What is the secret to get wine paired to perfection with every course?

miched

I'm not sure I could drink a glass of wine with each course. I usually have a white to begin with, then a red with the main course. So, that's 2 glasses of wine, and maybe a 3rd top off of red near the end of the meal.

Thanks for all of the replies.

As I am reading them I am thinking if there is a perfect pairing that is in the premium package why don’t they just list it on the menu for the wine to order with each course?

I am not a wine snob but do a some research. From what I have learned is that when you are presented with the cork and a taste it is to make sure that the wine isn’t spoiled and has nothing to do if you like the taste. Is this wrong? I have asked a few sommeliers about someone ordering a very expensive bottle because they wanted to try it and then refuse because they didn’t like it and I was told that it wouldn’t happen unless the wine was spoiled.

On board the ship they pour you sample from a common bottle that is part of the package for you to taste. If you don’t like it to them it no loss because they can serve the rest of the bottle to others. It is totally different than purchasing a very expensive bottle

The more responses I get the more that I am in agreement with just order what you like because it doesn’t matter as long as you like it.

Honestly have you ever had a glass of wine and could know before the food was served that it was the one that paired with the food? Or thought that the wine was great but then when consumed with the food made both taste terrible?

Just thinking outside the lines.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Honestly have you ever had a glass of wine and could know before the food was served that it was the one that paired with the food? Or thought that the wine was great but then when consumed with the food made both taste terrible?

Just thinking outside the lines.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Yes to the first; I’ve had the pleasure (and paid for it) of dining in a Michelin-starred, Wine Spectator listed restaurant, with multiple true Sommeliers. After the first time, I’ve trusted them implicitly to know their wine list and the chef’s dishes. And they’ve always been right.

That’s not a sustainable business model on a cruise ship. There are seven different menus, with multiple dishes, and people aren’t generally going to pay $25 for the perfect, hard to find, Austrian white that goes perfectly with the appetizer you just ordered.

Which doesn’t mean I haven’t had nice wine pairings on X. I probably need to be more specific next time, following emelle’s advice, and maybe I won’t be offered the jammy Pinot Noir when I was looking for Willamette Valley or Burgundy...