Drinks packages

Apologies if this has already been asked, but if I purchase the Deluxe Drinks Package am I right in thinking that the 18% service charge is not added to that and the price it is advertised at, is the price I pay? However, if I choose to purchase drinks at the bars without purchasing a drinks package, then an 18% service charge is automatically added every time I buy a drink?

Thanks in advance.

No - if advertised price is, let's say $48 per day - you will pay $48 + 18% per day. Or $56.64

You can then tip additional at time of service if you feel it's deserved - but it's not "necessary". I usually will tip additional just because I've found it pays in the long run. The bartender tends to remember you and you'll get that extra attention.

Apologies if this has already been asked, but if I purchase the Deluxe Drinks Package am I right in thinking that the 18% service charge is not added to that and the price it is advertised at, is the price I pay? However, if I choose to purchase drinks at the bars without purchasing a drinks package, then an 18% service charge is automatically added every time I buy a drink?

Thanks in advance.

The 18% is added to the price of beverage packages, and also added to individual drink purchases.

Note that there are some places (I believe Australia) where the prices are quoted with the 18% already added in.

18% gratuity is included when you purchase the drink package. When given a receipt for a drink, you will be given the option to provide an additional tip on top of the 18% you have already paid when purchasing the package.

Thanks for the replies, but am still confused. Is the 18% added to the price of the drinks package, as stated by Clarea, or is it included in the price, as stated by slyster?

Where are you located and where are you seeing the price of the drink package?

I am in the UK and doing the Back to the 80s Cruise from Southampton on 6 May. The advertised price of the deluxe package is £48 per person.

If you are seeing the drink package advertised in your Cruise Planner, then put it in your shopping cart and check-out. Then you will see the total price. You will be able to cancel at that point.

I am in the UK and doing the Back to the 80s Cruise from Southampton on 6 May. The advertised price of the deluxe package is £48 per person.

On cruises out of Southampton the price of individual drinks on the ship already includes the gratuity so the price you see is the price you will pay just like in the UK.

Not sure about the package as we don't purchase it.

Julie

I've just added the drinks package to our cruise and the total price is what the advertised price is, so the service charge must already be included and not added on as an extra charge. Not sure if cruises out of Southampton do include the service charge on drinks bought at bars by those without a drinks package, to be honest. Have asked RCI direct and will update when I receive a response.

I am in the USA.

When we order a drink package, say it shows it shows $50.00/day in the cruise planner.

Once we go to check out in the cruise planner, it will show a different total amount, which includes an additional 18% added to it.

So it actually becomes about $59/day.

If you buy a drink on board for $10.00, they will automatically add an 18% gratuity, which makes it become a $11.80 drink.

I just used those particular amounts for ease of calculation.

I drink beer, which is much less. And, the drink packages usually "retail" for $63/day when not on sale. But, you really have to watch the "sale" pricing.

You will see 10-30% off. But, watch the actual prices, because they don't follow the % off "sales"

Edited by FireEMT978

I've just added the drinks package to our cruise and the total price is what the advertised price is, so the service charge must already be included and not added on as an extra charge. Not sure if cruises out of Southampton do include the service charge on drinks bought at bars by those without a drinks package, to be honest. Have asked RCI direct and will update when I receive a response.

The cost of the package when added to your 'cart' is the final price including the 18% tips.

The bar menus on all sailings from Southampton also show the final price, including the 18% tip. So when it says $10 that is the final total price.

No need to tip extra (although they do leave a space for you to do so).

The price you actually pay for drinks on UK sailings is no cheaper than on other sailings. For example something that costs $10 plus tip on a ship in the caribbean will cost around $12 on UK sailings as the service charge has already been included. It's just because in the UK we are not used to a service charge on drinks and when they used to add it everyone complained.

There are quite a few small differences on ships sailing from the UK because they adapt them for the British market.

Julie

Hi MSK, I am also booked on that cruise. Can’t wait:DThe price as advertised is definitely the price you will pay. So I think the Deluxe package is $65 per day which you have to pay for every day of the cruise, so 7 x $65 = $455 which by current exchange rate is £319 pp for the week, inc. the service charges. See you on the 6th! :cool::cool:

The price for the drinks package and some of the excursions has today been dropped. I had already put the drinks package in my trolley and the reduction in price is reflected in that, so I will leave it there and if the price drops again, the discount will be reflected. Looking forward to the 6th too!

So there are definite differences between sailings from the UK and US. Will wait to hear RCI's reponse.

This is common for most cruises out not out of the U.S. Since tipping is not always standard in foreign countries then RCI simply adds the gratuity to the price of the drink or drink package. Where the drink is $12 plus 18% in a Caribbean sailing, it'll be $14 no gratuity in Europe.

Sorry to hijack...but if you purchase a drink package you are charged %18 and you are charged and additional %18 with every drink as well?

No extra 18% is charged when you order a drink, unless the cost of the drink you order exceeds the package limit, in which case you will be charged the difference plus 18% of the difference.

The price for the drinks package and some of the excursions has today been dropped. I had already put the drinks package in my trolley and the reduction in price is reflected in that, so I will leave it there and if the price drops again, the discount will be reflected. Looking forward to the 6th too!

I don’t think the price will have dropped but it’s more likely to be the change in the exchange rate which has risen slightly in our favour earlier this week. I think you’ll find the price on the website will always be €65.

No. If you buy a package, what you pay is the total - no additional charge. If you choose to not purchase a package and buy individual drinks, you are charged a gratuity. However, this seems to only operate on cruises out of the US and not those originating in the UK, where the gratuity has already been included in the cost of the drinks.