An Epic Transatlantic Cruise with Walking Difficulties

Day 7 at sea Friday the 13th

I don’t usually bring my laptop along-look what happened first time I did.

However the reason for doing so on this cruise was that the week spent in Orlando we showed a lot of photos stored on there to Florida friends. Also much easier to get and respond to emails than remote connection via phone. As we both had 60 free internet minutes as platinum plus we could use those on ship. So all in all despite the theft it was useful on this holiday.

Especially when I picked up an email from the Malaga tour company reminding of pick up details for the tour to Ronda the following Friday. I had not heard anything back from the other tourmates so put notes on their doors with updated info

Later in the day I find a message on room phone from a lady who said they had received the 2 notes but thought we had them confused with someone else as they knew nothing about this tour!

I had the peoples real names as we had been in email communication pre cruise so headed to guest services and explained we were trying to contact them but wondered whether they had been moved to a different room from the one we had as contact for them.

From previous experience they wont give out room number for security but can contact on your behalf and ask them to return call.

However the guy at guest services said he had no record ofthem on the ship!

Cost for 8 of us on a van was going to be 65 euros perperson

With 2 missing was going to drive cost up to 85 per person

And if we were the only ones to show up we would be liable for full 520 for the van.So it was urgent I contact the other 2 couples who were travelling together. Fortunately they answered our phone call and I explained the situation.

The extra 20 euros per person was going to mean extra 80 euros for their group so we decided the best option was to cancel the tour with a weeks notice so at least the tour company would have chance to find other people .The tour company was very good about it and I was disappointed to miss out on the tour

.We agreed to meet the other 2 couples for lunch and we got on very well.

I had booked Priscilla for the 7pm showing-just myself as 6 doesn’t do shows[as well as spas]

I arrived 6.30 to get a good seat near front when heard my name called.A lady from meet and greet we nicknamed Dancing Queen cos she was always on the dance floor was sitting in second row and invited to join her and her husband

.I have seen the show several times both on Epic and London WestEnd and find it hilarious

On exiting I didn’t have to search far to find 6 at a bar and we carried on the night in the usual way.

Edited by fabnfortysomething
spacing

Day 8 at sea

Another warm sunny day started off with trivia-pretty safe not to win Marley but respectable scores of at least 12 out of 20 per day

More sunbathing, getting full benefit of UBP and trip to thermal spa.

Wrote couple of notes to “Dear Nelson “suggesting Indian speciality restaurant as well as commenting on slowness of internet should be sold by MB not minute as our free minutes were rapidly used up

Also I concierge app pathetic

Got a message on phone thanking us for feedback and then a delivery of a plate of sweets which went into bin

I left another message about the complimentary sparkling wine they laughably refer to as champagne to past guests as being a standing joke .Suggested they give option of a speciality coffee voucher for use in atrium

I sent this the last day so as to avoid “treats” we wouldn’t appreciate

We had another speciality restaurant booking at Le Bistro as part of 4 meal package.It’s not our favourite as most of the dishes have too much garlic for our taste but the steak was good.

This may have been the night of the 80s party in Spice H20 which we had to attend to view Andre in his full glory dressed as Boy George. We are rockers but must admit my toes were tapping as those all familiar songs from our twenties brought back memories!

response from tour company where backpack stolen from van

so far have not named company as have stellar reputation on trip advisor and cruise critic

but when they have at least 2 claims on their website claiming to secure baggage securely during tour is it reasonable for them to deny responsibility when in fact a theft occurs?

response from tour company where backpack stolen from van

so far have not named company as have stellar reputation on trip advisor and cruise critic

but when they have at least 2 claims on their website claiming to secure baggage securely during tour is it reasonable for them to deny responsibility when in fact a theft occurs?

That sounds pretty bad, who are they?

Part of the problem is that in Barcelona, smaller thefts are not considered criminal offences. That is, if you get caught stealing, you get something akin to a parking ticket with no criminal record. Basically just a tax for being clumsy for professional thieves.

Similarly, if something disappears out of a van, it's no big deal legally--no matter who stole it.

There's a lot of stuff worth taking photos of in Barcelona, but all my gear always stays on the ship.

That sounds pretty bad, who are they?

Part of the problem is that in Barcelona, smaller thefts are not considered criminal offences. That is, if you get caught stealing, you get something akin to a parking ticket with no criminal record. Basically just a tax for being clumsy for professional thieves.

