Floatplane Questions

pugmadkate

We booked a flight plane tour through HAL in Alaska and we’re very excited. I have a few questions for those who have done them.

Is there a weight limit per person? I was going to say I’m heavy but what the heck, I’m 300lbs and I’m worried I won’t be allowed to do it

How many people go on the plane? We’re a group of seven so I assume we’ll be on two separate planes?

Thanks!

We booked a flight plane tour through HAL in Alaska and we’re very excited. I have a few questions for those who have done them.

Is there a weight limit per person? I was going to say I’m heavy but what the heck, I’m 300lbs and I’m worried I won’t be allowed to do it

How many people go on the plane? We’re a group of seven so I assume we’ll be on two separate planes?

Thanks!

Usually at the bottom of the HAL excursion they will mention any weight limits and surcharges. Check again.

You'll almost certainly be in two planes. They may decide who goes in which plane and who sits where to balance weight. They didn't do that on our Anchorage flight, but when we did a flightseeing trip in Australia, they actually weighed everyone before assigning us to our planes.

The weight limit on a float plane is total weight, not necessarily by person, but they also need to balance. The most common aircraft up there is a de Havilland Beaver which usually seats 7 passengers + pilot, but the two three-abreast seats are a tight squeeze. A person of size would likely need two seats but might be okay up front with the pilot. Best to check with them in advance. This won't be the first time they've dealt with it.

In flights I've done (helicopters) they weigh each passenger but you can't see the dial and they don't say anything, just write down the weight. It's very discreet.