Alaskan Cruiserour Luggage Question

JDSRGS

My husband and I are heading on our first Alaskan cruisetour in June. Land first, cruise second. We have heard that you should have luggage for that part and then luggage specifically for the cruise. I’m assuming this is true but looking for suggestions on those who have done this have handled the situation.

Are there luggage dimensions or restrictions on what can be on the bus/train?

I have looked everywhere and having a hard time finding any info on this.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

My husband and I are heading on our first Alaskan cruisetour in June. Land first, cruise second. We have heard that you should have luggage for that part and then luggage specifically for the cruise. I’m assuming this is true but looking for suggestions on those who have done this have handled the situation.

Are there luggage dimensions or restrictions on what can be on the bus/train?

I have looked everywhere and having a hard time finding any info on this.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

We have a cruisetour leaving on May 21st and had the same concerns. The edocs have a paragraph on luggage storage. They say the tour director will give you special tags for the bags that you want stored for the entire land portion. It also states this option is unavailable for tours with only two hotel locations as this does not allow enough time for the possibility of storage.

There is no stated limitation of quantity or size. I did call the cruisetour number and asked specifically about luggage size. I was told the Canada cruisetours and one Alaska cruisetour have luggage restrictions, our is not the one with the restriction, we are doing 4B. She didn't say which one did have the restriction.

We were able to take whatever we wanted. They will give you tags for ship luggage if you have specifically packed that way. The reason for this is that luggage will stay stowed under the motorcoach instead of being off loaded and reloaded at every stop.

The driver will handle all of your luggage. When on the train your luggage still travels by road and will already be waiting in your hotel room when you arrive. You will already be checked in to the hotel and they will just give you a room card/key as you depart the motorcoach.

It’s a very seamless process! There is nothing in your paperwork until you arrive but remember to tip the driver who handles your luggage throughout the trip, your tour director who is in charge of everything arranging excursions, answering questions and pointing out things to see along the way and finally your train host who narrates your trip. Tip the host daily as the change ($1po was recommended) and then your driver & tour conductor at the end of the trip.

Hope this answers your question.

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were able to take whatever we wanted. They will give you tags for ship luggage if you have specifically packed that way. The reason for this is that luggage will stay stowed under the motorcoach instead of being off loaded and reloaded at every stop.

The driver will handle all of your luggage. When on the train your luggage still travels by road and will already be waiting in your hotel room when you arrive. You will already be checked in to the hotel and they will just give you a room card/key as you depart the motorcoach.

It’s a very seamless process! There is nothing in your paperwork until you arrive but remember to tip the driver who handles your luggage throughout the trip, your tour director who is in charge of everything arranging excursions, answering questions and pointing out things to see along the way and finally your train host who narrates your trip. Tip the host daily as the change ($1po was recommended) and then your driver & tour conductor at the end of the trip.

Cindy

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the info!

So all your luggage will be delivered to your hotel room if you choose this as an option? I just want to make sure that I'm packed the way we want to be packed to make it "easy". I can't see needing all nice clothes when I'm on land so I see the benefit of packing separately for each week. Are you allowed a carry on for the bus/train?

Cindy

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the info!

So all your luggage will be delivered to your hotel room if you choose this as an option? I just want to make sure that I'm packed the way we want to be packed to make it "easy". I can't see needing all nice clothes when I'm on land so I see the benefit of packing separately for each week. Are you allowed a carry on for the bus/train?

Yes you may take a small carry on such as a back pack or travel bag. I think everything else was stored underneath the coach. The driver stays with the coach the entire trip. He arrives ahead of the train for all the check in unloading process. When you make short stops you may leave bags/backpacks on the coach and it will be locked.

They will load and unload all bags not marked for the ship only. So if you want all bags you can have them all. The only time you really have to touch your bags is to have them repacked any outside your hotel room door by a certain time each morning. Usually by 6 or 7. That gives the driver time to collect & load while you have breakfast or whatever.

There is a very detailed trip report in my signature if you want to take a look. Or you can check out my blog by searching for Alaska then it won’t have all the comments/questions that my live report had.