Similarly, if something disappears out of a van, it's no big deal legally--no matter who stole it.

There's a lot of stuff worth taking photos of in Barcelona, but all my gear always stays on the ship.

We are in negotiation with company so asked not to disclose name

However they are a big organisation and they offer pick up from ship and drop off airport or hotel with tour in between with your luggage stored securely in van

We know the reputation of Barcelona as pickpocket central so thought this was an ideal way to use our last day after we left the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Day 9 at sea

pretty much a repeat-Groundhog day

not that I’m complaining

Just a note about disabled access around ship

As mentioned before there were a lot of people using mobility scooters wheelchairs and walking aids which made it impossible or very difficult to get from one floor to another without using elevators.Particularly at peak times this could result in a long wait and when doors did open were often already full.

As already noted wheelchair access to La Cucina was oddly tucked away along hallway on deck 14.

Rest of restaurants were OK to access except the atrium and Taste restaurant on deck 5

Even after several trips on Epic I still get disoriented as to which is forward and aft on that level as there are no windows to see sea outside and get a clue. Anyway the elevator bank past photo gallery-I think it’s the forward set links deck 5

If you use the other elevators you have to get from deck 6 to deck 5 via moving stairways which could be very tricky if not steady on feet .

No elevator that I could see at Spice H2O so wheelchair users cant access bar on upper level as involves steps.

Think this was night of Brit night where the weather changed to be a typical British summer night ie cold and windy

6 got use out of his thermal underwear this night

Andre introduced night out on pool deck and then seemed to disappear pretty sharpish

This left our fave band 4 Blue [from Columbia]to entertain

Unfortunately their instruments kept going out of tune in cold weather and took a while to get going

However once they did they rocked the place and gained more fans who would follow them to cavern club

spacing

Day 10 Funchal Madeira

We had visited on a previous Canary islands cruise and had a great experience with Hit the Road Madeira with Jeff and his 4 X4 Jeep.We had rebooked with Gerrimom our meet and greet co ordinator with just us 3 as filling jeep with 6 people gets a bit cramped .At 285 euros for full van hire wa saffordable for just 3 of us in comfort

Unfortunately Jeff met us at pier and explained he had hurt his shoulder a few weeks earlier but didn’t want to cancel on us as he was unable to drive so introduced us to a friend from another company who runs similar tours Mauricio from Just Go Tours

Last time we covered West side of island-this time we concentrated on East side but some in common

It was a bright clear day so great views

We started off with a quick visit to a basket weaving shop-and then up the winding roads to Pico Do Areiro 1811m above sea level and way above clouds

Spectacular views but there were several large tour buses and Mauricio quickly realised we would prefer to be away from crowds.

We headed back down partly through the forest so a real offroad adventure and stopped off at fish farm and local Poncha bar aka firewater

We also had a hair raising but very safe down very narrow roads in town only a few cm clearance either side of jeep and no guardrails-fortunately didn’t meet anything coming other way.This is actually th eonly way locals can get access to their homes by car!

At Porto Da Cruz we were dropped off for a walk around the bay where narrowly missed getting soaked by the waves as they crashed up against the harbour wall It was the furthest 6 had walked in a while !

We met Mauricio round other end where he had parked up at the rum factory-still using steam generated machinery to crush the pulp-looked very hairy health and safety wise!

We declined tasting opportunity as was getting crowded witha tourist bus from another cruise line so driver got us out of there.

At Santana he took us to one of the brightly painted A framehouses still in possession of same family although they live in the modernised annex to it and leave the traditional house open to tourists to look round.The garden was also well tended with colourful plants and an elderly gentleman sliced us off a slice of a local fruit to try

Gerimom took several photos of us on her iphone and emailed to us

Unfortunately her iphone was stolen on last day in Barcelona so she lost all other photos-we are attempting to send some of ours in which she features.

We were offered lunch in a restaurant but not particularly hungry so seaside town of Machico we grabbed an ice cream whilst strolling along the front whilst admiring the created beach with imported sand from mainland-erosion took care of any chance of natural beaches.

Our last stop was Santa Cruz Canico site of a closed due to wind cable car and a statue of Jesus towering over cliffs in a smaller version tha none in RIO De Janeiro

6 tried to recreate the pose for a photo but due to arthtitic upper body cant raise arms higher than 45 degrees from body!

