for a week.;p

Our oldest daughter is in high school, and thanks to technology she can keep up by going onto Google classroom for most of her assignments. (We did not suggest this - she did. She is still adamant that she would rather stay home with grandma to "avoid all the socializing")

How easy is it to get online during port days? How long could she get access for? We would rather not buy the internet package. Not only do we not want to spend the $$ - our other three would end up watching youtube videos all night as their sister/babysitter obliviously skyped with her boyfriend (while wearing headphones).

No problem. :) I tell my son about the good ole days of dial-up. He just laughs. I don't know what's been going on with Carnival's Wifi lately, but there's been all kinds of complaints on here about terrible service. More bad than good, it seems.

That's funny. Kids don't know the struggle we used to go through. When I explained to my 14 year old that we had dial-up, I could see the wheels turning but he just didn't get it. I had to start with the basics and explain what a landline phone was first and tell him we used to have an actual phone in our house. Our computers plugged into that phone box. (We haven't had a landline phone in 15 years, they were pointless for us since we all have a cell). Even then I don't think he understood the concept of exactly how slow things were. How it took an hour to download a song on Limewire, oh the pain. I didn't even go into the whole BBS days. ;)

That's funny. Kids don't know the struggle we used to go through. When I explained to my 14 year old that we had dial-up, I could see the wheels turning but he just didn't get it. I had to start with the basics and explain what a landline phone was first and tell him we used to have an actual phone in our house. Our computers plugged into that phone box. (We haven't had a landline phone in 15 years, they were pointless for us since we all have a cell). Even then I don't think he understood the concept of exactly how slow things were. How it took an hour to download a song on Limewire, oh the pain. I didn't even go into the whole BBS days. ;)
When my boy was probably about 10, we were in an antique shop. He spotted an old phone on the shelf (push button, not rotary) and asked what it was. He got a kick out of holding what seemed like a giant handset up to his face. I remember finally getting some software that acted like Caller ID for dial-up internet. I'd get a pop-up on the screen telling me who's calling and I had the choice to ignore it or disconnect the internet and let it through. My wife's sister used to get so ticked off all the time because she'd call and call, getting a busy signal forever. Well that's because I was downloading a song and wasn't about to disconnect when I was half way there. :')

How easy is it to get online during port days? How long could she get access for? We would rather not buy the internet package. Not only do we not want to spend the $$ - our other three would end up watching youtube videos all night as their sister/babysitter obliviously skyped with her boyfriend (while wearing headphones).
From what I hear, there are a lot of places in port that have wifi, many of them free. Or, say it's a restaurant, just sit down and buy something. I think the bars like you to buy drinks to use the wifi, but that might not be the ideal place for your daughter to do her homework. :o Many on here say to talk to the crew on board. They know all of the good wifi spots in port because they use them.