Cruise or land vacation safer for kids

Gingee

We got into a discussion tonight with my sister and other family members. We say that a cruise ship is safer than a land vacation due to the fact that it is harder to take a kid (not yours) off of a cruise ship versus a all-inclusive vacation on a tropical island. They were saying that there has been a lot of rapes on cruise ships. I know I worried about it when we started cruising but we told our teens to let us know where they are going and when they are coming back and keep in contact with walkie talkies. Any input on this?

Can't comment on 'a lot of rapes' as I have not heard of that. IMO, a cruise is as safe as any other vacation you would go on. Diligence on your part to your surroundings is required regardless of the vacation you choose. I have no hesitaion on cruising. Also, be careful not to be sucked into the 'sensationalism' the media is good at. If I took everything they threw at me at face value, I would never leave my home.

Really depends on where the land vacation is. Some of the all-inclusive tropical resorts have a pretty bad reputation as far as safety is concerned - Jamaica being one of the worst.

One thing about cruise vacations with teenage kids - just warn them not to get friendly with the crew. It is sort of a swarmy enviroment down in the belly of the ship - and some of these crew members have a different cultural and moral background. Otherwise - cruise ships are perfectly safe and secure.

I've always felt that a cruise ship is a fairly safe environment, about the same as a land resort. However, the main thing to bear in mind is that everyone (any age) needs to be aware of their surroundings at all times. Not scared, but cautious.

As above, the teens do NOT need to get chummy with the crew. They also need to have restrictions as to what time and where they will be, and check in with you frequently. Unfortunately, teens are just not adult-minded enough to see the dangers that we, as parents, know are out there. They are invincible!

Just set some guidelines and let them know you mean it! Hope y'all have a fantastic voyage.:)

We got into a discussion tonight with my sister and other family members. We say that a cruise ship is safer than a land vacation due to the fact that it is harder to take a kid (not yours) off of a cruise ship versus a all-inclusive vacation on a tropical island. They were saying that there has been a lot of rapes on cruise ships. I know I worried about it when we started cruising but we told our teens to let us know where they are going and when they are coming back and keep in contact with walkie talkies. Any input on this?

Look here for some reported incidents on ships:

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

What, and no crime at the resorts? I would think a cruise is safer, but I don't have the facts necessary to back that up. It is just my opinion.

I think there can be danger where ever you are. Look at all the stuff that is going on in the schools. Does that mean you don't let your kids go to school?Every day I read about something bad going on in or around the schools. Kids being left on the buses,being kidnapped walking to school,child molesters working at schools and living close to schools.Teachers molesting ( and even marrying)their students.Things happen and we have to make our kids understand that in this world they need to be careful and as parents we need to know where they are and what they are doing,even on vacation. Ask them to check in with you or leave notes in the cabin about where they are going and doing.

Laura

Well my sister is not taking her kids on a cruise due to being scared of what may happen to her 8th, 6th and 3rd graders. I am hooked (as you can tell).

thats a shame for your sister. But look what happened in Aruba to an 18 year old honor student. THings happen.

But I also think that people believe a cruise ship is safer then a land vacation and tend to put their brains on vacation also. A cruise is jus as safe as you make it to be.

Like making sure the kids know they should not go to anyones cabin for any reason whatsoever. Although they may seem like a good friend this person is still a stranger. (you'd be surprised on the number of kids hangin gin each others cabins.

Kids can not get off the ship without their sign and sail card. If a parent holds onto the card--they cant get off.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the whole idea of a cruise might lend some parents to be a little more lax with their kids...thinking that since they can't 'get off the ship', they can't be abducted, etc. On our last cruise, I saw children younger than mine walking around alone late at night (yes, past the curfew for children to be alone). I think that a land excursion might be a little more confining for the children in the respect that parents might not be letting their children wander around the resort as freely as they would on a cruise ship. Whether that means it's safer...that is each parents' personal preference. Personally...whether it's a cruise ship or on land, my children are not allowed to freely wander around. Same rules apply for my children, whether they are on land or water!

Yesterday, on the news here in Orlando, there was a story about the trial of a guy who attacked a young girl from the U.K. in an elevator at a hotel.

Face it ... freaks are everywhere. It is up to parents to a) do the best possible job they can watching out for their children and b) to do the best job they can teaching their children how to avoid situations that mght get them into trouble and what to do to get out of them.

It's sad we even have to talk about this ......

Archived