It was a really good day but due to fresh air and exercise we went for a nap back on board and so missed sailaway at Spice H20 and our Crazy Canadian friends made sure to tell us off next time they saw us!!

spacing

Day 11 at sea

Started with usual trivia with our team and came back to cabin to find a phone message from our missing in action tour mates for Malaga

It was a completely different cabin number from the one they had emailed us pre cruise and they were asking what were meeting arrangements for 3 days time!

I left message saying how had tried to contact them several times but guest services said they had no record of them on board. Because of the potential increase in cost I had cancelled the tour the previous Friday. I didn’t hear back from them as I suspect they knew I wasn’t amused-they obviously had our cabin number so why not contact us earlier if they had been given a new cabin and didn’t show up at meet and greet as I suggested!

I have always had great success finding tour mates from rollcall but was a mixed bag on this cruise.

I was signed up for a taxi tour in Gibraltar organised by a family with 1 girl. With 2 other couples signed up there was 1 space available in the van.

As we have visited Gibraltar previously and 6 has the photo of a Barbary ape on his head to prove I the wasn’t bothered about going ashore so I decided to take the 1 place.

I hadn’t been contacted by the organiser so rang him and obviously woke him and his wife up[it was 11am but with time change body clock says 10am.He sounded surprised to hear from me and confirmed meet driver at exit of terminal for 8.30am prompt start. Spoiler alert you know there is going to be an issue.

Another lazy day on board and usage of thermal spa/UBP

7.30 another speciality dining at Moderno aka death by meat!

We obviously had a new waiter as when first skewer of meat came around which we were expected to grab with tongs realised we didn’t have any!

The guy with skewer had a few sharp words and sheepish waiter provided them.

We filled up pretty quickly and turned our card from greento red, signed bill and headed up to cavern club for rest of evening.

spacing

Day 12-Cadiz

We met up with our tourmates Cand G and found our guide Carlos from Tours from Cadiz waiting for us outside ship .I have to say this is probably the best private tour guide we have used.

He quickly assessed G mobility issues and expressed concern how he would manage and then throughout the day did his utmost to help him find easiest route. This was well appreciated by C and G -they said their experiencewith ships tours in other ports which claimed to be wheelchair accessible were anything but and she ended up at shore excursions desk after each one to complain .

Carlos had a regular sedan and expressed concern whether we had enough room and could change to a larger vehicle but reason for smaller car would be our first call-narrow streets

Usually 6 takes seat next to driver as that is easiest to get in and out of vehicle. We agreed G needed that position so C myself and 6 in back seat-cozy but we not that heavy so said we were fine

Drive from Cadiz to hilltop village of Arcos de la Frontera

And the reason for the smaller car=really narrow streets and local cars apparent by their scrapes on body work!

Entertainment watching a delivery van trying to scrape through an archway only an inch wider then van and that was with side mirrors retracted!

Carlos had arranged a guide for us at no extra cost-Sonia who met us at the viewpoint overlooking the plateau below and gave us interesting history of the town

Carlos included in his tour a “photographic package” where he would take photos of us to be emailed later

6 likes to take photos of the photographer so they quickly connected with each other!

As we were on viewing platform a group of people wearing NCL shore excursion stickers arrived so we realised was time to move on

Carlos brought us to his favourite café in centre next to convent and apparently where he brings all his guests/taximates

Included in price bread/coffee water and chance to chat

Until the previousNCL tour group turned up and the tourguide in strident voice amplified by microphone gives talk on history on convent

You can almost feel the locals cringe

As they passed on we breathed a sigh of relief and Carlos and Sonia quietly repeated the relevant info whilst continuing to chat

We were then guided around the narrow streets with Carlo sand Sonia making sure G was able to access the hidden jewels of city centre-there is no way can be completely accessible but they went over and beyond

Sorry to say goodbye to Sonia as it was time to get back in taxi and our next stop the equestrian training school in Jerez de laFrontera

.It was a bit surreal seeing this large park area in middle of busy city and the horse training stables.

Carlos stayed with taxi and met us back once we had a look around and watched the horses being trained.

We were then driven to a local tapas bar as our timed entrance for Sherry factory wasn’t for almost an hour.

It was a bit early for regular eating-obviously locals don’t eat lunch as early as 12.45!

