Cancel the cruise but not FlightsbyCelebrity?

epixx

We are booked on a cruise a many months in advance and are not certain that the cruise dates will work out for us. However, we are committed to taking a land trip if the cruise does not work.

Right now there are good prices (better than direct from airline) for flights on the FlightsbyCelebrity website. If we purchase the nonrefundable airfare and cancel the cruise, can we still use the flights for the land tour?

I don’t think so. When you book you have to use your cruise reservation # and although the you pay for the flights via cr card when you book them they show on your cruise confirmation. So I would think that when you cancel the cruise it cancels all things associated with that reservation be it a purchased shore excursion, beverage package or flights.

I have never cancelled a reservation with flights via Choice Air but when I have cancelled a cruise my dining package & shore excursion were auromatically cancelled and refunded to my credit card.

We are booked on a cruise a many months in advance and are not certain that the cruise dates will work out for us. However, we are committed to taking a land trip if the cruise does not work.

Right now there are good prices (better than direct from airline) for flights on the FlightsbyCelebrity website. If we purchase the nonrefundable airfare and cancel the cruise, can we still use the flights for the land tour?

If in fact you could use the flights, since they are nonrefundable you would not be able to change the dates of the flights (at least not without some penalty) - so if the dates did not work for the cruise, presumably they would also not work for the land trip!

I would call the airline and see what they say. My guess is they would allow you to cancel with Celebrity while keeping your flight. Celebrity Air is really just actin as a TA when booking flights.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

Hypothetically speaking, put a deposit down on a June 2019 sailing (that you never intend to sail), then buy air tickets to fly in January 2019 accessed by your live cruise booking number. Take the flights, then cancel your June 2019 cruise before final payment date (to avoid penalties).

I did exactly this a couple years ago. Booked a cruise well into the future, then booked flights through Celebrity for a land trip that would be taken before final payment time of the cruise. I took the flights, then cancelled the cruise.

Tomorrow I’m boarding Solstice, but didn’t need flights by Celebrity for this cruise. But I used my Solstice booking number earlier this week to buy flights for a land trip later on this summer. Details here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55925935&postcount=17

Celebrity's/RCCL system won't allow you to do that anymore. You can book an early arrival up to a few months ahead, but wont allow you to book the return trip that happens before the cruise ends

Glad to hear that loop hole has been closed. The non-refundable deposits were in response to the bookings that were made just in case or now it seems in order to get reduced airfare by booking a cruise never intended to be taken.

Celebrity's/RCCL system won't allow you to do that anymore. You can book an early arrival up to a few months ahead, but wont allow you to book the return trip that happens before the cruise ends

If that’s the case now, the only workaround I can think of would be to put deposits on two different sailings. That is assuming the OP needs round trip tickets. I’ve been lucky the two times I’ve used Celebrity air that wasn’t connected with a cruise I only needed one way tickets.

To the OP, if you haven’t already discovered for yourself, you can do all kinds of dummy scenarios on the website without a booking number.