No More Indonesian Cruises?

Roz

I've searched a couple of TA websites, and can't find a HAL cruise that used to be offered a couple of times per year. It was a 2-week cruise of Indonesia that was round trip form Singapore. Anyone know what the story is on this? Is it permanently discontinued, and if so, why?

Roz

We just booked the Maasdam for a 20 day Southeast Asia Highlights cruise that starts and ends in Singapore with stops in Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and China. Is that what you're looking for?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The itinerary I was looking for stopped in Jakarta, Bali, Sumatra, Komodo Island, etc. - a true Indonesian cruise, not an Asian cruise with other countries, save for starting and ending in Singapore.

Guess I'm out of luck. :(

Roz

The itinerary I was looking for stopped in Jakarta, Bali, Sumatra, Komodo Island, etc. - a true Indonesian cruise, not an Asian cruise with other countries, save for starting and ending in Singapore.

Guess I'm out of luck. :(

Roz

We did the first one only a few years ago on the Rotterdam. 2 weeks just Indonesia ending in Singapore. It would be very interesting to learn why they are no longer offering this - logistic problems, port limitations, insufficient passengers, local politics, ....... who knows. The former Dutch colonial connection with Indonesia might be a triggering issue, but I don't know. Seeing Fort Rotterdam while on the Rotterdam was one of those remarkable historic moments for us. Maybe it is just a scarcity increases value issue, like the Voyage of the Vikings.

We thought it was a 100% winner itinerary in our mind. Even better since we started in London and made the grand sweep across multiple ancient and historic civilizations before we got to the ancient Indonesian chapter. Borobodur esp- all so impressive. Sorry it is no longer an option.

I was told by a crew member that the Indonesian itinerary was a coveted one, because it allowed the Indonesian crew onboard to see their families, even if only for a short amount of time.

I don't think Holland's colonial past is the issue, as HAL has a training school in Jakarta.

Roz

OP, I supposed you are referring to an itinerary like this one? No, I haven't seen one lately.

OA414W.jpg

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

0 14 Feb 2014 Singapore 04:00 PM

1 15 Feb 2014 At Sea

2 16 Feb 2014 Tanjung Priok, Jakarta 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

3 17 Feb 2014 Semarang, Java, Indonesia 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

4 18 Feb 2014 At Sea

5 19 Feb 2014 Tanah Ampo, Bali, Indonesia 08:00 AM

6 20 Feb 2014 Tanah Ampo, Bali, Indonesia 11:59 PM

7 21 Feb 2014 Lembar, Lombok, Indonesia 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

8 22 Feb 2014 Komodo Island, Indonesia 09:00 AM 05:00 PM

9 23 Feb 2014 Ujung Padang, Indonesia 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

10 24 Feb 2014 At Sea

11 25 Feb 2014 Probolinggo, Java, Indonesia 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

12 26 Feb 2014 Surabaya, Indonesia 06:00 AM 01:00 PM

13 27 Feb 2014 At Sea

14 28 Feb 2014 Singapore 07:00 AM

The Volendam has been doing this Indonesian discovery itinerary for at least 4 years (I had been booked in2014 but had to cancel, finally got to sail it 2018).

Possible reason that they are not continuing this itinerary is that the Westerdam will be doing Asia itineraries in 2019 - and the size of the ship makes it more difficult to access the port stops?

Friend,

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about, and the last time I saw it posted it was being done on the Volendam. CJ's explanation makes sense, but I still wish HAL was doing that particular itinerary. Princess used to do something similar, and they've also discontinued it.

Roz