However Carlos had a word with owner and suggested a few tapas dishes and we also had a local beer .Cant remember cost but it was very reasonable .We took opportunity to just chat more.

At the Sherry factory a “jobsworth” security guard was being awkward about letting Carlos park in front and as there was an admission fee anyway we decided to pass on this part and Carlos took us back to Cadiz where he could drive us round and show us his favourite parts.

Dropping back off at ship he took a a final polaroid photo of us with his details on back and promised to email us the other photos he had taken during the day

He was as good as his word and 6 arranged to send back those he had taken

This is one guide we would not hesitate to recommend and would be worth a repeat visit to Cadiz just to meet him for a coffee as he suggested!

Back on board plenty of time before sailaway

No nap and met Crazy Canadians to check for pier runners.

None to be seen but some good craic-think we will be keeping in touch with these people post cruise.

spacing

Enjoying your review very much and looking forward to more. So sorry to hear about your pack being stolen, what an awful experience. I hope the tour company will give you some compensation, although nothing can make up completely for the loss.

Really enjoying your review, dying to get back aboard the Epic will get to your e-mail later. Have booked Tepanyaki, Thermal suite so looking forward to hearing about it.

Keith

Day 13 Gibraltar

Plan was to meet rest of our group and guide outside terminal to start tour 8.30 so bid farewell to 6 and got to appointed place around 8,20 and found guide from Gibraltar rock Tours by John Lopez-no surprise this was actually John Lopez a local Gibraltarian with as he says the most common English first name and most common Spanish surname!

Another couple we recognised from another trivia team were already there and the organiser of trip M with his wife and child turned up at appointed time

But no sign of the other couple to fill the van of 8 people

We waited till 8,45 but John said if we didn’t set off soon the top of the Rock would be crammed with taxis and minivans.This would mean cost of tour would go up from 70 euros per person to 90

We agreed to amended price and piled into the van.

M was very indignant about the no shows and said he had emailed everyone before the cruise with final details

Unfortunately even after I had phoned him to confirm a fewdays before he didn’t think it necessary to contact everyone on ship and reconfirm especially as we had never set eyes on each other.Guess he wont be making that mistake again!

The advantage of the no shows was we all had a bit extra space on the van.

Johns van was in pristine condition-a rarity on Gibraltar as the single roads leading up to top of rock are very narrow and in fact any bigger vans cant access the very top so involves a long walk up-that includes most ship tours.

Winding up the rock we passed the cable car area which had very long queues!

First stop a scenic viewpoint where we took some pictures where could see coast of Africa opposite whilst John went to buy the entry tickets for us all.Thats when re realised he had left his wallet at home! Fortunately the ticket guy knew him well as he is there almost everyday and promised to pay him when took his afternoon group back.

Coming up to St Michaels cave the line of taxis was snaking downhill-John explained this is why he prefers to set off promptly at 8.30 to be ahead of this.He told us how to access the caves and where we would meet him at the other end.

There had been a lot of rainfall in recent weeks so had filtered through the limestone and inside of cave very wet.The metal steps wer every slippery and one gentlemen actually fell.Just as well 6 decided to pass this up

Coming through the caves is fascinating seeing stalagmitesand tites lit up with different coloured lights but not disabled friendly’

At exit and souvenir shop spotted our tourmates C and G from day before-they were really struggling on their ship tour!

Meeting up with John again we drove to the top and the monkey feeding area-or to be precise the Barbary Apes.

Warned not to feed them or attempt to touch them the days of having an ape perched on your head for photo opportunities are over after unfortunate cases of tourists being bitten!

Visit to siege caves-again very wet inside but good scenicviews of Gibraltar below

We went to Europa point to view Africa coastline and pointed out Pillars of Hercules then a drive to both Atlantic and Mediterranean beaches before a drive across the airport runway

Apparantly cross winds from both sea and ocean battle outhere and make it very tricky to land.According to John EasyJet pilots are crazy and just go for it

British Airways pilots are wusses and often abort landing and head for Malaga instead involving acoach transfer for passengers back to Gibraltar.

We had the option of being dropped off back at the ship orin town near Casemates square and we all chose the latter

Quite strange seeing adverts for British fish and chip shops as well as burger king and Costa in discreet blue lettering in the square but wandering further was too familiar to me as being a British hight street anywhere so headed back to ship s a pleasant wander

Once on board located 6 in pool bar where he had just finished regaling bar waitress with his tale of woe that I was ashore spending on his credit cards!

