A Curious Balcony Mystery

TidePrideGA

I had forgotten about this but thought of it today for some reason and thought y'all might be interested in one of those little quirky things that happened on the Westerdam.

We had an SS with a great balcony aft/port, about two balconies in front of the hump. When we first arrived, we thought the chairs (2 table-type chairs and two large arm chairs with ottomans) were nice but uncomfortable. (Being first-time cruisers we didn't know any better). However, standing at our balcony and looking at the hump balconies and others around us, we noticed that the other balconies' chairs had cusions - ours didn't. The next time we saw our steward, Yakim, (which was soon as he was always around when we needed him - just awesome and adorable!) we asked him for cushions. He said he would get us some, and did within less than 24 hours.

Here's the mystery: He later told us that the reason we didn't have cushions was that when he went to turn the room on the 11th, they were gone! His assumption was that the previous occupants had stolen them - that seems unlikely to me. The most likely scenario seemed to me that they had thrown them overboard, either for sport or in anger. Of course, I suppose there's also a chance that someone in the HM department had removed them for some reason unbeknownst to Yakim - but that also seems unlikely.

IF the previous occupants were responsible for the loss of those cushions, it just goes to show you there's an exception to every rule - including the one that HAL pax have more "class" than most MM lines.

Tide Pride,

Thank for the info on Phil Lafayette. I mailed him and he responded the next day. We have already booked him for April 12, can't wait!

Which tour did you take? We thought about the Oho Rios Highlight with a couple modifications, NO MARGARITAVILLE

katie

Tide - Unfortunately, unless removed by housekeeping for some reason unknown to the steward, it would be more probable that the cushions went over the side. I have trouble believing somebody would take them home as a keepsake as I've sat on those cushions on our SS verandah and while nice they weren't that great. :eek: Equally as unfortunate is that some passengers do strange/destructive things such as throwing complete chairs and/or lounges off the ship, painting their names on the walls of the Panama Canal from their verandah, carving their initials in the railings, etc., etc., so nothing really would surprise me.

Could the wind have caught them?

Perhaps they were detatched from the chairs to dry, and blew off?

Just trying to be generous toward the previous passengers.

But if not, I wonder if they could be charged the price after the fact?

Guessing not. The cost of good-will is more than the cushions.

The previous occupant might also have taken them elsewhere on the ship - perhaps they were used as cushions on a wheelchair?

We had a situation that was a bit similar. We invited a lady to our room for drinks. She came with her ice bucket (very considerate). However, when she left, she forgot her ice bucket. She told me her first name, but not her last and mentioned her husband's first name.

I asked the Neptune Concierge to see if she could find out who she was. She called me back with the names of two folks who might have been her (turned out it wasn't). I called that room, left a message (nobody called me back) and told my steward a lady would be coming to pick up the ice bucket.

When we came back from dinner, the ice bucket was gone. I asked the steward if the lady had come for the ice bucket and he said that he had given it to her steward.

On the last night, I got a call at 10 PM from the front desk asking about the ice bucket. It turns out the lady had a different room. I told them what happened and that was that. I never did find out if the ice bucket got back to the correct room.

Roberta

The previous occupant might also have taken them elsewhere on the ship - perhaps they were used as cushions on a wheelchair?

We had a situation that was a bit similar. We invited a lady to our room for drinks. She came with her ice bucket (very considerate). However, when she left, she forgot her ice bucket. She told me her first name, but not her last and mentioned her husband's first name.

I asked the Neptune Concierge to see if she could find out who she was. She called me back with the names of two folks who might have been her (turned out it wasn't). I called that room, left a message (nobody called me back) and told my steward a lady would be coming to pick up the ice bucket.

When we came back from dinner, the ice bucket was gone. I asked the steward if the lady had come for the ice bucket and he said that he had given it to her steward.

On the last night, I got a call at 10 PM from the front desk asking about the ice bucket. It turns out the lady had a different room. I told them what happened and that was that. I never did find out if the ice bucket got back to the correct room.

Roberta

• 3 weeks later...
I think I'll pass on any cruise that is rough enough that the excuse that the chairs blew overboard by themselves might make sense. :eek: We don't get sicksea....normally....but there's always that one time.

A few years ago I was on a 10 day cruise on the Celebrity Century and had a Sky Suite. We were half way through the cruise when someone had a stroke and we were too far away for medivac, but we sailed at top-speed to meet them. We met up with them about 1am. (keep in mind at the time I didn't even KNOW why we were going to fast), I got awakened out of a dead sleep with the most gawdawful noise I ever heard on a ship...it sounded like the engines were falling off. I opened by balcony door to see a helicopter right outside my balcony railing. (our suite was close to the landing deck). I almost stepped out onto the balcony when some officers were yelling at me to get back inside...the wind from that medivac copter was sooooo strong, it took one of my deck chairs off the balcony and it went flying into the drink. Good thing I didn't get all the way outside. :)

Guess anything can happen. :(

I prefer to think the best of the previous guests and feel better thinking that the cabin steward for this particular cruise didn't realize that maybe the cushions were dirty and they were removed (by some other housekeeping member) for cleaning but weren't returned in time. ;)

Doesn't that sound more charitable?:)

Much more "chair"itable for sure!!:eek: ;)

Note to HAL: Someone best frisk Brian and check his luggage before he leaves the Noordam after the inaugural cruise....I want my deck chair pads on our Transatlantic!! :p

ROTFL....GOOD ONE!!!!:p

Archived