My blog is broken down by day/port/excursion/etc and has lots of pics, train times, menus for train, Denali, hotels etc etc. to give you an idea of what’s offered and pricing (although it’s 2013 pricing). You might find it a bit of help.

Cindy, how long was your cruisetour? Our cruise docs specifically say that luggage storage is not offered for cruisetours with only two hotel locations.

Luggage Storage As a convenience to our guests, we off er a service for some tour patterns to store luggage while you are on the land portion of your Cruisetour. Your Tour Director will provide you with special tags to indicate storage, and subsequently, those pieces of luggage will remain secured on the coach for the length of the land portion of your trip. If you would like to take advantage of this service, we encourage you to pack accordingly. ***This option is unavailable for tours with only two hotel locations as this does not allow enough time for the possibility of storage

Hi Cindy.

I will check out your review for further information. We are doing the land tour first and then headed to Seward this July. What happens with the luggage on the last day of the land tour? When we leave the hotel on the last day of the land tour do/should we already have our cruise room tags on our bags? In another words will we see our luggage in Seward when we board the ship or does it go direct to our cabin without us touching it?

We sailed south bound one time in 2004 and honestly do not remember what happened with the luggage once we got on the bus at the airport. It was a ship transfer. We did but the tags on prior to putting the bags on the bus.

Hi Cindy.

I will check out your review for further information. We are doing the land tour first and then headed to Seward this July. What happens with the luggage on the last day of the land tour? When we leave the hotel on the last day of the land tour do/should we already have our cruise room tags on our bags? In another words will we see our luggage in Seward when we board the ship or does it go direct to our cabin without us touching it?

We sailed south bound one time in 2004 and honestly do not remember what happened with the luggage once we got on the bus at the airport. It was a ship transfer. We did but the tags on prior to putting the bags on the bus.

Hi Andrew, I'm interested to know this as well. We are cruising with Cindy on Radiance in June. Royal is not great at giving information regarding the cruise tour portion. I've just started reading her review.

Cindy, how long was your cruisetour? Our cruise docs specifically say that luggage storage is not offered for cruisetours with only two hotel locations.

We had a 6 night cruise tour. So maybe on shorter ones they won’t store it.

Hi Cindy.

If I remember correctly we were dropped right at the ship and pretty much walked right on. I believe the luggage went straight to the ship. We may have already put our ship tags on before leaving for Seward. I’ll look at my notes to see if I mentioned anything about that part.

Hi Andrew, I'm interested to know this as well. We are cruising with Cindy on Radiance in June. Royal is not great at giving information regarding the cruise tour portion. I've just started reading her review.

The cruisetours website has some additional information if you haven't checked that out yet. Make sure to check out the resources section that will show you all the optional excursions that are available on the land portion.

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/content/uploads/2016/06/17059544_AlaskaOptionalTours_Update_Doc_v2_LR.pdf

Your luggage will go directly to your cabin (or outside) on the last day of the land tour.

We put our cruise tags on in Seward, then did a boat ride and tour in Seward, and our luggage was waiting in our room when we boarded (which was about 6 p.m.) as the tour of Resurrection Bay included lunch and a long boat ride.

Don't stress over your luggage, they have the procedure down pat! Have done 3 cruise tours and they are usually seamless.....ours were.

Valerie, I have already read the daily blog and am going to read Cindy’s live review after dinner. I’m looking forward to it. I do have to agree, Royal seems to be spartan on their pre cruise details. Yes we have the general idea, but I have learned more by doing searches on CC and on-line. We are doing tour 1B.

If I remember correctly we were dropped right at the ship and pretty much walked right on. I believe the luggage went straight to the ship. We may have already put our ship tags on before leaving for Seward. I’ll look at my notes to see if I mentioned anything about that part.

Thanks Cindy. Your blog was great and I look forward to reading your review. Having done a few live reviews I know how they can be encompassing they can be. Thank you for helping with your answers.

The cruisetours website has some additional information if you haven't checked that out yet. Make sure to check out the resources section that will show you all the optional excursions that are available on the land portion.