Rest of afternoon and evening followed a pleasantly predictable routine.

spacing

Even after several trips on Epic I still get disoriented as to which is forward and aft on that level as there are no windows to see sea outside and get a clue.

Do they not have the swimming fish in the carpet, which indicate fore/aft on that deck? That was one of the things that I learned by accident, and it's really helped me stay oriented on NCL ships.

Do they not have the swimming fish in the carpet, which indicate fore/aft on that deck? That was one of the things that I learned by accident, and it's really helped me stay oriented on NCL ships.

no Epic class and above they did away with them-orange carpet one side and blue the other

but nothing to indicate front or aft

there is a signpost on level 6 in middle of casino to point to various areas but nothing atrium level 5

Enjoying your review very much and looking forward to more. So sorry to hear about your pack being stolen, what an awful experience. I hope the tour company will give you some compensation, although nothing can make up completely for the loss.

interesting that you agree with others that tour company liable

will get to that part and how tour company had different opinion

Day 14-Malaga

Now had no plans to go ashore I decided to treat myself to a seaweed massage that had been recommended from my first massage at beginning of cruise.

As platinum had 25% discount on signature spa treatments with 20% autogratuity effectively means 5 % less than advertised price.

When I told 6 what was going to do he had a strange look on his face

Turned out he thought this involved laying strands of seaweed over my body and then massaging with them. I just got the image of the Airplane movie spoof scene of beach scene “from here to eternity” as the couple end up covered in seaweed as waves crash over them.

I just couldn’t stop giggling and was getting strange looks from people all around us

Actually it involves having a seaweed based cream being massaged in, wrapped in foil blanket and then washing it all off before a ful lbody massage.To prevent clothing staining you are given a pair of paper knickers to wear and nothing else.

Come to think of it that’s a funnier image than the previous one!

It is very relaxing though

even more relaxing I didn't get sales pitch to buy products after either massage

I wonder whether feedback from guests how annoying they find it have had results.

Spent rest of afternoon lazing around before meeting our crazy Canadians for 6pm sailaway

And my excuse is I was still very relaxed from the massage so the white wine went straight to my head so when I stood up the ship moved a bit more than usual!

6 guided me back to our room and says it was like playing pinball with me bouncing off the hallway walls and him trying to keep me on a straight course

I may have fallen asleep at that stage and woke next morning with a large bruise on my upper arm!!!!

spacing

no Epic class and above they did away with them-orange carpet one side and blue the other

but nothing to indicate front or aft

there is a signpost on level 6 in middle of casino to point to various areas but nothing atrium level 5

We sailed on the Escape in February, and they had the fish in the carpet. Maybe it's just the Epic, which has a lot of design peculiarities.

So whixh officer did you dine with?

Just off Bliss - you an not compare the two. It makes Epic look what it is an oddity in the fleet.

Bliss is stunning perfect and the crew are wonderful.

HD Jovo is great.

So whixh officer did you dine with?

Just off Bliss - you an not compare the two. It makes Epic look what it is an oddity in the fleet.

Bliss is stunning perfect and the crew are wonderful.

HD Jovo is great.

It was Catalina from Romania and her assistant Joel

She is head of Human Resources

Day 15-at sea

First order of the day was the final trivia and viewing Marley in his/her final glory

Must have been double the original weight with so many additions including now a cardboard ship for him to rest on called SS Andre ,A white elephant sail banner, an answer sheet with 20 terms relating to elephants, a fishing rod to use off back of his boat

Added to the cosmetic enhancements such a blusher, pink toenail polish-this was a tribute to the creative talents of 8 sea days winning teams and who on earth would have room in their luggage!

After the final quiz which we scored a respectable 15/20 It was bated breath whilst Andre totalled up the scores over the cruise and the final 3 teams out of 44 were revealed in reverse order. The winning team were a group of 8 and they were all given vouchers of some kind individually and the eventual home of Marley may never be known

We spent the rest of the day catching up with people we had met on the cruise and swapping contact details

You guessed it they were all in my diary in the stolen rucksack!

So if you are reading this and recognise who we are and haven’t already done so send me an email to cruisecritic at escomb dot org dotuk

Packing up that night left suitcases outside cabin to be collected leaving just overnight stuff and air cabin hand luggage including all electricals in that infamous rucksack

spacing