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/content/uploads/2016/06/17059544_AlaskaOptionalTours_Update_Doc_v2_LR.pdf

Wow! Thank you so much for this information. I called Royal on a few different occasions to get some information. Not sure why they couldn't provide these links. Thanks again, it is so helpful.

Wow! Thank you so much for this information. I called Royal on a few different occasions to get some information. Not sure why they couldn't provide these links. Thanks again, it is so helpful.

You're welcome.:) One thing I noticed was that if you are doing a "B" cruisetour, when you look at the 2018 PDF for that cruisetour, it shows you the "A" tour and says reverse it for the B. I looked at the 2019 information and each tour now has its own PDF file. We are doing 4B and I liked being able to see 4B detailed out, instead of trying to figure out how to reverse 4A.

This link goes to 2018 and 2019. If you look at 2019, you should see what I am trying to explain.

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/cruisetours/alaska/#2019_4A

I already have our tours mentally booked from this booklet. Our ship tours have been arranged. I’m hoping to find the money tree in the backyard before we cruise. ;)

I already have our tours mentally booked from this booklet. Our ship tours have been arranged. I’m hoping to find the money tree in the backyard before we cruise. ;)

I have done that too.:D I also know what our hotels are now since I have our edocs, so I went to their websites. I was able to find the times that the included tours, like the Tundra Wilderness Tour runs, and also the times of the optional tours. If those times are correct, we are pretty planned out, just need to make sure there is available space once we meet with the tour director.:)

We are actually doing 2 days on our own first before we join the cruise tour. In Fairbanks we have rented a car from Arctic Outfitters for a very long day (pick up at 7:00am and drop off before midnight). They are designated the car rental company for taking cars up the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle. See my post here - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2621400 There are also a couple of YouTubes about doing this. We are doing cruise tour 2B as Doug is interested in the gold dredge stuff. The only other thing I want to do is upgrade the tour in Denali from the History one to the longer one. Haven't figured out how to do the upgrade yet.

I certainly know what you mean about the money tree for this one. I've actually come out of retirement and gotten a part time job for the summer to pay for it. :o

You're welcome.:) One thing I noticed was that if you are doing a "B" cruisetour, when you look at the 2018 PDF for that cruisetour, it shows you the "A" tour and says reverse it for the B. I looked at the 2019 information and each tour now has its own PDF file. We are doing 4B and I liked being able to see 4B detailed out, instead of trying to figure out how to reverse 4A.

This link goes to 2018 and 2019. If you look at 2019, you should see what I am trying to explain.

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/cruisetours/alaska/#2019_4A

Thanks so much. We are doing 2B so this was very helpful.

Thanks so much. We are doing 2B so this was very helpful.

Glad you figured out what I was trying to explain. Seeing our 4B detailed out on paper, instead of trying to reverse something that starts in another city, really helped me figure out what we want to do. I looked at Pike Wilderness Lodge website too and that had information that helps too.

I have done that too.:D I also know what our hotels are now since I have our edocs, so I went to their websites. I was able to find the times that the included tours, like the Tundra Wilderness Tour runs, and also the times of the optional tours. If those times are correct, we are pretty planned out, just need to make sure there is available space once we meet with the tour director.:)

The day you go to Denali they will start talking about the 2 tours. I really suggest that everyone does The extended tour it was so worthwhile. The day before you go to your rooms they will give you information about what you can do that evening and what you want to do in the morning. I remember being out around 6AM for breakfast then they put you in groups and send you on the school buses. We were able to see so much wildlife it was amazing. I hope you will be in the top 1/3 to see the top of Denali. We did not get to see it. Enjoy your trip take a large card for your camera I took 2500 pictures with my camera and about 600 with my I phone. Bring binoculars if you have them. If you are going in the summer (June to July) bring layers of clothes to wear not just a heavy jacket because it did get up to about 75 degrees. You will want to be able to take of clothes as it gets warm. A backpack about the size of a day pack comes in handy to put your clothes in. I hope this helps you some.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums